Unique shopping on the Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to the Amalfi Coast in September. Does anyone have suggestions on where to find unique shops, i.e. for olive oil, leather goods, shoes, pottery, etc.? Are there any particular items on the Amalfi Coast that are special to that region? Thank you for your input and suggestions.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:03 AM
dln

When my parents go to the Amalfi Coast, the one thing they always purchase is a good bottle of limoncello. I can definitely vouch for this particular souvenir! It is a specialty of this region.

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:20 AM

There is lovely coral jewelry on the Amalfi Coast and lots of beautiful pottery, the best known being Vietri, which is made in the coastal village of Vietri Sul Mare. Limoncello, as mentioned above, is a wonderfully refreshing chilled drink in the summer.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:28 AM

In that area, you see a wide selection of ceramics. The best selection and prices that I found were in Ravelo at Ceramiche d'Arte Pascal. Can't miss it in town. Almafi is famous for their hand-made paper. Sorrento is famous for cameos, and marquetry (intricate scenes made with different types and shades of wood). We bought a sea shell with a cameo head carved through the shell for $35 (about). It's beautiful. Positano has a number of women's dress shops that are designed by the local store owner. There are also a large number of shoe shops and vendors who will make you a pair of sandals while you wait (I didn't need any more shoes - took too many as it was). I also found a large amount of sea glass and sea ceramic mixed in with the rocks on the beach in Positano! Brought back a large bag of both. There was also a great antique store in Positano just up from the Sinenuse (sp?) that had a lot of unique items. My one regret? I which I had bought more!!!! Oh well, next trip. Ciao . . .
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:54 AM

I second the limoncello. The ceramics are pretty rustic there, and chancey to bring back - the little chicken pitchers have a fun story about them and are so ugly they are cute. We went to a cameo factory actually in Torre del Greco I believe, and they are nice.
Lots of inlaid wood items, from furniture to jewelry boxes. Stay off the main square if you shop in Sorrento - it's marked up for the busloads of tourists. You acn negotiate in the smaller shops elsewhere. Some linen items like tablecloths with embroidery by the nuns...so I'm told. Check the sizes carefully first since their tables sizes are different. Also, the local wine is Lacryma di Christi (tears of Christ ) grown on the slopes of Vesuvius I'm told and it's rather nice. And Naples has the Capodimonte ceramics which I'm sure are everywhere - usually delicate handmade flower arrangements from roses to the more exotic bouquets.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your wonderful responses! I can't wait to go! I knew about the limencello and I definitely plan to bring some home for our hot summers here in DC.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 11:58 AM
ira

Dear Afig,

You should be able to get genuine limoncello in DC. Check prices before you go.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:02 PM

It is required as a condition for permission to leave the area that you buy an inlaid wooden music box that plays "Return to Sorrento". No trouble finding a shop that sells them as they are everywhere. They really are very nice as I have bought one for each daughter and my wife (6 in all) through the years.

Larry J
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:14 PM

In Sorrento there is a man who sells inlaid wood who always gives us a great price. He is down the main alley across from a British pub with seating outside. I live in Italy and can guarantee him to have the cheapest prices. He will also change out the music box to play whatever you want.

In Vietri there are a couple of nice places to buy ceramic. Giovanni's up on the hill has nice rooster pitchers and some nice bowls (they also do custom work). There is also a woman who has is on the right hand side of the little coffee shop in the main square (when you are looking at the buildings). She is twice as big as the others and actually owns two shopping stalls! She is a little pricey but her bowls are the prettiest in Vietri.

In Amalfi, when you are looking for Limoncello and serving sets go further back into the shopping area. The first few places will rip you off!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:16 PM

There is a shop in Positano, forget the name, but it's on the main street going down to the beach, that sells lemon themed souvenirs. Soaps shaped and smelling like lemons, etc. and lots of different limoncellos in pretty bottles,some handpainted. They are great souvenirs.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 02:11 PM

Ceramiche d'Arte Pascal is exactly where I ordered some custom tiles for a backsplash in a kitchen, Parker! In fact, if anyone is interested, they have a website that shows what the 20 artisans of his shop create. I thought the shop was lovely and the staff so helpful.
You'll have no problem finding some unique items, Afig. September is the time of the lemon festivals, no? The owner of the B&B I stayed at said it was the best time to visit the Amalfi!
Enjoy the Amalfi, I thought it was wonderful!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 02:25 PM

Last trip we stayed at the Miramare in Positano, and loved the plates they used in the dining room (every one had a different design). The signora told us where to buy them -- on the main road, up the hill going towards Amalfi. Bus stop is nearby, and it's almost opposite the Sirenuse. (Can't remember the store name.) We bought plates, serving dishes, mugs, and had them shipped. They arrived in perfect condition, and quickly too. While we were shopping, one couple was buying to stock a new restaurant in California -- my kind of business travel! (I wish.)

Not the cheapest souvenir, but certainly one that gives pleasure and brings back good memories every time they are used.

Limoncello doesn't stay around long, but it's lovely while it lasts! And like Parker, I collected lovely seaglass on the beach there, in a great variety of colors.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 02:40 PM
dln

Parker, thank you so much for mentioning about collecting the seaglass. My 14 year old daughter collects it and would have been so disappointed had her father and I not brought any home to her from our upcoming trip. You have just saved this mama's bacon.