lodging in venice

Search

lodging in venice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lodging in venice

After being turned away by pension accademia and la calchina, i am trying to fnd a third choice hotel for october. i have reservations at the ala...is this good? or should i keep looking? the rate is 194 euro
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 08:33 AM
ira

Hi
Someone just returned from the Locanda Barbarigo and posted a good review. It's about the same price or less.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 11:54 AM

There's nothing wrong with the Ala at all. Please don't say you are one of those people who make multiple reservations in the same city, then cancel all but one at the last minute. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Wayne. no, i do not multiple book. i said i had no luck with my first two choices. that is why i wanted to make sure the third was the charm. also i have plenty of time to try for another spot if highly recommended. "nothing wrong at all" does not sound like a ringing endorsement to me and at the present exchange rate, i had hoped to get a highly recommended place for
$250 USD or so. maybe i have too high expectations. we are not picky and we have been to other parts of italy twice before but we use our money wisely.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 03:17 PM
glo

We (family of 5)spent 3 nights at the Hotel Saturnia in Venice. We had 2 adjoining rooms for a great rate($288/night), which included both rooms and a very good breakfast. 5 minutes away from St. Mark's Sq. The hotel gets mixed reviews on this board, but we were very pleased with our stay there.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 06:43 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to condemn the Ala with faint praise. It's a nice hotel, and the refurbished rooms are larger than many you find in Venice, and very comfortable. Get a deluxe room or junior suite if you can. Don't go for a "canal view" room because it isn't worth the extra charge; you can't really see much of the canal anyway. Good luck.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 07:00 PM

wondering,

We stayed at the Pausania on the San Barnabas canal near the floating vegetable market. Very nice and quiet

AndrewDavid
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 09:50 PM

Try Locanda Orseolo. There are many favorable reviews both here and at tripadvisor.com. It is a new hotel-just a little over a year old. I have not stayed there but am planning to do so next year. The location is along the Orseolo canal and they can offer you a canal view room. It's right next to Piazza San Marco also. Rate is average, around 200 euro or a bit less. Nice, helpful owners/staff also.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 12:28 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Antico Doge in Venice last September and were dazzled by our room. The breakfast room was also fabulous, and the breakfasts among the best we had in Italy. We paid 200 euros for a superior double (There was also a discount for cash. Maybe the room was 225 with credit card of 200 if we paid cash). No view from our room, but the room and bath were so fabulous, we didn't care.

They also recommended a great restaurant for dinner - the best we had in Italy.

Have a marvelous trip!

Great location on a small canal midway between the Rialto and San Marco.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 06:58 AM

I think the location of both the Hotel Ala and Locanda Barbarigo is about perfect for Venice. They are both just off the Santa Maria del Giglio stop and both are nice places. The Ala is much larger.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 12:37 PM

We loved the Ala. The rooms are nice and a good size. We had a canal view room and it was so much fun to hear and see the singing gondoliers. The hotel is in a wonderful location, the staff is very helpful and the breakfast is great. You will love the Ala.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 05:58 PM

Stay with your Ala reservation. We just returned from our stay there and it is a great hotel. You will appreciate its short walk from and to the vaparetto with your luggage (no bridges) and to Piazza St Marco. Rooms are spotless, quiet, and a comfortable size. Breakfasts are substantial (yogurt, cereals, fresh and canned fruit, Italian cold cuts, cheeses, pastries, toast, crusty rolls, juices, etc.) We would stay there again.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 03:42 AM

We stayed at a charming two room B&B for less than 150E a night. It had two bed rooms, full kitchen, bathroom and your own private little garden.

It was about 7 or 8 minute walk south of San Marco square. If you're interested I'm sure I could dig up the email address from my trip notes.

Cheers, the turnip
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:25 AM

Dear Turnip,
I would like to know about that B&B in Venice. I know Venice is expensive but I was hoping we can get something for less than $200 a night! Please send the name of this inn. We will be there sometime in late September.
Thanks very much!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:47 AM

The B&B is called Gli Angeli. I found it on the website venere.com The reviews of her place were very positive which led us to staying there in the 1st place. You can however save yourself at least 10% by contacting them directly. The website is nice in that it gives a few photos of the place.

The very cordial woman who owns the B&B is named Sonia. Her email is [email protected]

If you do stay there be sure and take her suggestion about the local restaurant. We had a great dinner there. Hope this helps!

Cheeres, the turnip
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 10:54 AM

Tried to post this before on my return from Venice.
We got rooms in a four star Palazzo in Venice last week with lastminute.com
We paid 125 euros per room. Canal view and antique repro furniture. Good breakfast. It was called the Palazzo Priuli.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 03:58 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Ala this past February and we loved it! I think that we (2 kids, 2 adults) all agreed that this was our favorite hotel of our Italy trip. The location was wonderful and the rooms were very pretty. The breakfast was plentiful. We had a canal view as well. We would definitely stay there again.