UK Itinerary Help Please.....

Jan 12th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

UK Itinerary Help Please.....

Could someone please have a look at our UK itinerary to see if I have created a doable itinerary for touring with a car. I have tried to take into account the very long weekend (with the royal wedding) by leaving the Bath area to later in the trip.

Wed 27/4/11 London to York, via Stratford-upon-Avon and Nottingham Forest
Thurs 28/4/11 York to Edinburgh
Fri 29/4/11 Edinburgh
Sat 30/4/11 Edinburgh to Dublin (ferry from Holyhead early evening)
Sun 1/5/11 Dublin
Mon 2/5/11 Dublin to Kenmare via Limmerick
Tues 3/5/11 Kenmare to Waterford, via Blarney
Wed 4/5/11 Waterford to Cardiff, via Rosslaire (ferry Rosslaire to Pembroke in AM)
Thurs 5/5/11 Cardiff to Bath
Fri 6/5/11 Bath
Sat 7/5/11 Cotswold area
Sun 8/5/11 Cotswold area to Oxford
Mon 9/5/11 Oxford to London--return trip
Jan 12th, 2011, 02:38 PM

I cant comment on the Ireland bits, but the England parts dont leave any time to actually see anything. For example - your first day is about at least 6-7 hours driving (hoping there is no traffic issues) which doesnt leave you any time to actually see Stratford at all.

You arent leaving anytime to even see York as you will head to edinburgh the day after you arrive (arrival will be in the evening). You may as well just take a fast train from London to Edinburgh if you arent going to see anything as the travel will be on the motorways, which arent scenic drives anyways.

Saturday - the drive from Edinburgh to Holyhead is again a full days drive (at least 7 hours not counting any traffic delays, most likely more) so again a write off day. so in your first 4 days you only have 1 day where you will see anything, thats in Edinburgh.

Your Cardiff to Bath and Bath day look reasonable, as does your Cotswolds/Oxford days.

I really think you need to take driving times into consideration. It may look like a small island but go to google maps and plot your time and add about 30% to account for the traffic - especially on a very long weekend in Britain.
Jan 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks jamikins. I hear what you are saying. I feel that I may have to take Edinburgh out of my itinerary as this is the putting the pressure on our time!

Any suggestions re Cotswold location or should we see this area from Bath or Oxford?
Jan 12th, 2011, 03:00 PM

This itinerary is . . . well, have fun in the car.

Neither Ireland, Scotland nor Wales have roads of the quality that the average European or American is accustomed to, so drive times for the mileage are FAR higher than what you'd get in the US. A 150 mile drive in Ireland won't be less than 3.5 hours, even though in much of the US you could bomb down the road and hit that total in around 2. York to Edinburgh is minimum 4h 15m even though it's barely 210 miles, but I can get to Houston in just about three even though it's farther away from my home in Dallas County.

And that's a LOT of moving around -- I count about eight different overnight locations in 12 nights. That means you lose a whole morning each of those eight days that you check out.

Rethink this. Start by adding about 30-45 minutes minimum to any route planner times you get -- the UK is opposite the US in this regard.
Jan 12th, 2011, 03:02 PM

I'd take Dublin out before Edinburgh, no doubt.
Jan 12th, 2011, 03:27 PM

1. "London to York, via Stratford-upon-Avon and Nottingham Forest"

Apart from the impracticality of this, what are you expecting to see in Nottingham Forest?

If you mean you want to tour the City Ground, you merely don't have time. If you think you're going to see some dense woodland that once offered Robin Hood a hiding place: well there never was any ("forest" in 12th century England didn't mean woodland), there most certainly isn't any now, and Robin Hood was an invention of 14th century writers anyway.

2. The Irish bit would work for someone living in Britain or Ireland. But taking a hire car onto the ferries costs a fortune both in ferry charges and in the near-certainty the hire company will screw you rigid on penalty charges for taking a British-hired car into Ireland. Check: but you'll almost certainly find it cheaper and quicker to dump hired car 1 in Scotland, fly from Scotland to Cork, Waterford or Shannon (and then from Ireland to Cardiff Bristol or Birmingham), and hire new cars in Ireland and on your return to Britain than do all this cars on ferry stuff.

3. The criticism of Ireland's road system by some posters is hopelessly outdated. You're planning to spend infinitely longer driving than makes any sense at all: but oddly, your Ireland bit is the most feasible. Even Waterford to Cardiff works (apart from the problem of cross-channel cars) if there's a high-speed catamaran - but it's absolutely impossible by conventional ferries.

4. You're changing hotels far too often. There's no point at all in staying in the Cotswolds UNLESS you want a night in a small, quiet, proper village: your itinerary seems obsessed with big towns and Irish tourist traps. If a civilised night's not important, visit the Cotswolds from Bath or Oxford (but understand the problems most foreigners face trying to get a car into Oxford. And Bath's not much better). If you want a quiet night: Burford's the best place between Bath and Oxford
Jan 12th, 2011, 03:41 PM

ditto the above - why go to York just to leave the next day? personally I would cut out york and Edinburgh, and go straight to Dublin.

after touring Ireland [a much better paced trip] spend the rest of the trip in south west Wales, then drive to Cardiff and get the train back to London.

leave Bath and the cotswolds to another trip.
Jan 12th, 2011, 05:37 PM

Only you know why you picked your destinations, how much you can tolerate driving on an unfamiliar road on an unfamiliar side (I'm guessing), whether you care to pack so often, and whether you want to "see" places or actually have some time at them. No value judgement.

BUT I'd suggest you at the very least try a mapping service like google maps, put in your possible itinerary each day, and whatever time it gives you, double it. (On a pretty ambitious trip where DH drove us on a loop this last summer for 9 days from London clockwise through Wales along Hadrian's Wall back through York to Dover and back to LHR, it generally took 1.5 times as long as googlemap said, but I'd anticipated twice as long so we were always ok.) You also have to figure that getting around in a town/city is going to take MUCH longer than you think. And you don't want to drive into Oxford, and maybe some other places, so that means parking car and getting public transport.

I'm the last to say It can't be done--and I'm not at all familiar with most of your destinations. But I would urge you to look a little more closely at suggested routes/times/etc. and adjust accordingly. I think ambitious even hectic paces are fine, but don't set yourself up for something impossible where all you do is drive place to place.
Jan 12th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice. I did consult google maps but did not realise that I need to factor in extra hours. I will do so. It is obvious that I would be best to remove either York/Edinburgh or Ireland but the decision is difficult which would leave time to actually see the areas.
Jan 12th, 2011, 09:32 PM

Either do Ireland, or a bit of England, or a smaller bit of England and a bit of Scotland. You simply do not have time for the whole shebang in 2 weeks.

Which places you decide to visit/drop are up to you. But you do need to cut back a whole lot.

Also -- are you arriving in the UK on 27 April - or will you have been in London for some time? Because you will NOT want to drive immediately after a long haul flight. You should give it a day or two to recover from the jetlag and get acclimated a bit.
Jan 12th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Yes thanks janisj, I will need to make a choice between removing York/Scotland or Ireland.

We arrive on the 24th of April and are in London for 2.5 days and then after the two weeks of touring back in London for a further 5 days. We had to split our time in London due to the wedding. I was thinking of using one of these days to train to Oxford rather than using one of these travelling days so this is another option.
Jan 13th, 2011, 12:48 AM

For the UK portion

Train London to York (2 hours)
Train York to Edinburgh (2h30m)
Fly Edinburgh to Dublin...

...Fly Dublin to Cardiff / Bristol, Hire car
Bath, Cotswolds, Stratford-upon-Avon, Oxford, London (2-3 days)

There, everything in your itinerary, only a couple of days in a car, substantially cheaper & you get time to actually do something apart from look at the back of a truck.