Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

early drop off for Car Rentals at Edinburgh airport?

Jan 12th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

I have a 7:15am flight out of Edinburgh. All car rental centers say they open at 6:30am and I want to drop off the car no later than 6:00am. Does Hertz or Budget have drop off boxes and then is there a shuttle back to the airport?
Jan 12th, 2011, 09:19 PM

The rental agencies are at the airport so no need for a shuttle. I haven't had to use the out-of-hours drop off but I'd be very surprised if the rental desks inside the terminal don't have drop boxes.

But - are you staying in Edinburgh the night before? If so, I'd drop the car that evening and take the airport bus (or a cab) to EDI in the morning.
Jan 13th, 2011, 12:40 AM

The car hire place in Edinburgh airport has all been upgraded they are no longer inside the terminal but in a new purpose built facility a couple of hundred yards away,all clearly signposted,I used this a few weeks ago after my flights down south were cancelled.The new facility is very well organised,there are drop off boxes at the entrance from the car returns area side of the building.I dropped of my keys there about 7.00am.I didn't use Hertz but there were boxes for several companies there.
There is a covered walkway from the facility to the terminal ,about a 3 minute walk
Jan 13th, 2011, 12:42 AM

I wouldn't use key drop offs - too many cases where additional charges have been made for real or imagined damage.

I can't see any reason why you couldn't return the car the previous day - perhaps to a more central depot - and stay in the centre of Edinburgh overnight. There are frequent buses to the airport from the centre of Edinburgh
Jan 13th, 2011, 12:50 AM

You could ask Hertz if they have a drop box