Edinburgh in a day

Search

Edinburgh in a day

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edinburgh in a day

Here I am again.....wanting MORE advice to make the absolute most of our lightning trip to the UK. Is there a guided tour of the castle leaving at regular intervals and from where? If so, is this the best way to go or could we just wander around ourselves? And dinner - recommendations for a restaurant near the castle that is not overpriced. Thanks guys.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
what do you consider 'over priced'?

You can do the castle at your own speed. Do be aware that driving and parking in Edinburgh is very difficult.

I am getting very curious about your itinerary. A morning in Bath, Stroud, a lightening visit to Chester, Chatsworth/Lyme Park on the fly, Robin Hoods Bay, and now Edinburgh. How much time do you have for this drive? You are covering a LOT of territory and in most places the driving is not fast.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:09 PM

Do it yourself, it's easy enough.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Fair comment BigRuss....perhaps I am getting a bit lazy, but I have spend my whole school hols on this trip and it's back to school Monday yikes!!!!

Janisj -itinerary is Bath, Cam, North Wales, Chester, York, Durham 2 nights, Edinburgh, Lake District, Peak District (Matlock), Cam, day trip to Oxford/ Blenheim Palace, Windsor (the castle via Stonehenge), London(and fly home)

We will obviously been going quickly around the country, but I have tried to find a route that uses some of the major roads - M1, M5, to get us places quickly. Basically we will only see countryside and one main attraction each day. I'm sure we will return.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

OH sorry, didn't reply to your question Janisj on 'over-priced'. I guess more than 20 pounds for dinner would fit into this category for us.

Also we will park and ride to our inner city sights/sites in most places. It seems easier and more relaxing although it will take a bit of time.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:52 PM

If those are all one night stands (other than Durham) you'll have a devil of a time making this work. There are no motorways between several of those places and where there are they can be very congested. Are you taking drive times off a website calculator? If so, you generally need to add 25% to 35% minimum.

As for where to eat in Edinburgh - You'll be going at breakneck speed if you are driving up from Durham and then the next morning leaving for the Lakes. I'd just pick a pub somewhere along your walking route down from the castle.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 12:57 AM

The Indian which is at the top of Jphnston Terrace (on the right as you come down from the Castle Esplanade) is very good.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 01:52 AM

>Johnston<
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sheila....Indian sounds great! Thanks for saving us some precious time. Tell you how it is when we return.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 04:44 PM

You will enjoy Edinburgh Castle and then a leisurely stroll down the Royal Mile to Holyrood House Palace. We ate lunch at Acanthus Cafe and dinner below the cazstle at Bee Hive and White Hart pubs.
Ozarksbill
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 09:15 AM

You can join a guided tour at the castle and they leave often but the explanatory signs are also good - get a recorded Walkman tour at the office and then you have commentary and move at your own pace.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 09:49 AM

PQ -- this is the same OP as your Bath post. They are on a different wave length now . . . . .