Where to spend other 3 days?

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to spend other 3 days?

Will be in London for 4 days in September and have another 3 to spend elsewhere. Having a hard time choosing between Bath (and area)and Edinburgh (and area).

Have never been to either but am looking for some variety besides city living. Although Edinburgh is a city, I thought the Scottish flavor and surrounding areas might add the variety that I'm looking for.

Any thoughts, opinions, advice?
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:34 PM

Bath can easily be seen in one day. I would therefore choose Edinburgh.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:40 PM

For a change of pace, I vote for Bath. Better yet, get really out into the beautiful countryside to one of the Moors (Exmoor or Dartmoor) or some scenic coastal area such as northern Devon/Somerset (Dunster) or southern Dorset (Branscombe). Gorgeous rural scenery south and/or west of Bath.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:42 PM

I'd do Edinburgh, OR, stay in London and do daytrips: Bath, Windsor Castle, Hampton Court, Kew Gardens, Oxford or Cambridge, etc etc
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 02:44 PM

oh, I'd choose Edinburgh. I loved that city and the countryside is very pretty a bit outside--the heather on the hills and all that. I was there in August and there was some so I am guessing in September, also. Edinburgh is very pretty and there are some interesting things to see there, in addition to the countryside.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

If we choose Edinburgh, do you suggest renting a car to explore outer areas? Or, as with London, is it appropriate to do day tours and use the train to get from London to Edinburgh. Thanks for your advice thus far!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 05:27 AM

Since you would be in Edinburgh for three 3 days, a car is not absolutely needed. You would have enough to do without one. It depends on what you want - it is easy enough to drive around the area if you are more interested in the countryside. As for taking the train from London to Edinburgh, it's convenient from getting from center city to center city (tip: pay the extra $20 for 1st class), but it would be much quicker to fly.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:51 AM

I did not rent a car in Edinburgh so can't speak to how much that costs or if it's a good idea. I would think taking the train to Edinburgh would be a good idea as it's not that far. I spent about 3-4 days in Edinburgh, and most of that time spent in the city itself. One day I took a day trip to the countryside (it's been a while so I can't recall the goal -- perhaps some castile, but the countryside was pretty) but did that with one of these day tour bus companies. I can't give a name as someone else arranged it and it was a while ago, but I assume such things still exist and could be a good alternative.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 11:23 AM

I love Edinburgh. Haven't been to Bath. But may add another possible suggestion? How about York and Yorkshire Dales? It is a beautiful area with many historic sites and lovely countryside. I would stay in one of the country house hotels. Very different experience than London.