Uffizi Gallery

Apr 27th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Uffizi Gallery

Hello Travelers - DH and I would like to visit the Uffizi Gallery next month. We will be coming from Siena on the train. I have looked at various sites and for guided tours we could easily pay 90 to 100 euros (over $100) for the two of us. Is there another way to do this without paying such an exorbitant fee?! Is a guided tour necessary or can we rent the ear phones and do our own and be just as happy? Thanks much for any advice.
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:12 AM

I usually take the audio tours at museums and find they are very helpful. Guided tour is always nice but with the terrible exchange rate 100 E would be about $135 US. Frankly I'd rather spend that elsewhere. I guess it depends on just how much info you want. I'll be at the Uffizi in a few weeks and DH and I will rent the audio.
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:12 AM
MaureenB

If they offer an audio program, I think you'd be fine with that at the Uffizi, but you might want to study up on it and know what pieces of art you especially want to see. It's chock full of important art, and some amazing pieces you won't want to miss-- like Botticelli's Birth of Venus. My favorite.

Be sure to get a reservation for the Uffizi, especially since you just have the one day. If you search this Forum, you can find the phone number to call, because you won't have a Florence hotel to do it for you.
>-

Apr 27th, 2007, 08:13 AM

PS I hope you have a reservation. It helps so you don't have to stand in a line for 2 hours......
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:14 AM

I used the audio tour last October and found it very good. Try to do a bit of reading beforehand and you will get a lot more out of the visit.
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:18 AM

We were traveling with three kids and found the walking tour in Rick Steves Florence book to be interesting and entertaining. Not super-intellectual, but plenty informative.
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:20 AM

This is a good thread for info on how to book a reservation at the Uffizi.

http://tinyurl.com/yohrsb
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:40 AM

Kulagal: Here's the website for the Uffizi.

http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/en...zi/Default.asp

I think you will find all the info you need to reserve a time, as others have suggested, and to choose those galleries you might be most interested in.

The painting I most wanted to see was the Birth of Venus and ended up loving Primavera even more. Coincidentally, there was a print of Primavera hanging over the bed in our hotel. Both are exhibited in a beautiful room, with great lighting. We love art museums and the Uffizi is one of our favorites.
Apr 27th, 2007, 09:09 AM
MKE

The audio guide is fine for the most part, but I feel I would have gotten more out of the visit had I read a guidebook, such as Rick Steves' Mona Smiles or something similar. Overall, after about 4 hours in the museum, I felt overwhelmned and numb. I liked the Piti much better than the Uffizi.
Apr 27th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Dear all - Thank you so much for all your tips in such real time. It's quite reassuring to know that we can enjoy this great museum without spending a wad to do it. We have used audio tours before and they always seemed adequate. I thought this museum, because of its size, might have warranted a guide to pare down what's really a must to see. The idea to read about the museum before going just to get a list of what we want to see within the alloted 3 hrs makes perfect sense. I will call tomorrow to make a reservation.

MKE: Why do you like the Piti better?
Cheers!
Apr 27th, 2007, 12:21 PM

What Rick Steves book does is to talk about one major work in each room. We were visiting on the same time frame as a couple of guided tours, and they were doing pretty much the same thing. (But they were traveling in a pack of 40 people or so!)
Apr 27th, 2007, 01:48 PM

If yours is a daytrip from Siena, note that the bus to Florence leaves from inside the center of Siena, while the train station is outside the walls. Depending on where you're staying, the bus may be more convenient than the train. The bus terminal in Florence is close to the main train station, very central.