Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advise train travel between Florence and Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone advise me of train travel between Florence and Rome? My husband I will be traveling with 3 young children on a Saturday. Is there more than one train line to take? Should tickets be purchased in advance? How is luggage/storage handled? Is train travel between the two cities the preferred means of travel? Thanks!
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 04:32 AM

Can anyone advise me of train travel between Florence and Rome? YES, EXPECT PLENTY OF HELP HERE AT FODORS.

Is there more than one train line to take? ALTHOUGH YOU HAVE MANY CHOICES OF TRAINS, MOST VISITORS FROM THE USA OPT FOR THE HIGHER SPEED "EUROSTAR" (WHICH IS SLIGHTLY COSTLIER THAN THE LOCAL TRAINS THAT STOP IN EVERY VILLAGE BETWEEN FLORENCE AND ROME).

Should tickets be purchased in advance? NOT NECCISSARILY, BUT THERE ARE INTERNET ONLY SPECIALS FOR THE EUROSTAR THAT YOU NEED TO BUY IN ADVANCE TO GET THE SAVINGS.

How is luggage/storage handled? MOST TYPES OF LUGGAGE WILL FIT IN THE OVERHEAD AREA ABOVE YOUR SEATS. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CARRYING YOUR OWN LUGGAGE ON AND OFF THE TRAIN.

Is train travel between the two cities the preferred means of travel? ABSOLUTLEY, YES.

Thanks! YOU'RE WELCOME.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 05:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The discount specials aren't available for this route, but there is a family ticket if your children are under 12. Total price on the ES train for all of you will be about 100E for 2nd class and travel time is 90 minutes. There are ES trains twice an hour so it's not necessary to purchase in advance unless you are traveling on a holiday.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 05:43 AM
ira

Hi gd,

Train schedules, etc are at www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Children under 4 ride free.

1 child 4-11 with 2 adults - get the family fare

1 child 4-11 buy the youth fare.

Take the ES* - they run on time. 2 cl is fine.

You can buy your tickets at any train station in Italy or from most TAs.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Just be aware that you don;t have much time to get on and off the train -- 10 minutes or so in bigger/starting staions - only a few in smaller stations. And your luggage, kids and all their stuff are your responsaibility to get up onto the train (often up 3 steep, narrow steps) and store luggage on overhead racks (large bags will not fit). If you have large bags you need to look for an area to leave them - usually at the end of the car.

I know most people say train is better - and if that's your only trip for most people train is a better choice.

But - if you have 3 really small kids (strollers and kids you have to hang onto in public places) you may find car easier - since you do it on your own timetable and don;t have to watch the kids and the luggage and get to the right spot and onto the right train in only a few minutes.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 01:59 PM

I'm sure this question has been answered elsewhere, but can someone please clarify the ticket validation process? If I buy my tickets in advance online at trenitalia, do I just stamp my confirmation printout before I get on board? Just making sure there isn't an extra step where I need to exchange my printout from home for a "real" ticket at the station. Thanks very much for any help.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Assuming you have tickets with a reservation for a specific train and seats, you don't need to do anything. You just hang on to your printed "tickets" until the conductor comes to check them.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 02:12 PM

It is better to go by train because it is an extra expense to have to park your car in either city. But
nytraveler has a point. If you have three small children , this is what I understood, you have to be prepare to get in fast and out fast. I guess small children of a certain age, 7 or 8 carry their own back packs Best thing is to have as little as possible luggage.
We went to Florence and came back from Rome recently and were blessed by leaving everythng in our Rome hotel. Carried only a small had bag at it was really wonderful.
Once you buy your ticket it has the date , seat and wagon marked, you do not need to validaded , conductor will ask for it as a mere formality.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Thanks so much for the information, Patrick and Graziella! I'll just bring my printout from home and board the train. Do you know what happens if I lose the printout before the train trip? Not that I'm planning to, of couse, but anything can happen... Thanks again!
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 02:17 PM

mary09

The ticket validation process is intended for tickets that do not specify a particular train number/time. IC and local trains have open seating and tickets are good for any train that goes to your chosen destination. By requiring you to stamp (validate) your ticket with the date and time just before you board, you won't be able to use the ticket again if the conductor never arrives to review it (which often happens on these slower trains).

All ES train tickets specify a particular train, include seat reservations, and can't be used on another train. Therefore, they don't require validation.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Ah hah, that makes complete sense! Thanks, Ellen.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 02:28 PM

This doesn't stop people from validating their ES tickets--I know I do. I do it because it helps to remember to validate the tickets that really need it and because I just like to. It's no problem to validate a ticket that doesn't need one.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Mary,
Another vote for train. The ES is very comfortable, and all you need to do is print out extra copies and each adult have one so if one gets lost it's not a big deal. I think if you did loose it you can speak with the agent before boarding to get another.

Everyone told me not to bother with prepaying or reserving seats but it was nice to have that done and one less worry and know we'd be grouped together. Second-class is fine on an ES and in addition to a quick journey you have the advantage of a toilet at the end of each wagon (always important with kids). Italians love children and I'd be very surprised if you don't have offers to help you get things put away and off the train at your destination. The trains slow long before hitting the station, so you have plenty of notice to gather things up.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Thanks, Ellen, that is great to know. I will probably validate mine just to get in the habit, as well. Do you know what happens if I lose my printout before we board? Again, not that I'm planning to...
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 02:56 PM

Hi Mary, cheer up, you are not going to loose it.
I agree with Cupid 1, Italians love children, are always kind and helpful. Again my main concern would be to have a few as possible loose items. The trip is short the less you have to deal with the better.There is absolutely no need to expend more traveling first class, tourist is just fine. Excellent.
To avoid loosing papers, I use a lot Hefty resealable storage bags. You might find them handy.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 02:58 PM

Another thing, with the children etc. if you don't have to validate don't waste time and enegy. ..
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 03:13 PM

You can make looking for the little yellow boxes a game for the kids. And if you have everything prepaid you'll never need to worry about validation, even if you do like to punch it when you see them. Make a copy for everyone and let them do it with theirs. Right there that is more copies than anyone could possibly loose!

I think the trip is all of 90 minutes? So you won't need much to occupy the kids--between the sheer novelty, things to see out the windows, other passengers, the wc to explore and walking with them up and down cars...
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 03:14 PM

oops, we didn't tell you that if you go to trainitalia.com you can't actually book your tickets until 30 days before your date of travel.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 03:18 PM

That's trenitalia.com. Sorry Cupid, but you may be been typing too fast.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 05:25 PM

One more thing we must let gdekes know ( I think previously I confused her with Mary, sorry about that)
and this is: when the train is arriving she has to figure out as fast as possible where her wagon will be placed in the plataform.
I guess it works like this, either it will arrive with No.1 closer to the station, or vice versa. She must keep this in mind not to loose time.-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -