Two Weeks in Europe

Search

Two Weeks in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Weeks in Europe

I am planning a trip to Europe from April 28th-May 12th. This does not include the days when I'll fly to/from Europe, so I will have 15 full days of travel. I am a 23 yo female and this will be a solo trip, I'm interested more in the main tourist attractions, like the eiffel tower and trevi fountain than seeing museums. I've done some research and I've come up with this itinerary:

Overnight flight to London
London April 28th-May 1st (4 days)
(Early morning travel to Paris on the 2nd)
Paris May 2nd-4th (3 days)
(Overnight train to Barcelona)
Barcelona May 5th-8th (4 days
(Early morning flight to Rome on the 9th)
Rome May 9th-12th (4 days)
Fly home the morning of the 13th

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? I've allowed extra days for the cities with more attractions that I want to see. I put Rome as my last stop because there is direct travel from Paris to Barcelona. Would it be better if I traveled the opposite direction, Rome to London? I don't plan on taking side/day trips. So, when I say Rome I'm planning on staying in that one city, and not travel to another for the day. Also, any other suggestions or input?
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 02:27 PM

I'd check when the Olympics start, because unless you want to face all that hassle and high cost, it would be better to go to London first. But if you are well clear of it, consider starting in Rome-Barcelona-Paris-London, because the days will keep getting longer and warmer, and that helps up north.

Your itinerary isn't at odds without purposes, so I don't see a problem with it. If you are thinking of using any cheap airlines, somewhere in there you need to do a laundry so you can pack within weight restrictions.

Right now, you are giving more time to Barcelona than you are giving to Paris. Perhaps that is just the way you want it, but since you are not going into museums, do you have 4 days worth of attractions to keep you in Barcelona?

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 02:36 PM

For a solo traveler trying to get a taste of several places I think this works. You seem to understand that this pace won't allow for daytrips and is going to give you a good overview but not in depth visit for these places and that's good. You seem to have thought this out well.

I would investigate flying between Paris and Barcelona. It may be cheaper or not much different from the overnight train. I assume you'll take the train from London to Paris so you will have a taste of European train travel. But if you think you can sleep on the overnight train I can understand why you may want to do this. You're 23 so sleeping may not be an issue
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 03:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
(The Olympics will have no bearing what so ever. Ash2012 is traveling in April/early May.)

I agree about maybe flying Paris to Barcelona.

Do note you'll have a bit less than 3 full days in Paris and 4 full days in Rome if that matters to you.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 03:55 PM

You have 4 full days in London,

really 2 days and at most 2 1/2 days in Paris,

4 full days in Barcelona, and

3 1/2 days in Rome.

Is this what you wanted? Travel time between London and Paris will take up at least 1/2 day, if not more.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 04:32 PM

Not really 4 full days in London -- <i>if</i> the 28th is your arrival date. Even w/ a very early landing, by the time clear immigration, get into London, and check in it will probably be noon-ish. Plus you'll probably be jet lagged.

Not to dissuade you at all. Just so you can factor in having a bit less time in most of your destinations than you may think
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 04:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are flying from the states, I would fly to Rome first and home from one of the other cities. I always like my longest flight on the way over.

I would also look at flights between Barcelona/Paris. It will probably be cheaper. Easy Jet flies between BCN and CDG.

What type of accommodations were you planning to book on the train?

Are you sure you want to do all major cities?
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 05:54 PM

I think you have way too little time in Paris (and also in Rome) and would either drop Barcelona or cut it back. IMHO Paris and London both have at least 5 times as many things to see and do as dos Barcelona - trendy as it may be.
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

I was playing around on Expedia looking rearranging days and cities, like suggested. Then I realized that Egypt is semi-close and that is the number 1 place I want to go to. I know it sounds crazy but I think I'd even be willing to drop Paris and go to Egypt instead. I just think Egypt is a really interesting place and I'd really like to see the Sphinx, the great pyramids, Abu Simbel, Hathor's Temple, and the Nile. And I know there is a ton of other things to see and the things I'm set on seeing in Paris is the Effiel Tower, Moulin Rouge, and Notre Dame. (tons of other things here I'd probably also enjoy but haven't really made it on my list.

So, I created different itineraries and when compared to my original plan the difference in cost is $200-400.

Original
Fly to LHR 1100 ( prices jsut dropped to 900, but will probably increase again before I buy)
Travel to Paris 70
Overnight train to Rome 250
Fly home
Total= 1420 or 1220 @ $900 for main flight

Adding Egypt dropping Paris
Fly to LHR 930
Flight from LHR to FCO 140
Flight from FCO to Aswan 411
Flight from Aswan to Cairo 136
Fly home
Total=1617

If I keep Paris and still do Egypt it would be $1797 (no flight from LHR to FCO and add in $70 for london to paris and $250 for overnight train to Rome.

Traveling to Egypt would cost a day a travel because I would leave FCO at 2pm have a layover in Cairo from 5:15pm-9pm and then arrive in Aswan at 10:30pm. So I would only have 14 days of vacation (minus flying from London to Rome) I plan on spending 2 days in Aswan and 2 in Cairo to see the places mentioned above.

Any thoughts?! I know this is a bunch of information, but I'd really appreciate any help. Also, how would you distribute the 14 days?
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Sorry to add to a post thats already way too long, but I just saw that the overnight train from Aswan to Cairo is only around $20. I would be willing to take that instead of flying to/from Cairo. This would make the trip transportation cost $1455. So, $35-235 extra to swap Paris for Egypt. Then keeping Paris and just adding on Egypt would cost a total of $1625, (an extra $205-405).
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 11:53 PM

There's been a revolution in Egypt recently so it might make tourism there a bit dangerous. Check that out first.
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 05:54 AM

I personally don't think your short jaunt to Egypt makes any sense. Especially traveling solo/independently just now. But maybe go over to the Africa/Middle East board and read some of the threads about Egyptian travel.

Most say it is OK and the political situation/violence is not affecting tourists . . . But they do give a LOT of advice about how to keep safe and where to stay/avoid. I'd have to have a very 'Research-heavy" plan nailed down before I'd just booked tickets and decided to hop around on trains by myself.
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 06:43 AM
RJD

Egypt will, by all accounts, become far less friendly to tourists particularly females traveling alone. See this US State Department advisory:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...a/pa_5602.html
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 07:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
there was a piece on tourism in Egypt on BBC radio yesterday. there are approx 1/10th of the numbers visiting than there were before the revolution.

by all means head all the warnings, but if it's the place you really want to see, go, go, go!

[but you might want to go as part of a tour, rather than independently].
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 10:10 AM

I'd like to recommend that you look at skyscanner.net to find cheap flights.

For example, that $250 going (by overnight train?) from Paris to Rome might cost you a mere $65/$85 to fly RyanAir.

Four destinations (London, Paris, Rome, Egypt) is certainly doable - if you rush along.

The others have given you good advice on checking out the safety issues in Egypt. You might also want to check out a tour group for Egypt, leaving either out of London or Rome.
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Easytraveler-Thanks for the suggestion! I looked at skyscanner and now I think I'll visit all four places, especially with the cheaper flight option.

As for Egypt, I've been looking at the Egypt board, and plannign to post a few questions theree. I've also been on the US State Department website and read the warnings and information. The majority of the posts on this website and others seems positive, and I really want to go so Im going to include it.

I think I'll go with Rail Europe from my travel form London to Paris. There is a train arriving pretty much every hour for $59 sicne I qualify for a youth pass. (I would probably pick one arriving in Paris around 11 or noon).

Ive never used a budget airline. So, does anyone have information on Easyjet, which is what I'll take from Paris to Rome. I read their baggage policy and it seemed that they don't weigh your carry on as long as its a small bag. Is this right?

I will have to use my laptop for two VERY important things, about two hours of internet each time. I will be in Rome and Egypt when I need to complete these two tasks. Do you think I would be 100% fine not bringing my laptop and just using a computer at the hostels I'll be staying at? Do you think the internet will be strong enough that I won't lose connection, because once I disconnect I won't be able to reconnect to finish.

If I have to bring my laptop which is huge and weighs 8 pounds, my luggage will weigh those 8 pounds plus my clothes (I'm going to try to bring clothes for 5 days and wash before going to the next city), two pairs of shoes (so I can switch out if they start to hurt my feet), and my camera with isn't a compact one, and of course the luggage itself.

I found a High Sierra AT505 in black at a store in my area for $80. It has wheels but can be made into a backpack and also has a detachable day pack, but I'm not sure if it would fit the carry on size restrictions with the day pack attached. And dont know if I can have two pieces with me onboard the easyjet flight. What are your thoughts about this, any recommendations?
http://www.luggageonline.com/product...oduct_ID=13914

Again thanks for all the help, and sorry I keep typing really long messages.
Old Mar 30th, 2015, 06:47 AM

Bookmark