Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Europe - 12 days starting in London ending in Paris -itinerary suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

My husband and I (24 and 23) will be travelling on our second trip to Europe. Our first was done in just Italy where we visited Rome, Florence and Venice in 10 days and it was perfect! We loved Europe so much we're coming back only 5 months later! I already booked the flight leaving from NY to London Heathrow and coming back to New York from Paris CDG.
I can't decide what other countries we should see in between and how many days are suggested in London and Paris! I had this crazy notion of flying from London to Barcelona and then back to Paris as I have always wanted to see Barcelona... is that crazy? If so any suggestions on an intinerary between London and Paris that is worthwhile of seeing?
Thanks so much!!!
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:59 AM

With 12 days I would split the time between London and Paris, both have enough to see that could spend a week happily in each. You can take the eurostar between.

If you want to see Barcelona you could do 4 days London, 4 days Barcelona, and 4 days Paris. Look for cheap flights on Ryanair or Easyjet or other low cost airlines.

Have fun!
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:59 AM
yk

Since you've never been to London or Paris, I'd suggest you spend your whole time in those 2 cities. Since you're still young and already taking 2 trips to Europe in a matter of 6 months, I'm sure you have time in the future for a dedicated trip to Barcelona/Spain.

With 6 days in each city, you can rent an apt in each city, which will be cheaper than staying in hotels, plus you get much more space in an apt than a hotel room. You can then do 1-2 day trips from both cities during your stay.

If you insist on going to Barcelona, make sure you figure out how much the cost of the flight is, as many budget airlines fly these routes but they nickel and dime you to death (fee for everything from using a CC to pay, to checked luggage). Also, make sure you understand which airports these budget airlines actually fly to/from. One common mistake is booking the flights first and then find out the airports are actually 60 miles outside of the actual city and it takes 2 hours to get there and back. IME, a huge waste of vacation time.

Anyway, there is SO MUCH to see in London and Paris alone, and an infinite options of day trips from both cities, I'd just stick with those 2 on this trip.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:03 AM

This is perhaps the easiest question I've ever had to answer here - 6 nights London & 6 nights nights Paris.

There is much, much more to do & see in both London and Paris than in either Florence or Venice, IMO.

If you get bored in Paris - take the train to Versailles & spend a day there. Likewise, London to Bath. Bet you won't get bored in either.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM

>>If you want to see Barcelona you could do 4 days London, 4 days Barcelona, and 4 days Paris<<

What jamikins is really saying is 3 1/2 days in each location - not enough time, IMO (perhaps with the exception of Barcelona).

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Is your 12 days total - or "on the ground"?

If the former - don't even think of adding another city to London/Paris. 1 day/night flying over, 1 day jet lagged, 1 day flying back = just 9 full days for sightseeing.

If the latter - I'd still do just London and Paris - but maybe do one day trip out of each city. Like Bath or Canterbury from London. Or like Chartres or Giverney from Paris.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

We were thinking of potentially stopping in Amsterdam or Brussels if we skip Barcelona but DH really would love to see Scotland... is that a possible overnight trip from London?

Also - if we do end up going to Barcelona via easjet or ryanair should we book the flights now? or can we wait till we're in Europe?
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

janisj,
We arrive in London 9am on Friday morning and depart Paris 6pm Tuesday. So essentially we have 11 full days on ground and then half on our day of departure....
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Scotland is really not an overnight trip from London...

I think you need to decide on 3 (at the very most) destinations. I agree that london and paris are enough and would stick with those 2 destinations.

If you do book cheap flights the earlier you book the cheaper, it would likely be very expensive to wait until you are here in Europe. Also, if you fly Ryanair, I do believe they dont fly into the Barcelona airport, but one that is 60 - 90 min bus ride out of Barcelona. So you will really be losing quite a bit of your vacation time.

I'd stick to London and Paris.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM

The others are right. You will find yourself wanting more time in both London and Paris. Barcelona is a trip in and of itself. (And when you visit, you should travel to San Sebastian!) Actually, there's a cool art/travel program about Spain that I saw an ad for... I guess you could tune in to see what you have to look forward to: http://www.ovationtv.com/programs/staycation/
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM

I would add my vote to the recommendation of those who suggest just splitting your time between London and Paris, but yes, you can do an overnight to Edinburgh from London. It's a great city, but I'm not sure if it qualifies as "seeing Scotland".
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:17 AM

A good rule of thumb is you lose at least 1/2 day every time you change destinations, and your last day will be mostly a write off as you have to be at the airport 3 hours before your flight...plus you need to check out and get to teh airport....
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
11 days is not long enough to be adding more places. Amsterdam is "worth" at least 3 full days. Scotland is worth many many days. You are talking about going to 4 countries (Neth, Fr, Eng, Scot) in 11 days!

Your first day isn't a "full" day. You arrive around 0900 - but will not be anywhere near your hotel until 11:30/noon. Plus if you are flying in long haul you may be zombies by then. So count on no major sightseeing that day - just a nice walk, early dinner and bed by around 9 or 10PM

And your last day isn't 1/2 a day. For a flight to the US you need to be a CDG by 3PM, meaning leaving your hotel by about 2 PM, meaning packing and checking out before that.

so your 11+ days is more like 10- (since you lose about 1/2 a day checking out of London, getting to St Pancras, taking the Eurostar, getting to your Paris hotel and checking in.)

Split your time between London and Paris and save Scotland for when you can devote 10 days/2 weeks just to north of the border.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:27 AM

So - it is not 12 nights, it is 11 nights.

5 nights London
6 nights Paris
If you get bored in Paris (doubtful), take the 1 1/2 TGV train from Paris to Brussels for a day trip. Do it the last full day.

Don't make the same mistake all of us have already made by spending too much time traveling & not enough time "being there". Do less, enjoy more.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 12:04 PM

If you try to fit another destination in your 12 days, you will feel rushed and sorry to miss so much in London and Paris. There is so much to see and do in those cities that you will just get a taste. Check out some of the itineraries that people have posted on Fodors to see what there is to see.
As said above, you can do day trips from either city. Save Amsterdam, Barcelona, and Scotland for future trips. (If you feel bad about missing them this trip, start planning your next one.)
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 12:10 PM

You are both young. Europe will still be here. Lots of time to come back and explore more. Everyone has given you good advice. Stick to London and Paris. Save Amsterdam for the next time you visit London and Paris (and you will).
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 07:37 PM

Hi TJ~

I think that your wanting to travel to 3 places could work out! I can understand wanting to see the most out of your trip if youre going to Europe. Why dont you go to brussels for a couple days, The train there from london is 3 hours, and the train from brussels to paris is a little over an hour! I know ur probably thinking whats to see in brussels? but check out this website:

http://www.traveldir.org/articles/eu...o_and_see.html

Itll give u lots of ideas of what to do and see if u want to see another city. they are also famous for their chocolate-yum! I would go for it!

In the end its all up to you bc its YOUR trip!

Thats so exciting that we should be in Paris at the same time! And if we happen to "bump into each other"; well I think that would be pretty freakin cool!

p.s if you do go to brussels, let me know how the belgium waffles are haha
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Ok... so i think we've made a decision! We're going to add a leg onto our flight in the beginning from London to Glasgow! then work our way back down to London and Paris!

Any thoughts? Any idea of the best way to get from Scotland to London and how long it takes via car, train etc? I think we'll do 3.5 days in Scotland then 5 days in London and 2.5 days in Paris! I know 2.5 days in Paris sounds too few but we've been there before and will go back again i'm sure so it should be good!
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Any reccomendations on hotels in London? I think we're looking to stay in the Kensington area for under $200 a night.....
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 10:27 AM

Like jamikins said, I would split the 12 days between London and Paris. You can be very active and spend one month in each one of them... I have nothing against Glasgow though
Barcelona was mentioned. I would make another trip to Spain. You should consider visiting some of these places: Barcelona, Seville, Granada, Cordoba, Gijón, Santander, Madrid. Perhaps 3 cities in two weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -