Turkey Travel Help for Foodies!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2018, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,We are heading to Turkey in April 2019 and are stuck with where to go.We are staying 3 nights in Istanbul and 3 in Cappadocia. We have another 3 nights spare before returning home.We have been thinking Somewhere on the Turquoise coast, however want to stay away from all the main touristy resorts and experience real turkey.Our Holidays are always based around local cuisine and not so much history.Please any advice would be much appreciated as we are torn between so many places in such a bi Country. J and V
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If there are no safety issues at the time of your visit, I recommend Gaziantep as a foodie high spot.
They have excellent kebabs, the foremost "katmer" a desert also eaten for breakfast, made with buffalo cream, pistachios, and sugar in home made filo pastry in a pan, the best baklava in the country and even a garlicky lamb soup, prepared overnight called "beyran"
There is also a very new and worthwhile mosaic museum as well as old city structures and tradesmen.

90 minutes from Gaziantep is Urfa with its own kebabs, pepper and biblical locations.
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi otherchelebi,

Thank you so much for your reply!

Gaziantep was definitely on top of our list however we are unsure regarding safety concerns. The travel status at the moment says to not travel here being so close to the Syrian border, is this just being over cautious?
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 04:23 PM
kja

You might search for posts by otherchelebi -- he's been providing invaluable reports on safety issues in Turkey for a number of years.
Old Jul 14th, 2018, 09:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
another interesting location has even bigger safety issues. Antakya, or Hatay, has hotter food but also interesting cheeses, olives, and the shredded wheat and cheese dessert called "Kunefe."

In April, it is a good idea to be at Alacati, near Cesme, where some quality restaurants will be preparing seasonal wild greens. They are usually excellent, but I like to add some additional lemon and/or garlic (after tasting them)

Similar fare is available at Selcuk, the town near Ephesus, especially in the restaurants of its boutique hotels and not the large tourist group diners.
Radish and mustard greens are good for salads and their specialty Shevketool-bostan cooked with lamb should be tried (again with lemon, garlic and hot red pepper flakes and possibly fresh local thyme)

Check for sorrel, "kuzu kulagi" or the non sour sorrel "labada" which is also used as a wrap for bulgur in region North of Cappadocia. The wrap is called "Efelek Dolmasi."

At Cappadocia, the Turkish ravioli, "Manti" and the sun-dried beef covered with fenugreek,-tomato-red pepper paste, called "Pastirma" are the Kayseri specialties. Try to find a place which sells Black sea type manti with walnut crumbles. Otherwise, manti can be very tasty boiled or fried with yughurt and/or just tomatoe sauce and of'course red hot pepper flakes in melted butter poured over the yoghurt or tomatoe sauce or walnut crumbles.

I am writing this in Finland after a mediocre lunch at a recommended restaurant in Turku, dreaming of a good manti.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 07:10 AM

In Cappadocia, the only memorable meal I had was at TopDeck in Goreme, you need to reserve at least a few days in advance.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 05:30 PM
kja

Interesting -- I was extremely disappointed with TopDeck, but that was back in 2012....
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 04:47 PM

look up my trip reports on Turkey. I mention restaurants, mainly in Istanbul, but also where we traveled elsewhere in Turkey.