Turin hotel

Apr 10th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Turin hotel

Hi!

I'm having some major trouble trying to find a hotel in Turin with good accessibility to TRN (Turin International Airport). We have a very early morning flight, and if we take the train to the airport, we'd have to take the first 5:13am one, meaning we need to be around the GTT Dora station. However, from all the sites and reviews I've been reading on different sites, I'm reading thats a real iffy part of town. I've also looked into taking a taxi, but there are 3 of us, and i'm not sure if each person will get charged. That could get really pricy. Does anyone have any advice of hotels that might be really close to the airport, or have a free/discounted shuttle? Does anyone have any other Turin help?
Apr 10th, 2006, 04:46 PM
rex

topping...
Apr 10th, 2006, 05:26 PM

Unless you are carrying a lot of luggage, you'll be charged a flat rate. And since 3 of you are sharing the cost, I don't think it will be all that much pricier than 3 train tickets. Why don't you e-mail some Torino hotels and ask them if there is a shuttle or how much it costs to get to and from the airport to their location, and will they call you a taxi at 5am?

I've never flown out of Turin nor stayed in a hotel with a shuttle to its airport. Actually, I don't even know where the airport is. There are two sections of Turin: the historic old center and the site of the now-converted Fiat factory, Lingotto. Do you know if the airport is closer to Lingotto or central Turin? (If it's the former, contact hotels in the Lingotto area.)

However, at that hour of the morning, you are not going to encounter any traffic going from central Turin, so why not stay in central Turin at a pleasant hotel in a pleasant neighborhood and enjoy Turin's great restaurants before you have to leave? (I also hope you will be going to the movie museum!)

I don't care for the Turin train station area, and I wouldn't want to be walking around there at 5 in the morning with all my belongings.

Having stayed in the Hotel Victoria, I can highly recommend it for service and its location.

hope that helps.
Apr 12th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Ico

Zetastar
There's no point in staying close to the airport for the following reasons:
- a taxi from the city center would cost you no more than 40 euros regardless of the number of passengers. This means 13 euros each...

- in normal traffic conditions it takes approx 25 mins to get from the center to the airport. In the (very) early morning (ie, 5-6 am) it would take just 15 to 20 mins.

- the Dora station area is dodgy and not very attractive while hotels near the airport can be expensive and characterless.

Therefore, I suggest that you book a hotel in the city center (which is lovely) and enjoy your stay in Turin.

Apr 12th, 2006, 01:47 PM

I stayed at the AC Turin Hotel which was beautiful but far from town center. Cab ride was 11 Euro to train station.
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:02 PM

The train station is not in the center of Turin.
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:07 PM

Really? The train station is not near the old town center. It's like a 10 min. walk fromPiazza San Carlo. To me that's the center.
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:23 PM
KT

Which station are we talking about?

Dora, which the OP named, is not in the city center, but across the River Dora, NW of the center.

Porta Nuova is central, though not in the very oldest part of the city, and indeed not far from Pza. S. Carlo.

Porta Susa is a bit further from the very center, but not much.
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:29 PM
KT

P.S. The airport train, a local service not part of the FS, does go to Dora, not to the others.
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Actually, it was that I think of as the area around Piazza Castello as central, but it might be better described as the historic core.
Apr 12th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Sorry-that's right ,Dora not in center,I didn't realize which station. Must have missed that in the OP.
Apr 12th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Y'all have been a great help. I looked all over the internet for taxi info, and couldn't find anything. I'm now looking for a hotel in town, and I've found one named "Hotel Alpi Resort" that is by the Piazza Vittorio. It looks to be reasonably priced, and though a little far from the Egypt Museum (our real reason for going to Turin), the price is right. The only drawback is I can't find any reviews for it. Has anyone been to this hotel?
Apr 12th, 2006, 06:27 PM

When I was planning my trip to Torino, I used this website.

http://www.extratorino.it/ENG/

You might follow their recommendations to see if you can get a good price through one of the major internet bookers.

I've had good luck staying in B&Bs throughout Italy: always clean and safe. I didn't stay in a B&B in Torino, so I pass along this website. If you end up contacting a B&B, ask them before you book if they will help arrange for a taxi.

http://www.italialodging.com/selecte...n_in_Turin.htm

Apr 14th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Ico

Never been inside the Alpi Resort Hotel but from the outiside looks fine. It should be a 3 star property which generally means that it is quite comfortable. In any event, it is probably in the best (central) area of Turin (either for nightlife or sightseeing). If the price suits you, I would not hesitate to reserve a room there...
Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:59 PM

Hope this isn't too late to help.

If you stay downtown, especially close to Porta Sousa or Porta Nouva, there's a very convenient shuttle bus for about 6 euros.

The Palace or the Genio are two of several PN area hotels within a block of the shuttle pickup on Victorio Emmanuelle II. Palace is a bit fancier and pricier.

The first one leaves PN station at 5:15 and takes about 40 minutes. It stops at Porta Sousa on the way.

The area around Dora isn't all that bad, but lodging options are scarce. It's not upscale but it's safe. Be aware if you do take a train from there, there are separate terminals for GTT trains and regionals.

FYI, you can (or at least could) also catch the GTT to the airport from Lingotto.

Jun 3rd, 2006, 01:00 PM

here's the schedule (italian only):

http://www.sadem.it/orari_tariffe.htm
Jun 3rd, 2006, 01:12 PM

Just looked up the Alpi and I don'tr recall it, but the area is fairly convenient (except for getting to TRN).

You're probably a 40-50 euro cab ride from there.

A good thing is you're very close to a couple of my favorite restaurants. Right across the PO is very fun and fairly casual place was La Cantinella. The specialty is steak brought out raw, sliced and grilled tableside (by you) on a sizzling soapstone.

Down on Victorio Emanuelle is Cera una Volta. It doesn't look like much from the outside (look for blue neon), but you ring the intercom and they'll buzz you in. You go up the stairs to a graceful second story dining area for fabulous regional fare. Great and very reasonable wine list.
Jun 3rd, 2006, 01:13 PM

Just saw your other post -- sorry if it's too late. Perhaps it'll help someone else.