Reload this Page >

Hotels in Bologna

Search

Hotels in Bologna

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Connie`

Hotels in Bologna

We are staying in Bologna the last night before we fly out very early in the morning. Does anyone have any experience with the Milano excelsior starhotel bologna? It is right across from the train station. Is that area ok to stay in? Can anyone recommend another hotel that is convient to get to the airport for a 7:15 am flight?

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Santa Chiara

Hi, Connie,<BR>The area around the train station isn't the nicest, but it is not nearly as bad as Rome's. I would recommend staying in the center, either Commercianti or Corono d'Oro. You will be right next to the piazza and tons of restaurants. There is a taxi stand right on the piazza, with taxis available 24 hours or the hotel can arrange a pickup. Ask for Blue Cab. They are the most reliable and professional. <BR><BR>I have timed the drive from the center to the airport early in the morning, and it was 12 minutes. So, even allowing 30 minutes if you are Nervous Nellie like me about getting to the airport, you will have plenty of time if you left at 5:30. <BR><BR>Technically you need only to be at the airport an hour before your flight since I know you will have another intracontinental flight before leaving for the U.S. (assuming you are American). However, airport lines are one instance where everyone shows up early, so for a 7:15 flight, I would want to be at the airport by 6 a.m.<BR><BR>Good luck.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 04:56 AM
Therese

The hotel in question is very nice, as is the Sofitel right next door. There's some construction in the area right now that's making the area across from the train station even less attractive than usual. But still not anything particularly dangerous, just not as pretty as the center city.<BR><BR>As Bologna's airport is not at all far from the city center, and you'll be leaving well in advance of rush hour traffic, any hotel will work out just fine. There are plenty of nice hotels to pick from. The hotel will be happy to arrange a cab. <BR><BR>If you're trying to economize you could also take the Aerobus, departing from either center city or the train station (so very convenient from the Excelsior or the Sofitel). It costs 4.5 euros and I'm pretty sure it runs early enough to get you to the airport on time (there's a web site I can find for you if you want to consider this option).

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:40 AM
connie

Thanks for the reply. We are trying to economize and I would appreciate the website of the aerobus. I had considered the starhotel because I stayed at the starhotel rosa in milan and it was very nice. Hotels seem very expensive in Bologna...the starhotel wasn't too bad...around 119 for a double. Can you recommend any other hotels in this price catagory...either 3 or 4 star. I usually don't like to stay right near the train especially since I am traveling with my sister and I find it not as nice, but we are taking the train there from florence and I figured transportation to the airport would be easy from there.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:33 AM
Santa Chiara

Connie,<BR>Here is a airport bus schedule. The first bus leaves from the station at 5:30. Given that, I would stay at the Excelsior Starhotel. I don't think you will find a better deal. <BR><BR>http://www.atc.bo.it/linee/pdf/urbane/atc_01040.pdf<BR><BR>Bologna hotel rates vary greatly depending on the trade show schedule. What costs $200 on night will cost $100 another.<BR>

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Connie

Thanks, we decided to stay at the starhotel excelsior. My sister ended up getting a rate of 89E as a travel agent which is too good to pass up. Does anyone know of any good restaurants in the city which are moderately priced?