Trouble with SNCF website

Old Mar 8th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Trouble with SNCF website

I've bought and printed PREM tix many times in past, but tonight I tried to get a ticket Avignon-Paris for May, and it would not allow me to purchase. I had called my credit card company to notify them just before trying the transaction. So now I have to wait 24hrs. to try again, or try another credit card? Does anyone know what causes this glitch or how to avoid it?

I was using www.voyages-sncf.com
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

I am using a Mac with Safari; could that be the problem?
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 10:41 PM

It may be your credit card blocking a large overseas transaction.
Happened for us with british air esrlier this year. We should have called first to tell them we were going to buy the tickets.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 11:22 PM
SAB

I would try another card, I have had this problem on the Italian rail site which would not take AmEx, so I just used another card.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 08:27 AM

I just bought tickets on Tuesday on voyages-sncf using a Mac with Safari, so I don't think that's the problem.

Have you already enrolled in Verified by Visa? Did you get that far into the purchase?

I would try a different card. If that doesn't work, come back and tell us how far you got into the process, and whether you got an error message. (When my idTGV purchases in December didnt go through, I got stuck on the "processing" screen forever, but no specific message that my purchase didn't go through -- AND it went through as a pending purchase on my credit card.)
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

I just tried to use the same credit card at a store here, and it was refused. When I got home, I called Capitol One, and they said there were possible fraudulent uses of my card, citing the attempt I made to purchase at SNCF last night, despite the fact that I had called them before I tried to purchase the ticket. Go figure.
I think, according to what I read on SNCF site last night, that I must wait 24 hrs. to try again. In the meantime, I will try my AMEX card, whom I also called to notify them of this potential purchase.

Thanks, all who responded; wish me luck. So frustrating when there are only a few seats left at the price.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 11:08 AM

Bonne chance grandmere! Have you tried tgv-europe website instead?
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 12:14 PM

You can call the English-speaking line at 011-33-8-92-35-35-35; perhaps they can make it possible for the seats you want to be available to you right away - or still be available to you tomorrow.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 12:22 PM

I don't think they accept AMEX cards from all that I have read - and I have read lots! This is such an arduous task it seems.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 12:42 PM

I feel your pain, grand-mère! It's so frustrating when you do everything you're supposed to and it still doesn't work.

I've done this several times the past couple of weeks and had no problem. I count myself lucky! I have noticed, though, that when you call Capital One, they don't say that it will totally prevent your card being refused, only that it will make it less likely! Have to give themselves an "out," I suppose.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "only a few tickets left at this price" warning. It seems that they say that from the minute the tickets become available. It couldn't hurt, though, to follow StCirq's advice and call them.

BTW, does this mean you will be in the Avignon area between May 26 and June 1? I'll be there at that time with a small group (only 5 of us this year) and would love to meet you for a drink or dinner if you're available. You can email me at bcarver at charter dot net if you like.

Hope you get your ticket at the good price!
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 12:43 PM

I've had no problems using Amex on the SNCF site. And in my experience, you don't need to wait 24 hours to try again as long as the fraud issue has been cleared with the credit card issuer.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Success! Tried this time with Amex, and it went through; it's printed, same price as yesterday!
Thanks, everyone.

Betty, I will not be there that late in May; unfortunately, friends and I just decided to make this trip happen so we're way beyond the time for snagging really good train fares, etc.
It would have been nice to meet.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 12:59 PM

Too bad you can't meet! I know you both and I'm sure you would have had a great time together. Bon voyage!
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 01:25 PM

Félicitations, grand-mère! I'm happy you got your ticket but sorry we won't be able to meet. One of these years, I hope we'll be there at the same time. Maybe we could meet up with Coco in Dijon! Wouldn't that be fun! (That was a sweet thing to say, Coco.)
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Coco not only says sweet things, she is very sweet, also! And yes, it would be fun to meet up in Dijon.