Trip to Rome- Amalfi coast

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 09:30 AM
Lizg1

Trip to Rome- Amalfi coast

I am planning a trip to Rome-Amalfi coast at the end of September or beginning of October. When should I buy tickets to Rome?
(right now it's $840 for non-stop flight). From your expirience, is it better to buy ASAP or wait for a sale - is it possible for this time of the year?

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non stop at 840pp is GREAT! Buy them now!

I got connections for under 700pp, but thats a connection! They are not going to get any cheaper in my opinion. Are you going into Fco and out of Nap?
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:07 AM
ira

Hi L,

$840 nonstop is pretty good.

From where to where?

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Lizg1

Round trip from New York to Rome.
Actually, I didn't think about returning directly from Naples to New York, without going to Rome. I need to check prices..
Thanks.

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 09:56 AM

We flew into Rome from NYC and flew out of Naples (stopover in Rome) back to NYC.
I think our tickets were around $800 a piece- 2 years ago.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Lizg1

If we rent a car in Rome and then will fly back home directly from Naples, can we drop the car in Naples? Have anyone done that?

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:34 AM

I dont think you will want a car - either in Rome or on the coast. Parking is an issue and driving can be difficult.
You can catch the train/bus to Amalfi Coast or hire a driver. Than to get from Amalfi to Naples you can take the ferry. Any travelling you do on the coast can be easily accomplished on the SITA bus - which is easy to use.

If you have to have a car - then you can probably drop the car in Naples for an extra fee. When you search for car prices online, it will give you the option "drop-off location is different than pickup".
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Lizg1

Thanks.
I was planning to rent a car after Rome in order to drive along Amalfi coast from one small town to another.

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:48 AM

The parking will be difficult.
The bus runs frequently, is quite easy to use, inexpensive and will get you to all the coastal towns. We even took the bus to Sorrento and got a train to Pompeii.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:13 PM

The driving is difficult along the Amalfi Coast also. It's a narrow busy road. Some corners are so sharp that buses have to back up in order to get around. So the driver will not have much attention to spare for the view. It's better to take the bus. If you need instructions on how to get from Rome to the Amalfi Coast without a car, search previous messages on this forum.