Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From U.S. to Amalfi Coast - too long a trip?

Jun 27th, 2002, 02:48 PM
x

I'm wondering if I'll be totally miserable by the time I get there. Have to first fly to the east coast U.S. Then to Milan. Then change planes to Rome. Then train to Rome Termini and train to Napoli. Then bus to Amalfi. I can't find a decent flight that takes me to Napoli. Has anyone done this trip and lived to tell? : ) I really don't want to stay in Rome my first night. How about somewhere near Fiumicino? Or just suffer and get it all over with the first day? Opinions please!

Jun 27th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Patty

Yes, you will be miserable, if you have already decided it is more trouble than it is worth. If you aren't up to it and don't want to make alternate plans after you arrive, better not go. Go someplace closer. A trip is supposed to be fun.

Jun 27th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Ellen

Nothing, IMO, is worth that kind of a day. And with the time changes too! Absolutely no way to get a direct flight or at least a direct from NYC? If not, I would absolutely break camp in Rome for a few days before continuing on. Why do you not want to spend your first night there? Rome is beautiful at night. Strolling the Spanish Steps and Piazza Navona - wonderful. Head out to Amalfi in daylight when you can enjoy the beautiful coastal scenery.

Jun 27th, 2002, 03:08 PM
Nancy

Take the train to Naples, stay there the first night, then to Almafi the next day. I fly from LA to Rome every year, then stay a night or two then continue on to my next destination.

Jun 27th, 2002, 03:11 PM
x

You're right, Patty and Ellen, why put myself thru that? It's just that my days are limited and I am anxious to get there! (Also I've spent a lot of time in Rome and want to see somewhere new.) Need to rethink this, thanks for helping me see the light : ) (And good idea, I'll see if I can reroute thru NY).

Jun 27th, 2002, 03:13 PM
x

And thanks Nancy too (guess we were typing at the same time). I'm thinking going all the way to Napoli would still be long? Dunno, guess I really need to think this thru. Thanks for letting me think out loud : )

Jun 27th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Kay

I am assuming you have to go through Milan. If that is the case, I would look for an Alitalia flight from Milan to Naples. I would spend the night in Milan, get plenty of rest, and fly to Naples the next day. Then you might check on taking the hydrofoil from Naples depending on where in Amalfi you are going. I just flew from Venice to Naples on Alitalia to get to Positano, but I spent a few days in Venice. I never try to get to the Amalfi coast directly from the US. It is just too tiring. I think you will enjoy it a lot more if you rest in Milan. Good luck. Kay

Jun 27th, 2002, 03:29 PM
GAC

I'm going to break rank here and suggest that the itinerary can be done (not necessarily should be done) with one simple modification, as follows:

Fly from West Coast USA to East Coast USA (JFK or EWR or PHL) or to ORD. Fly nonstop to FCO. Take the half-hourly non-stop train to Termini Station. Take the 11:38 a.m. Intercity Train "Archimede", which arrives in Salerno at approx. 14:20 (there is another Intercity at 9:38, probably too early to catch). Go reserved First Class on the train (buy the tickets at the Fiumicino train station, which will also reserve the seat from Termini to Salerno). At the Salerno station, walk out the main doors and catch the first blue SITA bus to Amalfi (70 minutes, departures every 30-60 minutes). Buy the bus ticket at the newstand in the train station. You'll be in Amalfi by 16:00 or earlier. I actually did this itinerary last month (I stopped in Salerno overnight, but felt that the stop was totally unnecessary).

Jun 27th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Kerry

Depends on what time you arrive in Rome. If late in the day or afternoon, just stay at the Hilton at the airport then head out in the morning. If in the morning, head out to Naples and get there in the afternoon, and stay there. I personally like to get all the traveling done in one day, so I can wake up at my destination. I also fly from the WC. I am going your same route this Fall by the way.

Jun 27th, 2002, 04:27 PM
monty

If you want to avoid the Rome overnight, I would first consider the first night in Milan, or someplace nearby. Bergamo? If you can't split up the flight, fly to Paris and then to Naples on Meridiana. I did this with Air Canada (from Montreal, in my case), it was cheaper than a US route, and it eliminated the Rome leg. Good luck.

Jun 28th, 2002, 07:02 AM
x

Thanks to all for the wonderful helpful suggestions! Will let you know what I decide to do...

Jun 28th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Jim Tardio

If you're on the West Coast, take a non-stop Air-France flight to Paris. Take Ryan-air from Paris to Naples. Take a taxi to the port and take the ferry to Amalfi.

Do all your traveling at one time. You have to factor in the travel "prep time" each time you make a move. You'll just be wasting 2 days instead of 1 if you break it up.

http://www.jimtardio.com

Jun 28th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Alice Twain

Do not fly to Rome. If you can't find a flight to Naples, I think that you should consider leaving your airplane in Milano, Taking the bus to Centrale railway station and take a Eurostar Train to NaplesBook your train in advance to make sure that you haven't any problems with it. The trip to Naples takes 6 hours, wit the money for the flight to Rome you will be able to travel on the train's first class and the Eurstar train is just as comfortable as any airplane and flying from Milano to Rome and than taking a train to Naples will take you no less than 5-6 hours anyhow. Once in Naples, allow yourself one day for visiting at least the Duomo, San Gregorio Armeno. the Capodimente National Museum and a few other features, than move to Amalfi.

Jun 28th, 2002, 11:07 AM
GC

Jim
I don't think Ryan Air flies from Paris to Naples

Jul 1st, 2002, 10:10 AM
Curious

So, X, what did you decide?

Jul 3rd, 2002, 01:06 PM
sam

Do it all in one day --- others have offered up several alternatives to your original itinerary. However you choose, you might as well complete your journey all at once. You'll be jet-lagged wherever you land in Italy (Milan or Rome or Venice) --- if your goal is to spend time on Amalfi Coast, then keep going rather than making a few nights' pitstop.

Jul 3rd, 2002, 01:55 PM
Jim Tardio

You're correct, GC. Ryan-Air no longer makes that run (which was a stop on a longer run).

My alternative selection is to fly non-stop to Milan (assuming you're on the west coast) on Delta airlines. Change planes in Milan and proceed to Naples...taxi to the port...take the ferry to Amalfi, or Positano.

Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:11 PM
GAC

There are no longer any non-stop flights from the West Coast USA to Milan. If and when Alitalia restores service to LAX and/or SFO, all plane connections necessarily must be on the East Coast (or ORD) or in Europe.

Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:33 PM
Matt

Mama mia! You want to fly, then fly some more, then fly some again, then take the train, then the bus? In the immortal words of my doctor, "What are you? Crazy?"

Seriously, get to SFO or LAX, take the Air France long-haul flight to CDG, and then take a connecting flight to NAP directly, altogether bypassing the east coast hub as well as both MXP and FCO.

Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:03 PM
Rex

I realize that this thread is a few days old, but I never saw it before now. I'm surprised that London hasn't been suggested as a connection point/gateway.

West coast to London, non-stop; London to Naples, non-stop. Ground transportation from there.

Best wishes,

Rex

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO