Average cost to hire a Moroccan guide

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Average cost to hire a Moroccan guide

Can anyone tell me how much it generally costs to hire a licensed Moroccan guide for a half or full day? Our hotel said they could get one for us at EUR80 for the day - which seems high to us. Is this the going rate, or can we get a registered guide for less? We will be in both Marrakech and Tangier. Thank you!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:09 AM

That seems high to me. We were in Morocco last year and, while we didn't get a guide in Marrachech, we got one Fez and it wasn't more than $30 US. He spoke about 4 languages and was wonderful. I am sure you can find a good guide for less than 80 euro.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Yes, 80 euros is definitely too much. I agree with the previous poster that it shouldn't cost more than half that amount for a day.

Perhaps call the tourist office in Fez, or just stop by when you get there. They can arrange for a guide, as well, and probably won't charge as much.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Do you know if the price of the guides vary based on season? We will be there the first week of March. Are the tourist offices located in the Medina or at the train station and airport? Also, do you recommend arranging for transportation from the train station through your hotel, or are taxis pretty reliable?
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:14 PM

The tourist office is located at Place de la Resistance, in the new part of town. If you want to call them yourself once you get to Morocco, I think the number is 035/62-34-60 (country code 212).

As far as transportation from the train station, you can do either one. Taxis should be fine, especially if you have some good directions written down to show the driver. Just keep in mind that most hotels in the medina are inaccessible by car. There are a few main roads that cut through town, but you'll probably be let out at the closest place and will be on your own afterwards. Just ask someone on the street to show you the way (a kid will probably approach you as you stand there looking lost), and tip them a couple of dirhams when you get there.