Search

Trip report: 11 days in 3 countries

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2014, 12:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip report: 11 days in 3 countries

Hi everyone,

Thanks all for your kind guidance and we managed to have planned a great tour. It's my second last day of the trip (now at Milan)! Can't wait to draft my trip report.

Preface:
We are Hong Kong-ese and my wife and I are traveling with my 7 yrs old son. We live is a city of v rapid pace. Hence we still keep our tour busy... Guess u may want it a month not 11 days...

Trip Highlights:
When planning the trip, a few things we want to do: 1) Jungfrau, 2) hiking at Grindelward and nearby, 3) big feast in Lyon, 4) food and wine in Alba, 5) shopping in outlet and Milan!!!

So we decide to rent a car throughout the tour, saved a lot trouble to take train with the luggage, it turns out to be a great decision coz with a car, I could explore deeper beyond the major tourist spots.

And we decide to stay in Grindelward, Lyon, Alba and Milan.

Seems tiring!! I come back with the details tonight, and now I am heading to Milan city.

Ciao!
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 02:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
interesting
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Day1: arrived at Zurich at 6:30, a 12 hours flight. My plan is dependent on weather coz the forecast isn't good. I might have only half day of good weather for Jungfrau visit.

Once arrived at airport, gosh, great sunshine! So I quickly pick up my car and rushed to Grindelward. 2 hours drive!

Switzerland people are very gentle on road! I managed to arrive in time to catch the 10:00 train for Jungfrau! I bought Jungfrau VIP pass which is last for 3 days (CHF180 for adult, 30 for my son! Good deal)!

Get to Top of Europe at noon! I felt a bit dizzy and my hands were shaking slightly... Guess not yet adapted to high land 3400m, jet lag, hungry and fatigue by the two hours ride...

Try to grab something to eat immediately at the kiosk, and u know what, they sell Korean cup noodle (instant noodle). Korea is everywhere even beyond Samsung and Korean Pop music! I finished a cup noodle and I'm back!

Jungfrau got 9 sections, easy to follow one by one. We took a elevator to the top of the top and the scenery is breath taking. The sunshine was still good and we took a lot of picture!

There is a section of outdoor snow-ish activities, need a walk of 15 min over snow. We didn't play any activities but just a walk outside is already the highlight of the trip!

Though it's 0 degree, the sunlight reflected by the snow made u sweat! With the sun, a long sleeve sweater is warm enough, but once it's cloudy, need to put the down jacket back on!!!

At the last section, there is roof for a 360 panorama view around the region, including the Glacier, various mighty mountains, etc. Camera shutter was v busy!

Weather forecast is so accurate, at 3pm, in ten min, sunlight gone, cloudy and start heavy snow rain!!!

We are lucky enough to finish all 9 section right before the rain starts!

Rain won't have stopped in the next two days! Then my hiking plan is not happened.

Some useful resources:

http://jungfraujoch.ch
For weather, train schedule, passes and hiking information!

Almon apps - can download map of Berne Canton covering Jungfrau, Grindelward, First, Kleine Scheidegg, Trummelbach falls, etc!!!!
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Day2.

Plan changed due to poor weather.

Can't do hiking. We visited the mighty Trummelbach Falls, and the raining in the past days may have made the fall even stronger!

Remember to bring raincoat... We didn't and we just have umbrella... My son is half wet.

The drive from Grindelward to Trummelbach fall is just 20 min, easy ride. And they got huge car park there too (free of charge)!

The entry fee for the Fall is roughly 11 for adult and few CHF for child. No discount for me even I got Jungfrau pass.

There were roughly 13 spots and the elevator took u to No. 8 or 9! That means u need to walk up for the powerful falls. IMO, the ones above elevator are much worth to see than the lower ones.

It's stunning. The power, the sound and the atmosphere. Couldn't imagine we could have been so close to a fall with such tremendous amount of water passing by in each second. It's breath taking! The real power of nature.

It takes an hour or two for the visit. And then seems no where to go coz of rain!!! We made a big decision to drive to Luzern (coz the weather report said it may have partial sunshine)... 90KM drive from the fall.

And once again weather report is helping. Good sunshine and weather. Took some photo and have a relax dinner next to the river!

Go back to hotel at 9pm!
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 06:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds beautiful----any photos?
Old Aug 7th, 2014, 06:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Lucerne is really a lovely city.
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Just back home to few hours ago. Will work on the photo part!
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Photo part 1:

https://m.facebook.com/dick.ho.908/a...02822558/?_rdr

Day3, a 4 hour drive from Grindelward to Lyon. I chose Geneva as midpoint for lunch and look around. My boy is v happy to feed the Swan!

The restaurant Brasserie Geroge at Lyon is excellent. Must try when u r in Lyon. It's not only about the food but he atmosphere. 90% local people and they celebrate birthday there, the restaurant will dim the light, play some interesting music and a staff will bring the celebrating dessert or cake to the table. And there will come a big round of applause. Excellent!
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Day 4.

Food is the focus here, and we want to do some sight seeing and shopping.

With the pleasure experience in our first dinner in Brasserie George, we have high hope on the remaining meals... Unfortunately my stomach was not working well.

I decided to drive around the city coz the taxi fare is v expensive and the metro may not help us to get to the spot we would like to go. Driving in the city is a pleasure. Easy traffic, plenty parking space!

We first heads to the shopping centre, and my wife did buy scarf but couldn't find her favorite handbag... Then we go to a food market Les Halles de Lyon and consumed a XL seafood platter! Tremendous flavour, and we ate a lot. That perhaps is the root cause of my stomach prob. My wife also felt unwell too. Oyster is v fresh, crab is tasty too.

Skip dinner and stay in the hotel to recover...

Day 5. Stomach is recovering and just have a brief breakfast in the hotel.

Walk around Part Dieu centre, which is a 10 min walk from hotel.

Lunch at Chez George, excellent meal. I dare not eat too much. Just fill my stomach half! Great flavour! Per the other food lover review, I believe it is the truly Lyon authentic dinning experience!

Then we headed to the famous La Basilique Notre Dame de Fourvière. We parked the car at lower level and walked up to there, a 20 min walk in the garden. Fresh air! Beautiful Church and view of Lyon.

Day 6. Another long drive from Lyon to Alba, I chose to stop by Turin!

Then I could have experienced driving at three countries. Let me summarize my experience:

Swtizerland people are v gentle on road, never pushing and seldom take over some one else. Fast lane is not busy.

Lyon, like other city drive, car isn't allowed to drive fast coz the traffic light and traffic condition. Easy to handle and they give way whenever I want to cut the lane. Civilization!!!

Alba and Milan, aggressive and they drive v fast - no matter what car model and engine power. During my ride to Turin, once crossed the border, I met a few v fast car which I could never get close to their speed and skills! Mercedes ML, Smart for Two, Mercedes A180!

For the ML and Smart, they took over me while I was on 140, and I accelerated a bit trying to keep up their pace. 3 min later, we entered a tunnel (1-2 km at max), they didn't slower their pace and then I can't see them again.. I couldn't imagine a Smart is capable of that level of speed...

For the A180, I met him at Italy, i guess he is on 180km +, when he passed me... 15 min later, I saw a police stopped an A Class of the same colour, not sure if it was the one I met before.

Back to Turin,

Crossing the France-Italy border would take a long tunnel. And I have been queuing up for 1.5 hours (that day is Saturday, a v unwise decision to cross the border during weekend)! Hence my stay at Turin is v short. Just have a lunch, a 2 hours walk in the city centre. We have an important appointment at Alba - the origin of slow food campaign - L'Osteria del Boccondivino
(Via Mendicità Istruita, 14, Bra, Italy)!

Excellent dinner (my stomach is back)! I couldn't drink too much as I still need to drive back to Alba (20 min)! But still, it is one of the greatest Italian meal I have had. Yet, the best is yet to come.

Day 7 is highlight of the trip. A lunch at one star restaurant and a visit of a vineyard owned by talented and friendly Osvaldo Viberti (b.ta Serra dei Turchi 95 fraz.S.Maria, 12064 La Morra)!

La Ciau del Tornavento is pretty famous in the region. The cost is same of a "good" restaurant at other major cities. High value for money. Apart from the food, there is a million dollar view over La Morra too. Service is okay, and the friendliness of other customers compensate the cool-ness of the waitress! My son blended into a French family who comes to the Alba region many many times! A must go if u stay in Alba and I recommend lunch, rather than dinner because of the view!

Osvaldo Viberti is v talented. I found him from Tripadvisor and yes he spots on! Great great Barolo, they got three blends of Barolo, they are different and can cope with different situation! I bought some back home and if I could, I should buy 12... Excellent price, 30% of renowned brand with similar quality (eg Pio C...)!
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Photo
https://m.facebook.com/dick.ho.908/a.../?ref=bookmark
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

https://m.facebook.com/dick.ho.908/a.../?ref=bookmark

Photo is day 7
Old Aug 8th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

The remaining days were just chilling out in Milan duomo area - shopping and visiting Duomo everyday.

Also, I did a day trip to Bergamo (1 hr drive), another beautiful city.

I did go to Restaurant Gurerrini twice for dinner. V nice food and wine there too!
Via Gaetano Previati, 21, Milano, Italy

Last day drove back to Zurich city for a relax afternoon and then took night flight back home.

https://m.facebook.com/dick.ho.908/a...2612049797558/

A very rewarding trip. Did 1800Km drive altogether, I enjoy driving so much particularly in Switzerland and Alba, coz of the view. I could stop by get some fresh air and do some photo shooting as I wish.

Jungfrau and Alba are the great new experience that I will certain go back again! Next time may try Zermatt in Swtizerland too!