Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Nervous about the rain in Bernesse Oberland area this week

Jun 29th, 2014, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

We arrive in Wengen on Friday and are scheduled to be there through the weekend, then off to Zermatt. Most of our plans revolve around hiking, being outdoors, etc. from most of what I see, it has been quite rainy there the last few days and is predicted to continue to be soggy for the next week. We can certainly spend a day in Bern, but are we going to be stuck to indoor activities for our trip? We have been looking forward to this visit for 6 months. Am I just being paranoid?
Jun 29th, 2014, 10:57 PM

Trümmelbach Falls is a weather independent site in Berner Oberland.
Jun 29th, 2014, 11:09 PM

Hi mjknycmjk,

First of all, don't trust weather forecasts more than 1 day in advance (and maybe not even then). In a mountain town, any advance weather forecasts are a total crap-shoot.

I live in a mountain town (not as high as Wengen or Zermatt), and forecasts are often wrong. Even today -- one of my reliable weather sites says that it will be cloudy all day but without rain, while another site says that it will rain all day.

So, don't get nervous until your plane lands on Saturday morning.

Secondly, I doubt that it will rain all day long, every day. Yes, it may be cloudy all day, but you will probably find a few hours daily when you can get out and stretch your legs on the trails.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Jun 29th, 2014, 11:10 PM

p.s.

I guess I ought to add that, here in Germany, folks still hit the trails in the rain. They put on their Jack Wolfskin jackets with hoods and their waterproof boots, and off they go!

s
Jun 29th, 2014, 11:17 PM

I am about to get on the train in Munich headed to Wengen. Weather .com has the next 10 days of rain and or thunderstorms. I have reservations checking out on July 8. I am hoping for the best, especially since my hotel is non- refundable. My trusty umbrella!
Jun 29th, 2014, 11:22 PM

I'm with swandav, we hike regardless of weather. Just put on the raingear and go.
Jun 29th, 2014, 11:27 PM
kja

Like swandav and Melnq8, I didn't let the weather stop me and I encourage you to get out there and enjoy your hikes whether it is raining or not! Just remember to keep your camera lens in a position that won't let it get wet. (Lesson learned the hard way.) ;-)
Jun 30th, 2014, 12:38 AM

HI, We have been in Lauterbrunnen for the last 4 nights. The forecast had been for rain most of the time, so we were worried too. However, when we got here it was sunny and nice. We headed out immediately, not even unpacking. The first 2 days were beautiful and sunny, great hiking, in spite of the forecast. Yesterday, it rained all day. We went to Trummelbach Falls and then over to Grimmelwald to the Sportscenter to use the indoor pool for 10 francs for the whole day. The giant slide is great fun for adults too, even though we were scared. It stays light here till after 9 o'clock, so we did a long walk when it finally stopped raining in the evening, all along the river to Staubbach Falls and beyond. Today is cloudy, but no rain so far. If it really rains hard, you can dress up and do valley walks. It's so beautiful. Joanw
Jun 30th, 2014, 12:58 AM

I forgot, we also did the cruise around Lake Brienz. That day was sunny/rainy all day. When it rained, we went inside. We stopped at Giessbach where there is a beautiful old hotel and waterfalls up a tram. We had lunch there while it rained a bit and then went on to have a sunny walk along the lake in Brienz. So just do it. Joanw
Jun 30th, 2014, 10:14 AM

I'm with the others - don't let the weather stop you.

Btw, the official Swiss Meteo (weather) site forecast tells me it's going to be showers from Saturday on, a mix of clouds and sun, not rain all day.
Jun 30th, 2014, 10:49 AM

Be worried if you feel like, but no amount of worry can change the weather. IMHO, you should be worried only of things you can change.

Generally speaking: I am taking my holidays in the Alps since I was born - my very first memory of this life is a flood washing away our camping in Cortina, 1963. After so many years, I thingk the only way to maximize your chance of good weather is making your stay as long as possible. - But on a bad year, even a two week stay may have only 1 or 2 sunny days; as well as on a very good year, you will have 13 sunny days out of 15.

I do not share the opinion that you should hike whatever the weather is. An easy and low hike may be moderately pleasant under light rain, but anything more difficult may easily get unpleasant or dangerous in bad weather. A main cause of accidents to mountain hikers is having to do an hike on such a day because so it planned, regardless of weather conditions.

If the weather gets bad you can always do what mountain people do in bad weather: have a glass of wine or a beer, play cards, attend a festival, etc.
Jul 1st, 2014, 12:50 PM

Left Lauterbrunnen today- a beautiful sunny, cloudless day. Maybe you'll have the same. Yesterday we went to Wengen, then took cablecar to Mannlichen. It started raining in the cablecar and when we got out, it was cold, windy and snowing. We decided to have a hot chocolate and decide whether to do the hike to KS or not. By the time we finished the hot chocolate, it had stopped snowing and the wind had died down. We decided to do the walk. It turned out wonderful-cloudy, but mild and totally enjoyable. By the time we finished, the sun was out. So don't make decisions based on weather outside your window. Have a great trip.
Jul 1st, 2014, 01:45 PM

I doubt many people travel to Switzerland to hike. They are traveling to Switzerland to see the views and hiking is an activity that affords them a variety of views and a chance to feel part of the majesty of the views.

I
Jul 1st, 2014, 05:48 PM

I do.
Jul 1st, 2014, 06:06 PM

Part of hiking is dealing with weather since a front can come in really fast in altitude. We started up to Jungfrauroch from Kleine Scheidegg in sun with a clear view and ended up in snow and fog at the top within 1/2 hour.

I've rarely spent a week in any hiking area where bad weather (rain, snow, sleet) did not play a part. We always carry rain gear, even if it's just a poncho, and in the Grand Canyon one spring, we luckily carried crampons. The weather started out great for our descent. By the end of the day, we were holding on to each other to get out of the canyon on the iced-over trail.

So do be prepared with your layers of clothing.

Above all, do pay attention to this one fact--DO NOT WEAR COTTON when you are hiking. Once wet, it does not keep you warm. So if you sweat through it and there's a drop in temp, you are in big trouble. If it rains, you are in even more trouble. This warning includes socks (we are big fans of SmartWool).
Jul 1st, 2014, 10:04 PM

I do, too.
Jul 1st, 2014, 10:09 PM

We did, also.
Jul 1st, 2014, 10:26 PM

I also go to Switzerland and hike, walk, and bike. The views are much better from the trails than from the towns.

s
Jul 1st, 2014, 10:44 PM

Yes, it is supposed to be rainy, but it won't rain all day long.
T-storms tend to be morning or late afternoon/evening affairs, not always, of course, but that's the general trend.

On the upside, if you're in a safe place (your hotel room or a cafe, for example), thunderstorms in the mountains can be spectacular to watch. Have a bottle of wine, some snacks, and watch nature's fireworks display in all its glory.

I remember when Mom and I were in Lugano a few years ago. We had planned a morning trip up to Monte Bre. But a HUGE thunderstorm blew up and watching the lightning show over the lake from our hotel room was, in the end, just as good an experience. Maybe even better.
Jul 1st, 2014, 10:45 PM
kja

It wasn't my only reason, but it certainly was a critical one!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO