Trenitalia - New problem, help!

May 3rd, 2007, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Trenitalia - New problem, help!

I've read all the problems with Trenitalia and stupidly decided to ignore all the advice and try to purchase advance tickets.

I got through everything fairly smoothly, entered credit card info, went through the visa verification process, and then it dumped me back to the same page where I entered CC info. This seemed strange, so I checked my bank account before re-entering this info because I didn't want to be charged twice. Sure enough, I have a pending transaction for the amount of the tickets, which means it went through, at least partially.

Problem is- I never got a confirmation page with my reservation, and I haven't received the e-mail with my PNR number, my account isn't showing any orders on Trenitalia's site, BUT my card is charged. Has this happened to anyone? How long did it take to receive the e-mail? Any advice on what to do? Would simply calling Trenitalia be helpful?
May 3rd, 2007, 08:06 AM

Well lots of folks here say trenitalia.com is a snap to use, which flies in the face of numerous numerous complaints like yours.

Apparently for novice users this site is terrible - once you've done it it seems to be a snap perhaps.

No way to run a railway.
May 3rd, 2007, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Yes, it seemed to be a snap to me until the last step... Now it also seems that the website's server is down, because it won't let me access my account online.
May 3rd, 2007, 08:12 AM

The site might be down for a while. Hopefully it's because they are updating the summer timetables. This is the time of year they start doing that.
May 3rd, 2007, 08:40 AM

Foley,
Please don't panic--wWe had a delay getting our email as well when charges also showed pending and all turned out fine; think on one reservation I just went into the site with my password and printed it out from there instead.

Give it a day or two, then go back in and check. Also, be sure your spam filters are not blocking the email.

The site is sometimes a little quirky but dealing with it from a comfy chair at home beats spending travel time standing in line any day.

May 3rd, 2007, 08:58 AM

They're probably updating the strike schedules right now.
May 3rd, 2007, 09:23 AM

You will probably receive the email in few days, but if you don't, you can contact them here:
http://reclami-e-suggerimenti.trenit...nagrafica.aspx

Unfortunately the page is all in Italian, but you should be able to get through it with the help of Google Translate. I sent a complain about tickets I was trying to book and they responded in about 2 weeks - in Italian, even though I wrote my complaint in English.

By the way, part of my complaint had to do with fares in the summer. They replied that the Summer fares will be made available online May 15.
May 3rd, 2007, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help and advice! (and for keeping me calm)
May 3rd, 2007, 11:36 AM

I'm no Al Gore, but I'm fairly conversant with Web sites, and the Trenitalia site has stumped me more than once. And I speak Italian.

I had a similar experience when I wasn't sure if I had a ticket or not. I wouldn't worry too much. You most likely can buy a ticket at the station.

You don't say where you're taking the train, but at most of the major terminals, the customer service people are very helpful (and, I think, accustomed to hearing "I'm not sure if my Trenitalia transaction went through"). Tell them your story (in English) and have as much info available as possible, including CC# and the password you chose when you used the site. If they can't help, they'll direct you to one of the kiosks where you can verify whether there's a ticket reserved for you.