Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Getting this site to remember my name and email.

Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:12 AM
Patrick

I posted this without success on the Europe board so will try here. Computer experts?
On my old computer, Fodor's always remembered my name and email address. Type in the P and it would finish Patrick for me. On my new laptop with XP I can't get it to work. I've already double checked the auto-complete feature under tools which is checked and it seems to work on other sites just fine, but not here. What do I need to do? I'm getting tired of typing out Patrick and the whole earthlink address.

Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:21 AM
YourCompanysComupterGuy

Reboot?

Nov 3rd, 2002, 10:04 AM
Patrick

I've been trying for about a week, so have rebooted quite a number of times.

Nov 3rd, 2002, 10:06 AM
Owen O'Neill

Two possibilities:

1) If you ahve "pop-up stopper" software installed, try disabling it - the problem may go away (then you have to decide what's most important - adfree or auto complete on Fodor's).
2) Install ator software. It's a freebie that automatically remembers forms based on website URL's and fills then in for you when you visit the site.

Nov 3rd, 2002, 10:07 AM
Owen O'Neill

Typo caused missing character - the auto-completion software is called Gator.

Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:06 AM
Patrick

This is getting too strange. I saw your first post Owen and spent about a half hour looking at dozens of "ator" downloads, but nothing made sense. Then came back and found your correction. I have now downloaded the Gator one, but nope, still doesn't work for these. And I haven't installed a pop-up stopper on the new computer, but when I had one on the old one it didn't interfere with the memory on this site at all.

I'll keep trying.

Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:24 AM
Anthony

Patrick:
Windows XP operates differnetly from the previous versions. I checked with my partner, a computer consultant, and he said there are many settings to check, so it would be hard to diagnose via bulletin board. But he did say that depending what level of security you have selected, a too high lvevl could be causeing the problem

Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:30 AM
madge

I think Anthony is on to something here. I had a similar problem, and found that when I tried to set my security settings higher I suddenly lost all my saved log-ons, passwords, etc. So I had to go back to "medium" security. As someone else mentioned, it often comes down to a trade off between which function is more important to you.