Travelling to Europe from India

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2011, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!! I am planning a trip to europe with my family ( Total 3 people incl me) .
I was wondering what places should i cover. By the way it should be a 15 day trip. My budget is "Economy". I dont prefer flights and big hotels. So please suggest me a budget trip covering max places in europe in 15 days. We would like to travel on our own rather than going for any tour operators.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 04:13 AM

Welcome to Fodors. Participants here are ready to help you, but also need you to do a bit of research and narrow the choices to help you in the best way.

For example, since you want to travel to Europe, we assume there are already some places in your mind that you hope to visit. What places are these? If you have no idea, go to a bookstore and look at a guidebook for all of Europe and come back with a list of your dream choices.

What are your interests? Since you are one a budget, we don't want to waste your money by suggesting museums and architectural sights if your interests are natural beauty and shopping. Are all three people traveling adults? Will the family stay in one room?

It is easier for us to respond if you pose your question with some parameters, such as "We are two adults and one child age 12 traveling together from India to Europe. We have a budget €5,000 for 15 days not including airfare. We hope to visit London, Paris, Madrid, Rome, Tuscany, and Copenhagen. We love art museums and taking photos of natural beauty. Is our plan possible? Any hotels you can suggest?"
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 04:40 AM

www.eurocheapo.com good planning site for budget for you.

In 2 weeks Italy 1 week France 1 week by cheap regional train.

Pass on the pass almost always poor value lots of surcharges

All you have time for.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 05:42 AM

Western Europe is about the same physical size as India. And for all sorts of reasons has a great deal more things a visitor can choose from to visit - all likely still to be there in 50 years' time

You need to be very clear what you want to see. How important is it to see snow, a football match (or cricket in its birthplace), young people's clothes shops, Christian shrines or Harry Potter memorabilia, for example?

Even if you restrict yourself to one country, you'll see no more of it than a European would see of Maharashtra in the time.

The best way to use this site is to ask specific questions. Telling you to spend your time in Italy if Lord's or Topshop interest your child more than anything else is nuts.

Get yourself a decent map. Decide what you want to see, allowing half a day to fly between any two places more than 300 km apart, and an average hotel to hotel train speed of a bit under 80 kph for anywhere closer. Remember most Indians need (and must pay for) separate visas for Britain and continental western Europe.

That'll narrow your choice a lot. Then come back here, where people will be delighted to handle questions there are straightforward answers to. Mind-reading we're less good at.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 08:10 AM

If you are unsure, perhaps you might want to consider an organized tour. With no need for you to organize, can economically take you to multiple countries, seeing the major sites. In 15 days you could cover several countries.

http://www.globusjourneys.com/Vacati...ropean-Travel/
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 08:20 AM
J62

Since your 2 top criteria are

1. budget
2. max # places

can you clarify #2. Do you mean max # countries, or cities within one country, or something else.

This group here on Fodors is pretty experienced, so I'm sure someone can come up with an itinerary that will let you cover 10 or 15 countries in those 15 days, if that is your goal.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM

I think you need to provide more info on wha tyou mean by "economy". Countries in europe have a range of price points (from Switzerland with prices breath-taking even to a New Yorker) to countries like Spain and Greece with more modest prices. But we don;t know what yu mean by economy.

For instance - are we talking about 100 euros a night for a room for 3 people? If you stay in family B&Bs in small towns you can pay less but if you want to see major sights and stay in large cities - you may have to expand your budget. (There was a previous poster coming from Asia and asking about lodgings in Rome for 35 euros - which will get you perhaps one bed in a dorm room in a hostel.)

Also agree - that the more you travel around the higher your daily budget will be.

Suggest you google some of the major sights you want to see - just to have an idea of what you will have to spend per day for sights.
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 05:54 PM

The OP posted last January. First-time poster Kees topped the thread to advertise.
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 04:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You mean Kees joined and then advertised his company, surely that is against the Fodor rules?

Kees, is it your company or are you developing a zero profit website?