Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I want to see so much of europe that I am confused! PLZ HELP

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:44 PM
helpless

I want to everyhwere in the 3 weeks I will be in europebut I know it is impossible. I keep changing my mind. I started with France, Italy and England but now it seems to be switzerland, Italy and Austria. All i know is that I love natural sceneries, seeing tourists, shopping and doing a bit of museums and squares. So, what should I do?

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Snoopy

You've asked a pretty open ended question and a very subjective one at that. "Natural scenery, tourists, museums and squares" could very easily describe Bavaria in Germany.<BR><BR>Go to a library or a good book store and thumb through as many picture books as you can until you compile enough "must see" sights to create an itenerary. In three weeks, unless you are travelling on foot, you could easily see parts of all the countries you mentioned . . . again, depending on your mode of travel.<BR><BR>What do you want to see? Mountains, castles, big city museums? How will you be getting around? Train, plane, auto? You need to try to narrow it down a little or you'll just get everyone's "favorite place" list on this forum.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:01 PM
orgy7

just get a Eurail pass and see what you want too see. when ever. 3 weeks is enough too see most of europe. if you a are a certain type of traveller

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Rex

Tell us more about WHY you first thought to choose GB/F/I and why your thoughts have now migrated to CH/I/A - - and we might be able to make some sense out of a plan for you.<BR><BR>What month? How old are you? Any reason to think that you couldn't/wouldn't plan additional trips every (few) year(s) on into the future? Europe will still be there.<BR><BR>See also http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=34370771<BR><BR>or<BR><BR >http://www.travel-board.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=280<BR>< BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR><BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 04:01 PM
topper

up<BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Julie

There's no way anyone can see everything in 3 weeks or even 3 years, so when you go, just keep in mind that you can go again and again if you like.<BR><BR>Besides guidebooks, I recommend checking out some websites where you can "jump" from country to country such as eurotrip.com. Also, read the posts on this and other websites (Rick Steves and Frommers) as well.<BR><BR>And don't get frustrated--have fun with the planning stage as well as the trip itself. Good luck.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:29 PM
stanberys2

Helpless, welcome to the club! We're leaving for our 4th trip in two weeks, stayed 3 weeks on each previous trip and I STILL have difficulty deciding where to go. But I must say this, the two countries that I always think of first are England and Italy.<BR><BR>This time we won't be staying in either and I keep trying to think of a way we can at least get down to Venice for a day or two!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Andrea

I agree with the above suggestions to do a lot of research before you go, have a list in priority order of what you'd MOST like to see, and buy a Eurail pass. Then, I recommend you just go where each day takes you!<BR><BR>Two years ago, at the last minute we decided to go to Switzerland for Christmas - and upon arrival, discovered that the streets were absolutely EMPTY. ALL the shops & restaurants had signs saying they would be closed until Jan 3 or 8, and there were no people on the streets (yes, yes, I know it was silly of us not to have researched in advance - it was a last minute trip & sounded like a good idea at the time).<BR><BR>So, we pulled out a map & decided to take the train to Milan. We spent 2 days there & then decided to make our way over to France. Every evening over dinner, we'd decide whether we wanted to stay in our current city for another day or two or hop on a train the next morning and go someplace new. It was fabulous fun! <BR><BR>I'd make a list by country of the places you think you'd like to see in priority order. So let's say you keep (in this order) England, France, Italy, Switzerland, and Austria. In England you might start in London, and then you'll know that if you do a day trip to the countryside, you'll have to drop Austria. Or in France, you may go to Paris & opt to visit Provence by dropping Venice. You can go at whatever pace you feel up to and at the end of your trip you may have visited your whole list or maybe just stayed in 3 places you loved.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 10:45 PM
jack

Ditto everything. <BR><BR>I did a fair bit of research but wish I had the time to do at least double. Plan to spend a lot of time researching and then you'll know what to do. When I say a lot I mean you need to almost make it a passion, not just some token fodors surfing and guidebook perusing but serious feasting on as much info as possible.<BR><BR>Assming you'll get back to the countries I fully recommending a scratch and sniff visit to the west europe countries you mentioned but don't expect too much time for shopping. <BR><BR>Personally, as a result of my trip I ahve decided not to travel to europe anymore like this. Next time i go it will be to work and then over a year I will take short breaks around the region and then when I'm finished then I will change regions. I think this is the only way to really experience a place....but for now just get into it, get a taste of your dreams, be well prepared but ready to change at a minutes noticea nd you'll ahve fun. <BR><BR>we got a car and went to drive from paris to nice but 2 hours down the road we stopped at a petrol station as it was raining and then 20 minutes later we got back in and drove to Bern. It snowed!!!! By the time we got to nice it was sunny and warm so it just goes to prove that you need to be flexible.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 01:36 AM
helpless

Everyone thanks so much for replying. It is such a nice feeling to have this little community. As for my travelling, first it was France, England and Italy but when I started looking thru guide books and pictures of places in europe i got confused becuase everything looked good. The only place I have been to is London and I loved it and want to go again. Italy is a MUST for me, I liked the scneries in switzerland and austria. I have also just seen a picute of the neuschwainstein castle and just loved the way it looks *sighs*. I also coolect dresden plates sogermany appeals to me.<BR>

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Rex

I don't know why this same pathetic, anonymous "x" posts these misleading messages about me. I am NOT a professional guide. I am a physician, working about half the time, and passionate about small group trips. Most of these have been family or friends or friends of family, but I have done one trip for a group of people assembled prdominantly over the internet - - the "Fodorites' trip to Italy 2001". There is various (pre-trip) info on the website mentioned above.<BR><BR>And true, "helpless" would be welcome to join in on any future trips (though none are concretely planned for next year as I write this). I'm not sure that I am likely to do a "sampler" of several countries anytime soon, though I have done so, 7 of my 22 times to Europe (5 with groups, 4 of those as the leader; twice solo).<BR><BR>Two particularly good samplers were:<BR><BR>England two days, Italy 7 days, France 4 days, England 2 days<BR><BR>and<BR><BR>Munich 1 day, Salzburg 2 days, Germany 4 days, south of France 5 days (flew from Strasbourg to Nice), Italy 3 days.<BR>

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 05:21 AM
wow

I can't beleive how much some of our american cousins (take it you are from USA) want and expect to see in three weeks! I am from England, and that would be three holidays, spread over a year or so. How can you appreciate each country? its a whirlwind tour.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Snoopy

Wow,<BR><BR>In the US, whirlwind tours are no longer against the law. Nor is an insane need to see as much as possible in a very short period of time. Im not sure why some people insist that the only way to "see" Europe or any part of it is at a snail's pace, with an historian's perspective and a school teacher's expectation.<BR><BR>There's nothing metaphysically superior to standing in front of Stonehenge for two hours, for example, over whizzing past it at 90km/hr.<BR><BR>To prove my insanity: I flew into Amsterdam with a buddy, drove to Garmish, on to Salzburg, back to Zurich, to Paris, Brussles and back to Amsterdam in 7 days at an average speed of 100 miles/hr. I would NEVER recommend this style of travel to anyone, nor would I judge them negatively if they wanted to do something similar.<BR><BR>So, would you suggest that I didn't see anything on my 7-day whirlwind tour? Or that I didn't "get to know" Europe? Whatever that means.<BR><BR>Sorry wow. I lost my head. I didn't mean to be nasty. I have a lot of sympathy for people who are afraid they'll never get to go to Europe again, want to see as much as possible, grew up with cheap gasoline and fast cars, and enjoy viewing the countryside and small villages from the comfort of a car.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Geez!

Snoopy - then just buy a video and avoid the jet lag.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Snoopy

Thanks, Geez!<BR><BR>Not metaphysical enough. And you don't get any souveniers with a video.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:07 AM
wow

Dear Snoops,<BR>I'm sorry not to have your opinion on travelling. Over here, we have freedom of speech and I was expressing my opinions. Get your head out your 'ass'

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Mona

As a suggestion you could fly into Paris, spend a few days and then move onto Geneva-cruising Lake Geneva--see Montreux, then onto Vienna (don't miss Schloss Schonbrunn Palace), Salzburg, Obersalzburg to see the Eagle's Nest (gorgeous views from atop the mountain), then the Italian Lake District with some time in Italy--Milan (rent car), Florence, Tuscany (Montepulciano good base), and ending in Rome (don't miss Sistine Chapel and the Galleria Borghese) with a trip to Pompeii.<BR>In summary: <BR>Paris, <BR>Geneva, <BR>Vienna, <BR>Salzburg, <BR>Eagle's Nest at Obersalzburg, <BR>Italy: Italian Lake District, Montepulciano, Florence, Tuscany and Umbria, Rome and Pompeii.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Carolyn

Helpless,<BR>It would help us give you better information if we knew the month, if you will be on your own and if you are comfortable renting a car or planning on using public transportation.<BR>

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Amanda

One of the most beautiful areas in Europe is in southwest Germany around Lake Konstanz! Check it out and stop by if you're anywhere in that area.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:07 AM
my itinerary

Here is a 3 week trip I did that worked out grand. Fly into Geneva and spend time along Lac Luman (Lausanne, Vevey, Montreux). Stay a week. Take the overnight train to Venice. Stay a week. Take the overnight train to Paris (thru Milan). Stay a week. Fly out of Paris.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -