Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling to the UK this week?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070112/...severe_weather
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:53 PM

Yesterday's weather is never much of a guide to what British weather is going to be like tomorrow. Or even to what it was like for most of yesterday. What the weather was like three days ago is no guide to anything.

Wednesday and Thursday's storms (which are what the article refers to) have pretty well abated. There are still heavy rain warnings for Western Scotland - but for today (Saturday) only. The forecast for the next week (www.metoffice.gov.uk) is just unsettled.

And how does that differ from the other 51 weeks of any year?

On the ground, there are a few fallen trees in some woodland, the rural footpaths are AMAZINGLY muddy (it's been raining exceptinally for the past six weeks), and a distressing amount of spring buds and bulbs are showing themselves (one decent frost'll kill'em).

But that's about it. No-one'd come here in Jan without rainwear, and that's all you need this week.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 11:19 PM

It was blowing a gale here until about 2:00am with heavy rain and it felt colder than a taxman's stare

6 hours later it's warm, dry and not a breath of wind
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Update: hurricane-force winds battering Britain.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6274377.stm
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 10:53 AM

<<< Update: hurricane-force winds battering Britain. >>>

Barely a breath of wind all day in Edinburgh, and once the snow stopped the sun came out
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 10:59 AM

Perhaps these severe weather warnings worry Robespierre who has a penchant for staying well out of cities when actually visiting that city.

London's been windy today, some heavy showers. It's January, no great surprise! As others have mentioned, as long as you've got an umbrella and a warm coat there is nothing to concern you. In fact, the weather has been extremely mild to date, but is set to cool next week.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:06 AM

Unless you're planning on travelling by train:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/downlo...Tablev1930.htm
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:07 AM

The north of England has been battered by high winds today. I work in an office below the flightpath into Manchester airport, where the planes are making their final approach. We watched several planes coming into land, getting very low, swaying violently and aborting their landing at the last moment - I'm glad I wasn't on one of those planes! There were many local roads, including the one outside our office, blocked by fallen trees or trucks that had blown over. The M60 motorway was closed in both directions at one point. Not far from where I live, a woman was killed when a wall blew down. Add to that some roads closed this morning by floods and we have had a pretty rough day.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Yes, things have subsided pretty much here too. It's still quite breezy, but not bad. No major problems in our vicinity although the trains are running with delays due to speed restrictions (plus leaves on tracks, no doubt)...in the end, things were not as bad as it had seemed like they might be earlier in the day. We didn't get much rain either.
We went through a worse windstorm in Portland, OR, some years ago.
Of course there was damage up and down the UK, but compared to the ice storms in Texas and the Midwest...
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

"Perhaps these severe weather warnings worry Robespierre who has a penchant for staying well out of cities when actually visiting that city."

How informative. Thank you for your penetrating insight.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 12:46 PM

It's been peachy here.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
sheila -where are you?

here in Cornwall it's not too bad, for once, though we've had a small tree break overnight [O well, i didn't like it anyway, but my DH wouldn't let me dig it up, so the weather has done it for me!]

Looks pretty bad other places though!
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Wales has also taken a bashing due to the hurricane force winds. 1000's of people were without power most of the day. Fallen trees, parts of roofs blown off, the odd lorry blown over and flooding, it is also pouring down with rain. Travel problems trains and flights cancelled, still several flood alerts, but even when it is this bad it never lasts for long. I would not let it put any one off coming. I mean our storms are nothing like the storms you get abroad.