Notices

Cambridge weather

Old Jun 29th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cambridge weather

Will be there in July...wondering what the weather might be like? I've read England can be sunny and rainy in a single day, but any ideas of the temperature range? Most of the weather sites say daytime highs anywhere between 60F to 74F...just wantd to get an idea of which end of that range is more accurate. Thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Sylvia

It is honestly impossible to say. When you are there it could actually dip below 60%F although it's unlikely. It's also possible that it could go up as far as 80%

Before you go, check http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/
for a five day forecast.
It's 9am at the moment and the temperature in Cambridge is 15C/59F
For the next five days it seems to be between 20-21C/68/69F

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 01:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Susie,

Over the past few weeks the max temperature has been in the range 20?C-25?C. If I remember correctly, 21?C is 70?F. July is likely to be much the same, if not slightly warmer.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 01:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Which end of that range is more accurate?" Neither. Nor is either end more probable than the other.

The range covers about 90% of recorded July days. The unpredictability of English weather isn't a joke: it's a scientific fact - and there's evidence that for all the last 50 years' advances in meteorology, UK weather forecasts haven't improved in accuracy.

The technical explanation of why English weather is pretty unpredictable I'll leave to someone else. But work on the principle that all forecasts are inaccurate, and you should cater for most eventualities throughout the year.

With one exception: however sunny the day, it's pretty likely it'll rain today or tomorrow at some point.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 10:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After having led bicycle tours for ten years in England i can attest that it really does rain often and potentially for long periods of time even in July and it can be cool, in the 50s for days on end. or it can be nice but expect to bundle up. As for the expected daily highs, take these with a grain of rain as it may be overcast all day and the sun (so called 'sunny spells' on UK weather forecasts) pops out briefly, pushing that days high up several degrees. Also pay little attention to the amount of rain a month, figures some months rival those in Rome, but in East Anglia area it's more of a drizzle so you get lots of bits of rain, the figure you want to see is the number of days a month it rains, not the total downpour. Expect more 60 highs than 74 - a 74 degree day is often treated like a holiday. There's a reason most trees are covered with moss facing the west, the way the wind blows in the rain. But who knows you may hit the rare hot spell.