Traveling to the Amalfi Coast

Sep 25th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Traveling to the Amalfi Coast

We have a villa for a week in Positano from October 3-October 10. We are flying in and out of Rome. Had originally planned to rent a car and drive to Positano. We obviously want to see other areas, Pompeii, Sorrento, Amalfi and Capri. Would we be better off using trains and buses to get around? If so, where do you find schedules, buy tickets etc.
Sep 25th, 2009, 09:42 AM
GAC

www.ferroviedellostato.it
www.marozzivt.it
www.curreriviaggi.it
www.sitabus.it
www.vesuviana.it
www.coopsantandrea.it
www.metrodelmare.com

You really don't need a car, if you prefer not to drive. You can visit most sites in the vicinity using buses, trains and boats. These include: Naples, Pompei, Sorrento, Capri, Praiano, Amalfi, Ravello and Paestum. Many, many foreigners rent a car but end up keeping it parked in the hotel lot for much of their stay. IMO, a car is more of a liability than an asset given your travel plans.
Sep 25th, 2009, 11:38 AM

You can rely on public transportation, but don't be dissuaded from renting a car if that's what you really want to do. DH and I have driven on the AC and it's not as bad as one hears. We prefer to come and go when we please. Plus in October the traffic will be much less than in high season.
Oct 5th, 2009, 08:31 AM

This is helpful as we (four of us, two couples) are planning to rent a car in Rome, drive to the Amalfi Coast, through Tuscany and to Venice. Naturally we would love some info from drbb about the drive around the AC. Can we start north and travel south around the coast and into Sorrento? What was your favorite place to stay or visit?
Oct 5th, 2009, 08:52 AM

bookmarking
Oct 5th, 2009, 09:01 AM

bogger...The first thing that you have to recognise is that you're taking on a lot of driving. Rome to Positano is about 4 hours(175 miles) and then 8 to 10 hours (nearly 500 miles) to get up to Venice. That's assuming that you don't stop other than for fuel and the necessary.

However, I guess that you'll be taking it in easy stages? What time of the year are you doing this? That will dictate how long it takes to get up and down the Amalfi Coast. Summer will take a lot longer.

I always prefer Positano to stay as I think that it's the nicest and most spectacular of the villages. I know that others on this board prefer Amalfi, Ravello etc. Sorrento is not the greatest place to stay, but does have a few more restaurants, just on a size basis. Personally I'd just drive through it to Positano.
Oct 5th, 2009, 10:20 AM

In October I would definitely rent a car. There is no train on the Amalfi coast - it goes only as far as Sorrento or Salerno. Fomr there you have to do local bus - or ferries (and I don;t know Oct schedules).
Oct 6th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Great information for a future planned trip. Bookmarking.