Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Amsterdam? Catch the Anne Frank Video

Oct 5th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Anne Frank VideoMore on this page
Anne Frank Video– The only known live Anne Frank video has been released for the public to view and the images are chilling.

This Anne Frank video shows the young Jewish girl leaning out the window of her apartment window in Amsterdam about a year before her family went into hiding to avoid persecution on the Jews by the Nazis.
Martellus Bennett Black Olympics... Tiger Woods Fart Video (3) Tea Party Signs (4) Steve McNair Funeral Pictures (12) Sarah Palin Rap Song (2)Go to the pageAnne Frank Video – The only known live Anne Frank video has been released for the public to view and the images are chilling. This Anne Frank video shows the young Jewish girl ...

1stnews.org/680/anne-frank-video · 2 days ago

A popular place to visit in Amsterdam is the Anne Frank House/Museum. And i thought it would be interesting to catch the only glimpse of Anne known to exist on video before going to the house.
Oct 5th, 2009, 01:06 PM

Yes, this video is a superb production which we bought when at the Anne Frank house a few years ago. It clearly shows Anne leaning out of the window looking at a wedding party outside their apartments. Without going to check I am sure it is narrated by Kenneth Branagh. I am also sure it is a BBC production.

More than that though, many of those who grew up with Anne and some of whom also ended up in concentration camps are also interviewed. They knew Anne and her sister and their memories are chilling at times.
Oct 5th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Palenque...last time we were in Am'dam, the house (huis) was full of graffiti...hope thay've put a stop to that.

stu
Oct 5th, 2009, 01:54 PM

I am curious about the location of the video. The architecture does not look very much like anything I have seen in Amsterdam.

Actually the Frank family were Germans. They had fled Frankfurt and settled in Amsterdam where Anne's father continued his business in the spice trade. He stayed too long. Of course nobody knew that Hitler was going to end the "phony war" in May 1940 with the invasion of the Low Countries and then France. Holland surrendered in 5 days. The Frank family was trapped and hid for their own survival.

A real hero of the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands is Corrie Ten Boom of Haarlem. She and her Christian family put themselves in harm's way to rescue American and British fliers downed over Holland and many Dutch Jews. Her book "The Hiding Place" is an epic. Many other Dutch people took part in the underground and a number were murdered in public by the Gestapo. My landlord had a close escape.
Oct 5th, 2009, 03:41 PM

The documentary is excellent. It also explains that the Franks were well off and their home in Amsterdam was in one of the newer developments at that time which were fashionable. Probably well beyond the historic area most tourists would see.
Oct 5th, 2009, 03:45 PM

The name of the documentary is Anne Frank Remembered. It is a BBC production from 2004 but is available on Amazon.com in the US.
Oct 5th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Is the documentary based on the book Anne Frank Rembered by Miep Gies? She was one of the people who helped hide the Franks.
Oct 6th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Stu - the graffiti stuff makes me sick - sorry to hear that and will look for it in my upcoming Amsterdam visit
Oct 6th, 2009, 08:25 AM

Thanks, Palenque...intrested in knowing..in fact the whole city was rife with graffiti back then (about 9 years ago)..."scrubbing" teams were at work everywhere.
stu
Oct 6th, 2009, 08:28 AM

I don't remember seeing any graffiti a few months ago. Book your tickets online before you leave, the lines arew horrendous!
Oct 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM

november_moon

I'm not sure if the film is based on Miep's book but she is interviewed many times in this production.

Joe
Oct 6th, 2009, 02:34 PM

I will definitely look up that documentary.

And I second (third?) the recommendation to get tix ahead of time to visit the house. I didn't get my act together to buy tix ahead of time and the lines were very long, so we decided to save the visit to the house for another trip.
Oct 6th, 2009, 03:07 PM

I should also have mentioned, it is available on DVD too.

Joe