Car Needed on Amalfi Coast?

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Needed on Amalfi Coast?

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon at the end of April/beginning of May 2005 on the Amalfi Coast, then onto Rome. Most likely, we'll be staying at the Grand Quisiana in Capri, the Grand Excelsior Vittoria in Sorrento, and at Le Sirenuse in Positano. Will we need a car to get around these towns and from these hotels to shops/restaurants/town centers? Thanks for any help!
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:32 PM

I have driven all over Italy with no problems but would not want to drive on the Amalfi Coast. There are plenty of transportation options. Part of our honeymoon was on the Amalfi Coast (Santa Christina Hotel above Amalfi) and during the day we walked or took buses, by night we walked or took cabs and you can also explore other areas of the coast by water shuttle which was fun. Enjoy your stay!
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:45 PM

I don't recommend a car. We stayed in Positano and your hotel is in a very accessible location. You can easily get to restaurants and shops from there. After witnessing the driving...I wouldn't do it!
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:53 PM
cw

It's up to you. Whatever your comfort level is in driving.

We (three couples) had two cars for our week in Sorrento in June-July 2001. While the roads are narrow and twist and turn along the coast, I found the driving easy, and the Italian drivers were quite tolerant of tourists.

It was easier for us to have the freedom to go when we wanted.

It all depends on what your plans are and where you will want to go.

We drove to Sorrento from Rome, returned the car in Sorrento and took a car service to our flight in Naples.

Have a wonderful trip.

CW
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:23 PM

Well, first of all you can;t have a car on Capri - none are allowed except for the local "taxis" - and you walk everywhere.

GEV is right in the center of town (although it doesn;t seem like it because of the extensive gardens). So you don;t need a car in Sorrento - unless you want to do day trips - Pompeii or Naples etc.

Have not stayed at Le Sirenuse - but I believe that you may need a taxi for shopping.

I would not rent a car within each town - but if you want to do the whole Drive - see Amalfi, Positano etc a car would be helpful. Also, how are you planning on getting to these hotels? Car service? Bus?

(We stayed in Sorrento - had driven down from rome and then on to florence - and found the car very useful for day trips. Don;t let people scare you about the Amalfi Drive - it really isn;t scary at all - esp at that time of year when traffic is lighter - as long as you're a confident driver with reasonable skills.)
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:10 PM
az

depends on how much flexibility you want and whether or not you enjoy driving. bus is cheaper, adequate and reliable, BUT you only get to to where/when the bus goes. and sometime it can be VERY crowded. what if you want to stay late at a very nice night spot you discover or get up really early to catch a sunrise from one of the many scenic points? or just strike out through the countryside on your own? and if you enjoy exciting driving, the amalfi coast is hard to beat. for more insight/humor on driving the a.c., see "rules for driving the amalfi coast" below on this forum.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:46 PM

I would rely on the very common SITA busses that navigate up and down throughout the Amalfi Coast towns. There are departures usually every 15-20 minutes with returns late in the evening (dependent on the town). Plus, you won't have to worry about parking charges.

You will obviously take a ferry over to Capri, then one back to Sorrento (the Grand Excelsior Vittoria in Sorrento is overlooking the Marina at water's edge. There is a pedestrian walkway up the hill, Piazza Tasso and the shopping areas are all to your R). Positano has two (2) bus stops - one at the beginning of town, and one towards the end.

Leave the perilous driving of the Amalfi Coast up to the experienced Italians! Plus you can relax and take pictures along the way. Enjoy yourselves!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:17 AM

One note about the GEV: from the marina there is no need to walk up into the town - the hotel has a private elevator built into the cliff that takes you directly down to or up from the marina where the hydrofoils/ferries arrive. From the hotel any bellman can take you down in the elevator - and I seem to remember you just ring the bell to have them come to take you back up to the hotel lobby - valuable esp if you will be hauling luggage from Capri.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:14 AM
ira

Hi mo,

The problem with driving on the AC is lack of parking and tour buses clogging the road.

You will be early in the season and may avoid these problems.

Enjoy your visit.