Travel in Turkey

Search

Travel in Turkey

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel in Turkey

I am very interested in travelling to Turkey this summer yet don't know if it's safe. Has anyone been recently? How was the sentiment towards Americans? If safe, where should I go?
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:04 PM
jor

I have not been there recently but you should know that the Turks are some of the most friendly people in Europe/Mediteranian. I see no reason why anything has changed because of the war.
Old May 28th, 2003, 03:09 PM

Dear Allisonw,

Turkish People love everybody who wants to visit their country, You are welcome too. If you go to Turkey you will see the real hospitality Go to Turkey and have fun with New Turkish friends.

if you need your help for your trip to Turkey I always here.

Sinan Akdeniz
[email protected]
Old May 28th, 2003, 07:03 PM

We have just had three weeks in Turkey and found it safe, interesting and most welcoming. We had a number of Americans with us and none of them had any problems.

Bear in mind Turkey is a secular country, a NATO country and provides training facilities for the Israeli air force.
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:54 AM

I know an American guy married to a Turkish girl. They were there recently and said there were no problems. In fact, they were invited to coffee at the homes of strangers *because* he is American.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:19 PM

With all these world travelers I'm surprised how many of you fear traveling in a "Muslim" country. (regardless of whether it is secular or not) Muslim comes in all shapes and sizes....not to mention perspectives.

We wouldn't want them to judge all Americans by some of the fundamentalist Christians living in the US.

Enjoy your trip to this beautiful Muslim country (99% of population) You might even learn something about them as people.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 02:13 PM

We were in Turkey in October 2001, arriving 3 weeks after 9/11. We were treated with kindness and courtesy everywhere, and are eager to go back. It's a beautiful country.

No doubt the standard cautions apply if you are, for instance, a single woman traveler; in Turkey, as anywhere else in the world...
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 03:20 PM

We were in Turkey during the war in March. The people were friendly and hospitable and could not have been kinder to us Americans. Go to Turkey and enjoy a country full of wonderful sites to see and friendly peoople waiting to welcome you.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 12:52 PM

Fellow travellers express their feeling about your questions. I thank them personally.

Should you wish any advice how to gather a nice itinerary I am here to assist you with your questions.

Turkey is just an extraordinary experience... Hope you will come and enjoy...

Murat

[email protected]
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 12:26 PM

My husband and I just returned from 15 wonderful days in Turkey. I agree with Murat, Turkey is an extrodinary experience. The people could not have been warmer or kinder. I felt very safe at all times!
When I told people we were from the U.S., the response was always very positive and they lamented that there were not more Americans visiting.
I urge you to go and listen to the beautiful sound of the call to prayer (I found it beautiful even at 5am), smell the scents of the spice market, see the deep blue of the Bosphoros and the ut of this world landscape of Cappadocia, taste the mezes and the kebaps. It is a country that brings all your senses alive, not to mention it has 5000 year old underground cities to explore, wonderful Hellenic and Christian sites in the Aegean area and unbelivably beautiful mosques. I would go back in a heartbeat.