Safety in Turkey?

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety in Turkey?

My husband and I are thinking about traveling to Turkey in the spring but the State Department warnings about safety have us wondering if it is a good idea. Has anyone experienced anti-American incidents and what about petty crime?
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 05:39 PM

Check some of the other countries with warnings, you will find places like the UK and France are rated more dangerous, in fact the Australian government has a higher warning level for the US than Turkey !!! And it is all a bit relative, you are still ten thousand times more likely to die in your car on the way to the airport !!
Pleasant thought I know ?)
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 06:13 PM

Hi Priscilla800

I am definitly sure that if you go to Turkey you want to go back back again. Turkey is the safest country in the world. We have better security then USA right now, and you will be safe when you go to Turkey.

Go and enjoy yourself
Sinan Akdeniz
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 07:44 PM
sandi

Turkey is as safe, if not more so, than most major countries around the world, including our own. If we all did what the State Department warnings indicate - we'd never leave home. Unless bombs are falling - I'll go anywhere.

Turkey will be worth every moment you spend there. Amazing history and ruins, warm and friendly people, good food, interesting shopping; felt perfectly safe even many evenings when we walked around in Istanbul and Izmir. Traffic can be challenging when trying to cross streets, but otherwise, a trip not to be missed.

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 12:57 AM

Turkey is a safe country and you should have no fear to travel there.
The normal precautions to safeguard your wallet in Istanbul should be taken-but is no different in New York.
My wife and I (Americans) live part of the year there and have never experienced any anti-american feelings.
The Turkish people, in general are friendly, courteous, and want you to get the best impression possible of their country.
the State Department warnings about most countries ,taken at the face value would make you stay at home-see Marko post.
We constantly see US congressional delegations and individual members of Congress on so called "fact finding" missions enjoying Turkish hospitality.
It is obviously no prob
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 05:56 AM

Turkey can be very dangerous. You can call the Butterball hotline and get information on how to thaw and cook your turkey so you won't get sick.
Remember a little extra caution can make your Turkey safe!
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 10:33 AM

earl30, You are too funny! That is the way I feel about Turkey too!
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 01:09 PM

My husband and I spent two weeks in May this year in Turkey. Everyone warned us, but we had no problems, in fact the opposite, people in small villages to big cities were helpful, happy to see us and we never felt concerned one bit. The Turkish people have a high standard for hospitality, other more "civilized" countries I have been to, including our own, could learn something from Turkey and the right way to treat tourists.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 01:22 PM

Alas ... the power and influence of Hollywood movies.

Remember "Midnight Express"? I saw that movie some 15 years (?) ago, and had since thought of Turkey as dangerous, in the sense that if you get into trouble with the authority, you get thrown into the dungeon, and get tortured by some fat sadistic guard (it's a "minus". not a "plus")
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 01:37 PM

Priscilla- please put your mind at ease. When we were leaving for Turkey this fall, friends and relatives were aghast that we would risk it. Of course none had ever been there and all based their opinions on hearsay and rumor. When we returned they were even more aghast that we felt perfectly secure and that in our opinion the Turks were the most welcoming, polite, and friendly people we had ever met on our many trips to both Europe and Asia. Go and enjoy!
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 02:20 AM

Earl, you're a hoot !!
have you seen my recipe for Turkey with children....should be pressure cooker material.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 03:07 AM

My wife and I have traveled throughout Turkey, from north to south, from west to east, and we never had the least cause for feeling anything but safe. If you are looking for hospitality, excellent food, and good lodging at very low prices, Turkey is the place to go. The ancient ruins -- from many civilizations -- are fascinating. And you will be impressed by the many modern developments, too.