Search

Rural Turkey Safety

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rural Turkey Safety

Hello:
My husband is offered a position to work with people of Trukey in rural areas this summer. The business is in "cattle breeding". Latest news on T.V. is that there have been some
skirmishes or battles on the Eastern borders
near Iran. Any suggestions out there as to the relative safety for a person to work in Turkey ?? It's a not-so-safe world anymore and I have concerns .
Thanks for any input, Ilonka
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 01:14 AM

Hi Ilonka;
Turkey is a big country, so you need to be more spesific when you say rural Turkey. Definition of rural also changes according to perception. Some say even Cappadocia rural, so !

If you are going to work right at Iraq border this could be a bit depressive I do not say dangerous !....

Along the border army controlls the area against the terrorists sneaking from Iraq and time to time fights happen along or in Iraq borders. Anyway there is hardly any place where people lives due to geography. So you should be located more inlands off this region?

My experince; foreigners working in Turkey usually get better conditions than locals and they are looked after better, so you are fine in that respect ;-)

Good Luck with the job,
Murat
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 04:33 AM

We are 2 Americans who just returned from a trip to Turkey. Although my husband initially had apprehensions before our trip, we had no qualms about safety whatsoever once we arrived. We were both on and off the tourist path. We had a rental car and drove to areas that I am sure would be considered rural or way out of the way in central Turkey. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Julies, so what were the highlights of your trip? We just booked a 2 week great deal with Gate 1 that has a good amount of free time. We will be doing an interior trip, not the coast, and I don't want to miss anything
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:44 AM

My experience of long ago... and i don't think the situation has improved - i took a bus thru Afghanistan and Iran and into Turkey to Istanbul.

Afghanistan and Iran were no problem vis a vis muslim approbation against westerners but when we got to eastern Turkey that all changed. Kids ubiquitously threw rocks at any westerner walking around, etc. a very uncomfortable scene.

This was Kurd-dominated far eastern Turkey.