Traveling to Turkey next week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are finally leaving for Turkey in 10 days. We have been reading about anti-american demonstrations in Istanbul. Anyone have any take on whether the atmosphere will be safe for us travelling around the country? We have been so looking forward to our trip.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 12:25 PM

ttt
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 12:32 PM

My wife and I just returned from traveling around Turkey in a rental car. We went from Istanbul to Cappadoccia to the west coast of Turkey. Everywhere we went the people were helpful and very friendly.
We have visited just about every European country and the people of Turkey rate at the top of our list. Relax, you are going to love Turkey!
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Thanks Kettamic, I am so happy to read your positive review and what you think about us

Bouchet; there is an anger to your administration but fortunatelly not to the citizens.....

Happy travelling,
Murat
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Anger to our administration?

I don't believe you know our government system.

The White House (President, the Administrative Branch part of our goverment) is against the Armenian bill and they promised to veto it.

It's the Congress (The Legislative Branch, Senators and Representatives) that pushed this bill through for voting on the floor.
Perhaps you should be angry at them?

The Judicial Branch has nothing to do with this unless it ends up in courts at some point.

Just thought we should have the facts straight.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 02:09 PM

How rude. He was trying to reassure the original poster and it turns so ugly.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 02:33 PM

how is it rude to state the facts?
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 06:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Rather than a tutorial to a single Turkish citizen in English on the intricacies of our form of democracy, I think information of this sort should be provided in the other person's language lest the non-American misunderstand any details of the "lesson."
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 06:53 PM

I'll second that one!!
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 10:00 PM

AAFF, put down the wrath and step away from the indignant. IMHO you are reading too much into what was intended as a reassurance and not political analysis. Please note there was no reference to the Armenian issue.
And FWIW, the statement is probably true in most of the world these days, and has nothing to do with the Armenian issue.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 11:45 PM

AA is correct- the discontent is all about the Armenian issue in Turkey. Certainly most there have little conception US governmental functions and duties , just as americans have little or no knowledge of government and sensitive political issues in Turkey.

I spend much time in Turkey and in fact watch their international TV station almost daily via satelite in Europe, so see a little of what happens.

Travelers should have no trouble at all in Turkey.
The turkish people are most friendly as mentioned some places above.
They will accept tourists , first as individuals- not as citizens of this or that country.

They welcome Americans, just as they welcome Iranian and Isrealis too.
This political issue and political demonstrations will do nothing to cause problems for the tourist.

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 01:54 AM

The facts are

- Newspapers promoting hate to sell more of their daily circulation
- Government that doesn't accept the facts of a genocide that happened a long time ago and finally settle the issue
- People that believe it's an attack to them, when one mentions the evil deeds of some of their ancestors.

I'm not very optmistic all this will change soon.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 03:22 AM

Merhaba! I was just in Turkey for 6 days (October 1st-7th). I didn't feel any non-American sentiment while I was there. I seemed to get more stares due to my "non burka-like outfit" (to the knee shorts and a t-shirt). Enjoy your stay in Turkey. I can't wait to go back!
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 04:43 AM

Relax and have a wonderful time in Turkey. I was in western Turkey (Agean & Mediterranean Coasts) for a week in September. People were constantly asking "where are you from?" At first I was reluctant to say I was from the US. I finally fessed up and was met with extraordinary reactions - like I love America! One shop keeper even gave me a hug. I never received a negative response. So many Turks I met have traveled to the US (or want to). I was astonished at their kindness. I've traveled to 28 foreign countries and I must say the Turks are the best. I was even invited to a private home for dinner. Turkey is an extraordinary country with extraordinary people. Go, have a wonderful time. I myself can't wait to go back.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM

I was just in Turkey from Sept. 23 until Oct. 10th started in Istanbul went to Cappadocia, Konya, the Med and Aegean Coasts and felt safe and welcomed the entire time. Enjoy your time in Turkey!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Not that I care and I'm going to Turkey in December, but anybody reporting on their trip that took place before 10/10 is not really reporting what's going on there right no. In Istanbul there are anti-American demonstrations, the Turkish government has recalled their US ambassodor and threating to cut ties with Washington, there is talk about shutting down US military base that supports our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The angry reply is due to the the Armenian genocide vote in the congressional commitee and now its also used as a way to invade northen Iraq by Turkey which US does not want it to happen at this time.

I'm not saying that the hotel owner/employee or the store/restaurant/tour employees will act any different, but the situation has certainly changed in the last few days.

Please read the reports from bbc.com, cnn.com, your local news provider, the State Dept. warnings about traveling to Turkey at the moment.

Like I said, I'm not an alarmist, but I'm a realist. It's fine to travel there, but certain precautions have to be taken in the major cities.

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 01:31 PM

I was in Turkey through Oct 15 and didn't hear anything about the Armenian resolution until I read it on the internet! So don't worry.

AAFF there is always "anger to our administration" no matter what branch of gov't we are talking about. I'm sure you don't know all the intricacies of other countries' governmental systems. Does it matter if it is Bush or the Congress who pisses someone off? We elect all of them and they select the judicial branch - thus they all represent the American people in one way or another. Chill out.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 10:55 PM

Bouchet,

Like Murat, I live here in Turkey. As stated previously, the current tension is from the anticipated House vote on the Armenian Genecide Resolution. I do not think it will have an impact on your travel plans. A date has not been set for the vote and support appears to be declining. I would encourage you to register with the Embassy in Ankara via the State Dept website. www.state.gov

This is an amazing country with very hospitable people. My 77-year-old mother was just here visiting for three weeks and we had a great time driving all over the country.

Enjoy your trip!

Patty
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 07:17 AM

Hi Bouchet,
Hope you will enjoy and let us know about your trip in Turkey....

Thanks native English speakers to give your opinion on what I tried to say!

Just wanted to comment on some points for the general posts;

I knew a little bit of the difference of Administration and the congress as mentioned. How we percieve is they are both legal organs of the American democracy and its systems and people are voting for them. They are ruling the country one way or another. As said on my previous post when you talk with locals they will be as hospitable as to any foreign visitor to Turkey (Believe me or not Americans are more appreciated as they try to localize themselves and speak to locals and show interest and respect to the country & culture & people - different than all inclusive resorts type tourists we receive)for a local it does not matter who is saying what but what has been said overall, congress or Republicans or Democrats. People will find you as point of referance to tell you what they feel about. We are (fortunately) a nation of emotions, so thats it.

American people will receive the famous Turkish Hospitality after 10/10 as well no hesitation for this but they will still talk about their upsetness to our important allias. Demontsrations are there for every reasons for also our own administration time to time and this is not something to see as general behavior.

I happen to talk to a couple last night at restaurant happen to be Americans and after a simple question they asked we talked half an hour for almost everything, they seem happy with their visit !

Like Molker suggests, people are able to distinc the nationas and citizens in different levels.

I am also upset about the Armenian genocide issue; I do not want to go in to deep, but ready to discuss in every aspect, madallion has always two sides and objective people should allow themselves to read both sides. Turkey has not been aggressive on the issue to tell its own side of the story and probably did not market as well as others did. What has happaned in 1915 is 8 years before Turkish Republic was found. Ottoman archives are open to all interested parties to get a full picture anyway.

I am a travel professional and great believer traveling will educate people in many ways and give them a broader vision on the issues either politicaly or culturely. The more we travel we will have better understanding and sympathy to the planet we are living in.

Now lets talk about Travel:

Before coming to Turkey, do not bother to exchange your money to YTL (new Turkish Lira). You will get much better rate once you are Turkey and at Ataturk airport exchange offices of banks are plenty. ATM's are also just outside of the customs.

Trying to learn few essential Turksih words will help you won the hearts of people for better communication.

On sunday we have a referandum in Turkey, in big cities you will see more people on streets than usual so be aware of traffic issues etc.

Happy travelling,

Murat

Old Oct 19th, 2007, 08:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Murat, thank you for coming back to post again and for your reassurance that Turkey is a friendly tourist destination for Americans.

This is a website to help others with their travel plans, and we definitely benefit from the knowledge we receive from someone like you. Please continue to answer our questions about your country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -