Does Turkey welcome U.S. Travelers?

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Turkey welcome U.S. Travelers?

I want to travel to Turkey in September of 2007. Can you tell me if travlers from the US are welcomed and feel safe to travel there?
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Can't guarantee what will happen a year from now, but our son's girlfriend returned last month from 3 weeks in Turkey. She had a great time and no problems at all. Everyone she met was very friendly, and she is as American as apple pie.

I don't know whether the fact that she's blonde, pretty, and 25 had anything to do with that, but she had no bad experiences (except too much sun).
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 12:36 PM

The only Americans they refuse to admit are the ones who have to type the question, "Hello, how are you?" into their laptop and hit the Return key before they can come up with the "right" answer!
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 12:41 PM

It depends on what part of Turkey you're talking about - the part most folks go to is very safe - but in the far eastern area it's very dicey. I once took buses from India through Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran to Turkey and eastern Turkey was where so-called westerners were treated the worse - kids continually throwing stones at the 'infidels'i guess. But in western Turkey you may as well be in the EU as Turkey desperately want to and would be if only that nagging problem of ethnic cleansing of Kurds in the east didn't pop up so much.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 12:47 PM

My wife and I had fabulous 2 1/2 week trip in Turkey last month. Saw many sites, explored back roads and villages, consumed a lot of delicious food and good wine. But the one thing that stood out was the very warm hospitality and friendliness of the Turkish people, even in Istanbul.

To your other question...We had dinner one night with a Canadian couple we had met that day. I asked her what surprises she came away with so far on their trip and she said feeling safe everywhere they went.

Only bad experience is what previous poster said, sunburn on the Med in Kalkan. But I can deal with that.

You're gonna luv it.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Of the twelve countries I've travelled to, none has welcomed me move warmly than Turkey. For example, when I couldn't find my hotel, I just walked into a random travel agent to ask for directions -- he seemed HONORED that I chose his shop for help in finding the hotel, which was three blocks away. I'm not sure I'd be as warmly greeted if I asked the same at a random store in my hometown of Philly!

The usual rules for a sense of welcome apply: don't trumpet your nationality, don't bring up politics or religion into a conversation, and remember that you're NOT in Kansas anymore. When we did that, we were almost overwhelmed with welcome.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 02:01 PM

Most of the world doesn't give a toss that you are American as opposed to British / Irish / Argentinian / LGM.

They do tend to be somewhat upset at your Lords & Masters though.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 02:13 PM

I too have traveled to a dozen European countries and Turkey was my favorite. People were very friendly, sites were wonderful, food was great. You'll have a great time!
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 02:42 PM

We had a wonderful and extraordinary experience in Turkey. And to answer your question directly we felt absolutely safe. We spent four nights in Istanbul and loved it. The Turkish people we encountered in hotels, restaurants and shops were friendly and polite------oh okay, the rug dealers area bit much but it's their job!!

The extrordinary part of our Turkish adventure took place in Cappadocia where after two fabulous nights my husband became VERY sick and was eventually hospitalized and had surgery in Kayseri. He (really we since I stayed with him at the hospital) spent thirteen nights in the hospital and we could tell story after story of the wonderful Turkish people who made our ordeal so much easier. Kayseri is much more conservative than Istanbul (many/most women wear headscarves for example) but I would go out everyday by myself to the Internet cafe to send messages to family. I am a fair-haired blue eyed woman (unfortunatly not 25!!)so it was pretty clear I was not Turkish. I was always treated with kindness and courtesy---despite my lack of Turkish and lack of English on the part of most people I encountered.

After a few days of returning to the same Internet place the manager started putting me at the head of the line and would bring me tea (I had been able to convey our situation.) We developed a little routine where when I was done I would simply hold out a handful of change and he would take whatever was owed----and my guess is, if anything he undercharged me.

The most wonderful encounter was the young man who was the assistant manager of our hotel in Urgup. He accompanied us as we tried to navigate the Turkish medical system translating and advising. Once we were at the hospital he called every day to see how we were and he came to visit us twice.

I could go on and on about the kindness of the Turkish people. I certainly do not wish you or anyone else time in a hospital far from home----but I write this just to try to convey how generous and kind we found the Turkish people to be. We would, and will, return.

PS---I don't think they are crazy about our government but I don't go to other countries to discuss my government's point of view!!!
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 03:40 PM

My parents went to Istanbul for a few days about 6 months ago. They said the people were very friendly and social with them. They had a great time and felt very welcome. The only "negative" thing the Turks had to say was that they hate George Bush (if you consider that negative). They heard this over and over. However, I don't think it's a Turkish thing because my parent's are in Italy right now and they are hearing the same thing.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 04:02 PM

"The Turks" really don't have views particularly for or against Americans.

But the blunt truth about Turkey is that's it's been, over the past three years, the site of more anti-Western homicidal violence than any other country in the world exzcept Iraq.

For an abbreviated list of these attacks (it leaves out a number of murders where the Western victims weren't American), go to the site operated by your country's State Department (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1046.html)

And Westerners have been killed in these attacks because they were Wesyerners, or because they were tourists. Irrespective of whether they were pretty 25 year old women, and no matter how many friendly Turks they may have met.

Should this put you off going to Turkey? No: a quick calculation will show you fewer Westerners got murdered over those three years than get murdered in Louisville (or Washington) in any average month.

If you think you'd be better off steering clear altogether of truly unsafe places - like Washington - you might want to avoid Turkey as well. But, even with the murderers, two weeks in Turkey is statistically safer than driving to most airports.

Your safety has no correlation with how many people smile and say Hos Geldiniz. But it's downright insane to pretend that Turkey's a risk-free zone.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 04:11 PM

Add me to the list of people who think Turkey (at least the western portion of the country, where I've traveled) is one of the friendliest places to visit.

and.. what's the bit about the murder rate in Louisville? I realize we haven't had a great week (teenagers shooting each other) but I'm sure there's SOMEWHERE else that's more violent?
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 04:21 PM

Great story, Maggie. It really restores one's faith in people to read something like that.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:58 PM

<fewer Westerners got murdered over those three years than get murdered in Louisville (or Washington) in any average month>

or Glasgow for that matter.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 08:42 PM

We were in Turkey for two weeks in September, a week in Istanbul, 4 days in Foca and 3 in Urgup. We felt welcome everywhere we went. My husband did have a conversation with a man at a mosque in Istanbul who was opposed to Bush but said that no one he knew disliked the American people. We felt safe the entire trip, except during some taxi rides, especially the one from Izmir to Foca - 150 km/hr on a winding 2 lane road was way too exciting for me!
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 08:54 PM

Washington is actually pretty safe unless you're involved in the drug trade. Not perfectly safe, but very few tourists encounter difficulties, let alone get murdered.