Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

what can we do with an afternoon in Malaga?

Jun 10th, 2007, 08:01 AM
jcr
Original Poster

(I have posted this under another search topic heading but had no responses - so I'm trying again with a more literal title to my search)

We have an afternoon in August to spend in Malaga after dropping off our hired cars before a midnight flight. Another reader has helpfully told me we can (probably) leave our suitcases at Malaga station so we have the afternoon hands free! Has anyone any suggestion about where to go, what to see and and where to eat to make the most of just a few hours in Malaga? We are four adults and two fifteen year old boys.

Any ideas gratefully considered.
Jun 15th, 2007, 08:11 AM
jcr
Original Poster

Still no ideas from anyone! Perhaps there IS nothing to do in Malaga & we'd better just sit about at the airport from noon until midnight ...
Jun 15th, 2007, 08:24 AM

You can always go down to the beach and see the Mediterranean (that may be spelled totally wrong); plus, since it is August, I'm sure the weather will be nice if you wanted to lay out for a few hours.
Jun 15th, 2007, 08:27 AM

You could try to get an earlier flight
Jun 15th, 2007, 08:58 AM
jcr
Original Poster

Oh dear, that does't sound very promising - is it just the sort of place it's best to get out of as soon as possible!

The reason for chosing a midnight flight was that it was cheaper (as cheap as it gets in August) and also because it meant that we could enjoy a full day the day before on the final day of our holiday in Vejer 200 miles + away on the south coast
Jun 15th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Malaga is a great city! I spent a month there during college, however it was 8 years ago so details are rusty. The old town has a charming square with plenty of shopping and cafes, and I believe there is a Picasso Museum. Agreed that a walk along the beach could be nice too.
Jun 15th, 2007, 09:12 AM

Or you could take the local train and a half hour away in Torremolinos and another half hour further is Fuengirola, both seaside towns, so easy to visit for a short time, and as a matter of fact, on the way back from Torremolinos, the train also stops at the airport, and then on to the destination of Malaga. Would give you a little variety. Have a good time. Halfpint
Jun 15th, 2007, 09:19 AM
jcr
Original Poster

Thank you to all of you