Nerja vs. Malaga

Search

Nerja vs. Malaga

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nerja vs. Malaga

If you had to choose between Nerja and Malaga for the only brief chance of a "Costa del Sol" experience, which would you choose? Also, if you know their respective paradors, which would you choose? Keep in mind, I arrive early evening and fly out the next afternoon so when I say "brief" I mean it!

If we do Nerja (from Granada), we will have to rent a car. The quotes I am getting are very high and discouraging (around $150/day). I was looking forward to driving along the coast. Any renting tips? Also, if Nerja is your choice, is it worth delaying an afternoon flight for the evening in order to see the caves? Or are we pushing it? So hard to know when enough is enough. I am known to overplan my vacations and I'm trying to be good/considerate of my companions!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, Marian. This is just my opinion: Nerja is 'cute smallish town' - manageable to walk around, lots of restaurants, bars, pretty atmospheric. Malaga is pretty big city-ish, has some interesting sights but maybe not as walkable, or doable in short time unless you picked just one or two and did that.
No idea about their paradors. I've read on the Forum of a number of nice hotels in Nerja right on the water.
I've been to the caves and thought they were quite impressive. It isn't an all day kind of thing; it seems to me that it took us an hour or so at a leisurely pace (there's only a small part of the total area open to the public). I was there in March; I've heard there are concerts there in the summer and think the acoustics would be spectacular so if you're going to be there on a day of a concert, it would certainly be worth staying longer for. The caves were only minutes from the downtown area of Nerja. Are you flying out of Malaga? Nerja is pretty close to the airport (like maybe an hour, I think).
I've only been to Spain in March so I don't know what summertime car rental rates are like, but that is WAY high for any prices I've paid. Call AutoEurope and see what they can do for you. They've always given me good rates and will meet or beat a better rate, so shop around and keep calling them back to get them to bid against each other. Don't be shy.
Whether it's worth it to delay your flight is hard for me to say. Nerja's a pretty short drive (?an hour and a half???) from Granada, so if you could change your flight without any additional cost or transfer problems, it seems like it might be worth it.

Have fun,
gail