Ronda - Sevilla - Malaga Itinerary

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ronda - Sevilla - Malaga Itinerary

Family of 4 (2 adults, kids ages 5 and 6) going to Southern Spain in October. Would like some help on this itinerary. So far,

03 Oct: Arrive in Malaga 16:30
Drive to Ronda
04 - 05 Oct: in Ronda at Hotel EnFrente Arte
Musts: Puente Nuevo, El Tajo, La Plaza de Toros, wander/walk old city, maybe see Caves?
06 - 09 Oct: in Sevilla at holiday apartment
Musts: Alacazar, Giralda, Plaza de Espana, Maria Luisa Park, shop near Calle Sierpes, wander/walk city and near river, maybe see flamenco?
10 Oct: drive to Malaga, stay near airport
11 Oct: depart Malaga at 07:30 for US

Comments:
We are arriving in Malaga at 16:30, coming from London and connecting in Frankfurt. We are leaving from Malaga at 07:30. (Flights are booked and cannot be easily or inexpensively changed.)

Is it feasible to drive to Ronda on the first night? I'm guessing it will take an hour or 2 to get through customs and get a rental car... and then 1.5 hours to Ronda. Which route should we take to Ronda? What time does it get dark there in October? Will that make a difference in what route we take?

We have not rented a car abroad before, but thought it would be easier to transport a family of 4. We really plan to plant ourselves in each place and should not need a car when actually in Ronda, Sevilla or Malaga, but thought buses might be difficult with kids. Comments? Also, any tips on what to know about renting a car in Spain?

We choose Ronda because we wanted to stay in a smaller city/town in addition to Sevilla, and Ronda looks lovely and appears to be on the way. If the driving to Ronda on the first night sounds crazy, are there other recommendations?

Finally, any recommendations for what one thing to see or do in Malaga? and a hotel with quick taxi access to the airport?

Thanks in advance!

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:33 AM

I think it's too much to drive to Ronda the first day; plus you'll miss gibraltor!
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 08:33 AM

I do not think it would be a good idea to attempt to get to Ronda the first night. If your plane arrives at all late, or there is a delay in getting your rental car you will be getting a late start. I am not sure what time it gets dark in October but it will surely be dark by the time you arrive in Ronda. You would be very lucky to make it from the Malaga airport to Ronda in 1.5 hours. You can take the expressway ( Ithink it is called Autovia del Mediterraneo) toward Estepona and hit the Ronda road at San Pedro de Alcantara. This is a good road but it is mountainous and I would not like to drive all this way on my first night in an unfamiliar country. Now, if you have had driving experience in this part of Spain that is a different story.
By the way, with all the direct flights coming out of London to Malga are you sure you have to stop in Frankfurt?

On your lat night..there is a Hotel Ibis right near the Malaga airport.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 09:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
WE had the same problem when we went to Malaga - our flight landed at 9pm. So we decided to stay overnight in Malaga and collect the car the next day. THis was definitely the right decision, as once we had collected our car - seee below - we proceeded to get thoroughly lost in broad daylight. The signs for the main destinations north our of the city suddenly disappeared, and we found ourselves going round in ever decreasing circles, til we ended up in a little street of car repair shops! I wish i could meet the man who gave us directions out of the city, so I could buy him a large drink.
as you have more time than us after you land, why not book a hotel in central Malaga, and get a cab from the airport [it cost us E10] Malaga is a lovely and interesting town with lots of great shops, the Picasso museum, and terrific bars and restaurants.
Then in the morning, get a bus or taxi back to the airport and pick up your car. we tried to arrange hotel pick-up but failed - perhaps you will have more luck?
Malaga car hire collection is not like any other we have come across - the signs take you into an underground area [via another security check] where all the companies have their desks and there is an almighty queue for the cheapest! ones. After you have all your documents, you exit into the very badly lit garage Don't forget to check your vehicle meticulously, as they will charge you for any damage they find when you get back, whether you did it or not - so if you find any, make sure they mark it on your documents before you leave; another good reason for doing this in daylight!
Then very slowly follow the exit signs - we missed them the first time, and ended up going round the garage twice.
Bringing the car back is much easier - the drop-off is well-signposted and well-lit - surprise!
Don't let this put you off - driving in spain is pretty easy, but it will be easier if you are starting off fresh and well-rested and in the daylight. Good luck!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far. With the kids, I'm leaning toward one of two options:

(1) booking a taxi or car service to meet us at the airport and drive us to Ronda or
(2) stay overnight in Malaga or Marbella and drive up the next day.

We don't think we'll want a car in Ronda or Seville, just need a way to get to the places we want to plant ourselves for a few day. If we go carless, we'd go to Ronda by taxi, to Sevilla by bus, and to Malaga by train. Could be fun! Anyone else tried something like this before?
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 12:17 PM

I don't know anything about Malaga, but I do know for convenience it's really nice to drive between cities -- and I imagine especially so with kids. We drove from Granada to Ronda and navigated (very carefully, following meticulous directions from Hotel Enfrent'arte)through the city, where we were able to park and leave the car for three days on the road directly in front of the hotel.

But when we went from there to Sevilla we left the car at the airport outside of town and were glad we did when we discovered the tiny streets of the city -- do you know if it will be pretty easy to drive to your holiday apartment there? I would recommend doing what we did but then I don't know how you would get from Sevilla to Malaga. . .

Good luck!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:51 PM

If you do not need a car to get to Ronda, I would have a car service do the driving. Make sure, though, that you get a big enough car to take 4 passengers and luggage. . . ask for a mini-van if you can.

Taxi service or not, I would stay the night in Málaga and leave early in the morning to Ronda. If there are any delays in your flight you will have trouble getting the car, and depending on how you are paying the driver (hourly, for example), the wait will cost you money.

2 completely extraneous destinations have been mentioned in this thread: Gibraltar and Marbella. Gibraltar is completely out of your way, so aside from the fact that I do not like it at all to visit, there is no time for you to do so. Marbella is the same. It is further from the airport than Málaga and why go out of your way for a city that you will sleep in and then leave the next morning? Especially one as disagreeable as Marbella.

The train from Sevilla to Málaga is a good option, and you arrive right in the city (around the corner from the bus station). You can either stay there (tons of hotels around) or try to get closer to the airport. A cab to the airport from downtown, though, costs around 20€ and takes about as many minutes, especially at 5 a.m. You can call ahead the night before and request the pick up time. The hotel will do it for you if you ask the help desk.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:25 PM

I like your idea of spending a night (or two) in Marbella--it is a lovely place.

We recently stayed at El Fuerte in a room with a great view of the sea. In front of the hotel is a "boardwalk" along the sea that is so long we never reached the end of it. A short walk away is the colorful old part of the city, and a short drive is Puerta Banus--home of a huge yacht basis.

Ronda is about a two hour drive from Marbella.

Suggestion: Marbella (3, 4), Ronda (5, 6), Seville (7, 8, 9). While in the Ronda-Seville area, you would do well to visit Arcos, Jerez, and Sanlucar--all very doable during your stay.

Happy trails to you.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:27 PM

PS I forgot to mention that while we were in Marbella, we visited Gibraltar. I don't regret having seen Gibraltar, but I do not recommend it as a place to spend any of your precious time during your stary.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Just to clarify, we have decided that our Spain cities will be Ronda (2 or 3 nights), Sevilla (4 nights) and Malaga (last night). The main question is how to get to Ronda, and if we should stay in Malaga on our arrival night or just press onward get to Ronda in one travel day. We want to do a city/walking/hanging out vacation and not a beach vacation. We live in the US and will have had some beach time in the summer.

More comments are welcome! Thanks.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:05 PM

Arrive Málaga at 16'30. Let's assume you are out of the airport by 18h. Have a rental waiting for you and press one to Ronda. You will be there for a few days and driving in that area is really nice, so you will enjoy the car.

Drive on the Sevilla and return the car. Spend your days there, then train or bus it back to Málaga (both are extremely convenient) and spend a few days. Have your concierge book you a large (monovolumen means mini van) cab for your 7'30 flight. You will be picked up around 5 and it will cost around 20€ without the luggage fees (the monovolumen might be more expensive. . . I have only ever used sedans).

Fly back to London, sad to leave but excited to return.

Claire
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 03:21 AM

Have you bought your air tix yet? It might be possible to fly directly into Seville (SVQ, BA offers service from LHR) and start there. You don't need - or want - a car in Seville. You can book an open jaw ticket and fly into Seville, back home from Malaga.

If you fly into Seville, then after spending time there, pick up your rental car for a 1-way rental for 3 days. Drive to Ronda (slowly, wandering through Zahara and Grazelema - beautiful!)

Spend 3 n in Ronda, then the last night in Malaga as planned.

If you can't change your air tix, then overnight in Malaga your first night, for all the reasons others have already given (plane could be late, you will have 2 tired kids with you.) The next day, bus into Seville (3 nights) - it's about a 3 hour journey on a modern, air-conditioned bus. Or as Laclaire points out, train would also work.

After enjoying Seville, pick up car and drive to Ronda for 2 nights, then drive back to Malaga airport.

Drop off will be Malaga airport when you arrive in Malaga - you can get a cab into town for your last night at your Malaga hotel. Also, as laclaire points out, you can book a car service to get you to the airport the next morning from your hotel, which will avoid hassles of car dropoff just before a flight, not to mention the hassles of driving in Malaga, which is a busy place.)

This keeps your driving around Ronda when you are fresh and rested - the road from Ronda to San Pedro, for example, is lovely but a real rally drive of turns and curves.

Bon voyage!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 07:11 AM

You should definitely rent a car (we use Auto Europe and get a great rate by paying a refundable fee in advance).

You should stay some place other than Ronda the first night. I suggested Marbella, but in the USA you vacation at a place much like Marbella. Where is it, I want to go?

I think three nights in Ronda is too many and, if my goal were to "hang out" I would go to Nerja--not Seville.

If you want to take buses, Malaga is the only town in the region with a printed bus schedule. At other towns you have to go to the bus station to find out when busses leave and to buy tickets. In most instances you cannot buy bus tickets in advance. Resist the temptation to buy bus tickets on line--they sometimes are not honored at the bus station.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 07:51 AM

http://www.autosol.es/autosol/
http://www.andalucia.com/travel/airports/malagataxi.htm

The above two websites provide some information on private car servcie from the Malaga airport to Ronda. I know you posted elsewhere but am hoping one of these two responses will get to you.

I hope you can open the links. As I have said I am no good at adding these links.