travel from airport to center of rome

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
travel from airport to center of rome

Does anyone have a suggestion for how best to get from Fiumicino to Centro Historico ? The cabs are awfully expensive, so I wondered if anyone knows of a different way to do it ... ? THANK YOU !
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:35 PM

Which hotel did you end up booking?

The basic cheap method is to take the train from FCO to Termini, and then take either the metro or bus to your hotel. It's pretty easy if you aren't overloaded with luggage.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

nuovo hotel quattro fontane is the name of our hotel - i believe it's near the trevi fountain ...
is the train/bus easy to find at the airport ? thanks !
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:47 PM

I haven't done this from FCO, as I didn't use that airport, but I think the train is easy to find based on people's posts here.

The nearest metro stop to your hotel is Barberini. I know the part from Termini to Barberini by metro is easy enough, as I've done it, although the metro is crowded. And you'll have only a short walk once you step out of the Barberini metro station.

However, I think people have posted the cab fare is only 10 Euros from Termini to that hotel, so if there are two of you, it might be worth it.

Just make sure to buy your metro ticket at Termini.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Eli

I have used the van service from http://www.airportconnection.it/ShuttleServicetesto.htm

It makes sense if you are at least 2 persons, as the price remains 30 euro.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:55 AM
ira

Hi ad,

The train from FCO to Roma TE is the Leonardo da Vinci Express. The trains leave on the :07 and :37, take 0:30 hr and cost 9.5 E.

The route from leaving Customs to the train station is clearly marked. You buy your ticket at the station.

As noted you want the Barberini metro stop.

Here is a metro map.
http://www.atac.roma.it/

Old May 8th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

THANKS, EVERYBODY !!! I feel better already - it is only me going from the airport to the hotel, meeting friends there who get in earlier in the day ... I usually get lazy and opt for a taxi but I'm feeling a bit adventurous and haven't taken public transportation in Rome in forever (still have vivid memories of all the pinching that goes on !)
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:34 AM

Some hotels will set up the shuttle service for you. I paid the hotel for the shuttle and they made the reservation. It was 12 Euro. There are other shuttle services that have counters at the airport, but they were more than 12 Euro. So, check with your hotel.
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:39 AM

Maybe it was 14 euro, but still much cheaper than a cab. I took the train back to the airport and it was just under 10 Euro from Termini. I took the metro to Termini (about 1 Euro). ONce at the Termini, it is a long walk to or from the track that the airport express uses. Not sure if this is an issue for you. Personally, it was worth the extra money to take a shuttle and get dropped off at the door of the hotel.
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:44 AM
ira

Hi cls,

12-14E is a great price for a shuttle.

Do you recall the name of the company?

Old May 10th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Hi cls,

Thanks for the suggestion to talk to the hotel - great idea ! I will do that !

Ciao !
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Hi - this is the information I got from the Hotel Julia about getting there from the airport. It doesn't give the name of the shuttle service, but I did go to the "Hotel Reservation" desk at FCO. They gave me a voucher and I paid at the hotel. Here's the info:

To reach our hotel from the airport , you can :
1) book by us the shuttle service of our association "Hotel Reservation"
(only from Fiumicino Airport) at the cost of € 12,00 per person which
bring you directly at the Hotel. The shuttle bus leaves every 30 minutes
and the ticket can be bought at the desk of Hotel Reservation located in
Arrival Terminal.
2) get a taxi at the approximate cost of € 42,00/52,00.
3) get the train (only from Fiumicino Airport) to main railway station
"Termini" at the cost of € 10/per person , then from Termini a taxi at the
cost of € 5/10 or the Metro (underground line "A") to "Barberini" stop.
(The hotel is about 3 minutes walking).
4) book by us a pick-up service at the cost of € 50,00. (The taxi driver
will wait for you with a sign-board at the exit of Dogana).
Old May 11th, 2005, 04:48 PM

adoreroma: The shuttle service that the 'Hotel Reservation' desk at FCO uses is now 25e for a single passenger.
www.hotelreservation.it
www.shuttleservice.it
2-3yrs ago it was 10.5e which was a great deal for single traveler but now at that price the train and a taxi is the better and cheaper option.
Regards, Walter
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:19 PM

Just a quick clarification - I paid 12 euro for the shuttle in April 2005. I had to book it through the hotel (Hotel Julia) to get that price and paid at the hotel. I am not sure what the walk-up price is, but they may have a website. I guess I got a good deal! Hope this helps!
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

This is ALL very helpful - thank you so much !!!

Leaving soon and so excited !

Tracy
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:51 PM

Q to CLS2PARIS:

How was your stay at the Julia hotel? We stayed there about 4 years ago and it was fine. Wanted to know if it's still worth using.

Old May 15th, 2005, 10:08 PM

I only know a little about the buses in Rome, what little I do know, they seemed okay. BUT...I'd NEVER take the METRO again. What a disgusting and disappointing experience. The sardine like ride and the fact that one of our group was pickpocketed did not rate highly w/ us. The Rome Metro was smelly, filthy, and needed some air intake, definitely a visceral experience! And I still liked Rome itself, just NOT its metro. Now London and Paris, totally different experience w/ those metros. I'd recommend them easily.

Here's the shuttle we used for our trip to Ciampino, but I'm sure they go to Fiumcino too. They were great.

[email protected]

Andrea is the contact person for this company. I got the recommendation off this board last August and we used the service last September. Thanks guys!
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:31 AM

sssteve - The hotel was fine. I was there for one night. I had a single economical - single bed, television, and sink/toilet. The shower was down the hall. The room was as wide as the single bed and door. The front desk staff were very helpful and the breakfast was plentiful. I had e-mail contact several times before arriving, and they were always prompt in replying. I would stay there again. It was $90 (75 euro) for the room. It was an easy walk to the Metro (a little harder pulling a suitcase, but manageable) and about 5 min walk to Trevi.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:33 AM

ELI - the shuttle you recommended, I went on their webiste and saw a time frame of 7 to 19:00 hours will they pick up at 8:30 or 9:00 p.m.?