Transport options from Paris CDG to Hotel in Latin Quarter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like to know what my options are for getting to my hotel near the Latin Quarter of Paris. The nearest metro stop by my hotel is Censier Daubenton. The hotel is on rue Pascal just off Rue Claude Bernard. I am fine with taking the train to the metro as long as there are not a number of stairways involved. I am traveling alone and not capable of carrying a heavy suitcase up a steep flight of stairs. If the train and metro stations have elevators or escalators, I am fine with that. I'm thinking that that would be the least expensive option. Or, if there is a shared van service, does anyone know what the cost of that is? Or, is there another option - other than an expensive taxi??? Thanks!
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 12:11 PM

RER B to Luxembourg. Bus 57 to Monge-Claude Bernard. Luxembourg is very easy to exit.

- OR -

Roissybus to Opéra. Bus N°27 to Monge-Claude Bernard. Entire trip at ground level.

See my bus guide for further insight:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...nte-b-cest.cfm
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 04:51 AM

There are shared van services from CDG to Paris. Look up in a search engine like Google, "Paris airport shuttle service" or similar inquiry. It should produce a series of companies that offer a shared van. They will drop you and your baggage right at your hotel.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 05:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
RER B to Saint Michel-Notre Dame will take about 35 minutes for 8.40€. The Place Saint Michel exit has escalators except for the very last flight of steps up to the surface.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 07:05 AM

Another option:

Take RER from CDG to Gare du Nord. Get off and walk outside to taxi stand and take a taxi to your hotel. No steps involved. Taxi will be about 12 euros. Total cost about 20 euros.

A taxi to your hotel from CDG will be about 60 euros. Totally worth it, in my opinion, especially if you are tired and want to get right to your hotel.

Thin
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 11:55 AM

I am not familiar with that particular metro station, but even at a station with elevators and escalators, the particular exit you want to use may be accessible by stairs only. Also, anything mechanical can be out of order in which case are you comfortable asking a stranger to help you, and can you tell a helpful stranger from a pickpocket?
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
What a wonderful attitude -- expect things to be broken and all strangers to be crooks. You must have a good time when you travel.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

I would really like to keep the trip from CDG to my hotel as inexpensive as possible. I'm thinking that I can take RER to Les Halles and the Metro from there. The nearest Metro stations to my hotel are Censier Daubenton (500 meters), Gobelins (300 meters) and Corvisart (1000 meters). I am wondering if anyone out there knows if any or all of these stations have escalators or elevators (lifts) to the street. Thanks again to all of you for your help and advice.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:03 PM

What airline are you flying? Air France has an airport shuttle that goes straight from the airport to the center of Paris.

Another shuttle option is offered ( I think) by ParisShuttle.com. We did a private transfer a few weeks ago from CDG to our hotel in the Latin Quarter, but I'm pretty sure that they also have a shuttle.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:16 PM

Take Robespierre's advice on going to Luxembourg and then the bus.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM

The connection to line 7 at Chatelet from RER B involves a bit of a hike. It certainly is doable, but switching to to a bus at Luxembourg as Robespierre suggested, or at St. Michel will ultimately get you closer to your hotel.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 08:59 PM

Is Arielle traveling with a heavy suitcase in a bus during a rush hour?
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:28 AM

<b> kerouac </b> ... does the place saint michel exit have a taxi stand nearby? we'll be doing that same route this fall...

tks!!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:53 AM

<blue>Arielle on Apr 22, 09 at 07:00 PM

I would really like to keep the trip from CDG to my hotel as <B>inexpensive as possible</B>.</font>

Then take RATP Bus N&deg;350 from CDG to Gare de l'Est, then the 47 to Monge-Claude Bernard. Cost: three bus tickets.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 09:54 AM

I've stayed in that area several times, including last Fall when I rented an apt on rue Mouffetard. Censier is a pretty easy metro station, but there are always several layers of stairs in any of them. I think it does have an escalator at one point for a short distance, but I might be remembering wrong. Why would you go to Censier if Gobelins is closer? They're on the same line, I wouldn't expect them to be any different in services. Gobelins has a taxi stand in front of it, but no taxi will take you a few blocks and people wait hours at that stand and taxis don't show up, so I'd forget that idea. Well, I've seen people waiting there at least one hour, I know because I was doing errands in the neighborhood and they were still there. None of those stations have elevators, that is very rare in stations that are not RER (although there are a few on line 14 and elsewhere, but those you named don't have elevators).

Actually, I think the bus that goes down rue Claude Bernard gets you the closest and isn't a bad idea as you can take the RER to Luxembourg and its stop is very nearby. However, having taken that bus quite a bit, do not assume there will be space on it at all times for you with luggage (true of almost any bus, they can get very crowded at times), and it doesn't run frequently at night nor after a certain time, as I recall.

I really think a shared van service is your best bet, but if you want the cheapest, you can try the bus. YOu really must pack lightly if you intend to take a suitcase onto the bus. I think if you want to carry a heavy suitcase, you should pay for a van, as you are definitely going to have to be carrying it at some point if you try public transportation. Even at Luxembourg, I don't think there are escalators the entire way, there usually are not (often it's just the last segment).
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 01:36 PM

There's a taxi stand in front of the Depart St Michel cafe on the Place... it will be to your
left as you come up from one of the exits...
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 06:11 PM

Bus N&deg;27 from Luxembourg to Monge schedule:

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_hora...&loc=bus_paris