CDG to Paris by taxi questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read many posts & long ago decided that a taxi is the way to go. However, I now realize there are no fixed rates with taxis & it could end up costing much more than what people have posted here. I thought the driver would quote me a rate based on hotel address, luggage, etc. But Fodor's Paris 2006 says to stay away from taxis at CDG 'cause if you're held up in traffic it could take an hour to reach your hotel, which would cost a chunk o'change. I think I must be missing something here. Since so many people here swear by the taxi method, could you please enlighten me as to how one avoids being charged significantly more than about 55 Euros?
Thank you.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 02:43 PM

The only possible tip is: make sure there's not an accident on the periferique that morning, and you've got no control over it, so don't worry about it.

I take taxis between Paris and CDG several times a year - have for decades - and I've only one single time ever gotten into a real major traffic jam. The driver turned off the meter when it hit 60 euro.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 02:50 PM

We've always taken taxis from CDG to our hotels in the 6th. And there is no fixed rate , they are metered just like taxis in NYC, Boston,London and just about every city you could name. We've only once encountered a serious delay and we had the same experience as St Cirq..the man turned off the meter until we were moving again!

If you want a set price take the RER and then climb the stairs , walk to your hotel dragging your bags, or find a taxi to take you the rest of the way.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 03:11 PM

The only question in your post is "...could you please enlighten me as to how one avoids being charged significantly more than about 55 Euros?"

So I'll answer that: The only way to be absolutely certain is to take a fixed-rate mode, such as RER, Roissybus, Air France bus, or shuttle.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 06:05 PM

We are arriving at CDG this Monday and will be taking a taxi into Paris. About what should it cost ? Extra for luggage ? Tip a percentage or what ?
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 07:52 PM

Cost varies, probably around 50€. Pay what's on the meter plus a euro per bag. Tipping is optional. Make sure it is a Taxi Parisien, not a gypsy cab. Have the address written down to show to the driver.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:34 AM
ira

Hi G,

Have you considered a shuttle - about 18E pp.

See www.beeshuttle.com, www.bluvan.fr, www.parishuttle.com.

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, ira. Having read your posts for the past 4 or 5 months, in silence, I've already benefitted from your advice in countless ways. Just yesterday I ordered a Mobal phone, based on something you said to someone a while back. So now I WILL look into the shuttle situation. Thanks so much.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:36 AM

If you are only one person travelling then a shuttle is definitely the best way door to door. But if two or more, a taxi is pretty close to the same and convenient.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:06 AM

I've always taken a taxi from CDG into Paris for the last five years at least, I just got tired of the other stuff and decided it wasn't worth the savings to me.

However, there is no way to guarantee the fare because they are metered taxis. I've never had the meter be more then 50 euro, and I've been in a few traffic jams, but none that lasted hours, of course. If you want a fare guarantee, you should choose other methods, like the group shuttle vans which do have fixed fares.

There are no tricks possible, the meter is what it is, based on distance, time, and the time of day (higher at night).
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:13 AM

A cab in Paris is just like a cab anywhere else -- The way to avoid being overcharged is to be lucky enough to land at CDG when rush hour isn't just starting or ending. If you fly in on a weekend or midday, like any big city, traffic is generally fine. It would also depend on where you're staying.

We've stayed in the 7th, and had 3 or 4 of us to split a cab, so our $48 Euro fee was easily divided and was cheaper and more convenient than a shuttle.

If you are landing at 9 a.m. or 5 p.m. or somewhere thereabouts, I'd just suck it up and take the RER train to avoid the worst-case scenario of being stuck in traffic with the ticker going by.

Happy travels,

Jules
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 10:27 AM

I also have questions about the transportation form CDG to Paris in late June. The problem is..there are 5 of us. What should we do??
Alos IRA, what is the mobile phone you helped with? I'm looking into that too.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Chances are quite good that with a small wait you will find a taxi/van to accomodate you. There will be a small extra charge for the 4th and 5th passengers.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:28 PM

trishready:
www.mobalrental.com
You can buy simple GSM phone for $49 and just pay the per-minute charge for calls... get it unlocked if you want to replace the SIM with a local SIM for cheaper rates.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 01:40 PM

bookmarking
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Thank you Travelnut!
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:44 PM

bumping to top