Best Way to get from CDG to Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2004, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 20 year old brother and his girlfriend are arriving at CDG in a couple of weeks. They have never been to Paris before. They are staying at the Hotel Saint Thomas d'Aquinas in the 7th arr. Does anyone have any suggestions on what is the easiest (and not too expensive) way to get to the hotel? Is a shuttle okay? Or, the Metro? Too difficult?
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 02:15 AM

I just typed 'hotel saint thomas paris' in Google and on the first page I got, I already found the desired info:

Train RER B (that's just the one going from CDG to the centre) to "Saint-Michel" then metro (line 4, direction Porte d'Orleans) to the "St-Germain-des-Pres" station (2 stops).

So it's just changing once from RER to metro in the Saint-Michel station. Shouldn't be too hard!
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 03:21 AM

i've also stayed in the 7th and used the RER from CDG, more or less as stardust described. i know it's not the norm, but on the occassion we used it, it took forever and was painfully crowded. we arrived at about 8am to CDG, so by the time we got half way into the city we met with peak passenger traffic. Sardines! And to top it all there was a loony in our carriage making things very tense. We think the next time we travel we might blow the expense and try the hotel shuttle. We only travelled from Dublin, but we were up at about 5am for the 7am flight .... it was almost 1pm by the time we got to our hotel ... we were shattered to say the least! But then it's all part of the adventure isn't it.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 03:37 AM

Please tell them to go to the taxi queue and take a Taxi Parisien. It will cost about 45€ and they will not have to worry about changes, getting luggage through turnstiles, getting on the right crowded train, etc. A shuttle from CDG to their hotel might cost 20€ each so there is little difference. They can arrive, be relaxed on the way to the hotel, take in some of the long views of the city and then have their day in front of them with much less stress. It will be money well spent. For the return to CDG maybe they will feel all seasoned and try the RER--but it is NOT the easiest thing in the world to negotiate.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 03:51 AM

I agree with Gretchen that taking the RER and métro is probably not the best choice for a jet-lagged first-time visitor to Paris. However, the Air France bus is only about 10€ each, not 20€. Take the bus to the Gare Montparnasse and then a taxi to the hotel, if cost is a consideration.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 04:27 AM

On the other hand, if they don't want to do a taxi, which would turn out to be about, lets round up ...25e's per person; they could take the Roissy or Airfrance Buses to the bus' first stops, at a cost of about 10e's per person, and THEN a cab ride to their hotel, probably then 4'es per person. The Airfrance bus's first stop is, I think, The Galleries Lafayette...they could then simply walk! Its a ways but its infinately doable. Or they could try one of the group shuttles.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 04:28 AM

It's the shuttle that is about 20€. so the AF bus would be a bit of a saving at probably 30€ total for 2.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 04:33 AM

First time, I would definatly not take the train. Check for a van drop off service that will take you to your hotel,or splurge for a taxi. This is one expense that is definatly worth it.
You can walk or take the metro the rest of the vacation.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 06:56 AM
ira

Hi S,

Twenty-year olds are supposed to take the trains and buses. It's part of the joy of being young.

I didn't ake a cab or shuttle until I was in my late 50's.

See www.parishuttle.com or
www.beeshuttle.com
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 07:32 AM

Easiest: Taxi

Is a shuttle okay: Yes

Not too difficult: REF/Metro

Not too expensive: Depends on what you consider expensive. For most 20 year olds, a taxi (40-50E with tip) might be too expensive.

Packing light and taking the REF/metro isn't too demanding, especially for young folks. It might also motive them to learn about the transport system prior to arrival.

Old Sep 9th, 2004, 09:50 AM

I'd also say a shuttle is probably fine. I"ve stayed at that hotel, and it really depends on luggage, but it's not that close to a metro stop (about five blocks). that's another reason I wouldn't do the RER/metro, as well as being perhaps a bit complicated right off the bat. If they only had a backpack and didn't mind walking five blocks, it would be okay.

I think the AF bus plus taxi may be more trouble than it's worth, but is a possibility. Savings wouldn't be much in comparison to just a taxi the entire way, but a bit if one is lucky. (AF doesn't have a bus stop called Galeries Lafayette, not sure what that is a reference to.) AF bus is more like 11-12 euro to MOntparnasse, then a taxi to the hotel would be another 10 euro or so.