Orly and CDG question.

Search

Orly and CDG question.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orly and CDG question.

I am flying into Orly, and from all the threads I have read so far, I would like to confirm something from all the experienced travelers. I am arriving into Orly (not during rush hour). From all the posts I have read, some have advised that for two people it is cheaper to catch a cab then to book a shuttle. My wife and I are staying in the Latin Quarter and the hotel is supposed to be near the following metro stations (Jussieu or Cardinal Lemoine).
On the way back we are flying back from CDG.
1) Would it be cheaper to catch a cab or to take a shuttle from Orly?
2) On the way back should I catch a cab or shuttle for CDG?
3) Or is there a cheaper and reasonably convenient alternative, maybe RER on the way back or....
4) Is beeshuttle and parishuttle both comparable and should I book the shuttle on that way back from Paris, or before I leave.
5) Given that I am staying in the Latin Quarter near the following stations (Jussieu or Cardinal Lemoine) how would you do it.
I have checked out Rick Steves guide, Top 10 and Lonely Planet, I just want to hear what people have to say.

Thanks again, and apologize for the many questions.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:55 AM

Whether or not it is actually "cheaper" to take a taxi than a shuttle from the airport may depend on a couple of things:
the idea that two people can travel more cheaply in a taxi than in a shuttle...if these two people are in the same family I'm nost sure what the "savings" were...and the price of the taxi may depend on the amount of time spent..if it does and you get caught in traffic....

shuttles usually take longer because they generally pick up several travelers and they may go to various other hotels before they get to yours...is it worth the "savings" to you???

Some swear by the AirFrance bus services; others like the RER....if you want the probable fastest trip and are willing to pay for it then I would take a cab.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 06:18 AM

The RER is the fastest and cheapest way for two people to get back and forth from the Paris airports.

The cheapest rail trip to the neighborhood of your hotel is the RER C, which you access via a shuttle to Pont de Rungis-Aéroport d'Orly. Orly is also served by RER B, but there's an extra toll on that route.

The C train goes to Gare d'Austerlitz, where you can transfer to Métro Ligne 10, which serves your two stations.

CDG is on RER B, which stops at Saint-Michel Notre-Dame, is also on Ligne 10.

You didn't say how long you were going to be in Paris, but there are three transport passes that include CDG, and two that also include ORY. Which one you should choose depends on the length of your stay. Here is the index to all of the airport services via RATP:

<b>http://www.ratp.info/orienter/aeroports.php</b>
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:29 AM

I always take the RER. It is the best/cheapest. I have tried other methods &amp; even w/a young child I'll still choose the Metro.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 01:24 PM

go to www.ratp.fr .You'll have a printable metromap of paris , if you fill the directions request with&quot;orly sud&quot;(Iguess it's going to be your starting point , otherwise it'll be &quot;orly ouest&quot;, the next door terminal , and put in your arriving point as being &quot;jussieu&quot; or &quot;cardinal lemoine&quot; , you'll see it's a 48 to 55 minutes from one point to another , so with suitcases and no experience , let's make it an hour and 15 minutes , which is reaalllyy good for Paris , no matter what time it is!
From Orly take the ORLYVAL inside the terminal , switch at ANTONY (last and only stop) , take any train going North to Charles de Gaulle or Paris , make sure it stops at SAINT MICHEL (you'll see it right above your head , there's a lightened yellow square next to every station the next train is going to stop at , switch then from RER B you were on to metro line 10 , the station ST michel is suppose to become Cluny la Sorbonne , it's all underground anyway , and jump into the last metro to Jussieu or Cardinal Lemoine.
This way will be more expensive then the RER C Robespierre recommended , but I like it better then the shuttle bus you'll first have to take to RER C , and ORLYVAL and RER B are known as the easiest and most convenient and popular way to go from the city to Orly for us , the Parisiens!
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Well, yeah. The RATP aren't going to route you the CHEAPEST way, are they?

Besides, I think the connection at Gare d'Austerlitz is about one-FOURTH of the walking distance at St-Michel.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:07 PM

We are going to use Parishuttle again next month from CDG. I thought about trying the RER but the thought of dragging the bags and being totally exhaused...I'd rather pay for the shuttle (38E for the two of us one way), and if it takes a little longer, I'll just consider it a bit of a sightseeing tour!
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:29 AM

Okay, but remember that you can always take the RER to town and hire a taxi from there. Yes, it's one more luggage transfer, but it's also much cheaper than a taxi or shuttle all the way.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:53 AM

We have flown and driven in and out of both airports, and stay near the Cluny in the 5th so I am familiar with your location. It is quite a bit cheaper to take a taxi from Orly to your hotel than if you were taking a taxi from CDG, possibly half the price. If you don't have much luggage and you don't have to make alot of metro changes the RER to CDG is the cheapest but also consider the Paris Shuttle, for my trip last November it was 23 euro, probably less per person for a couple, because my hotel was in the fifth on this trip I was the last pick up so it was a very easy ride without much time in the shuttle. I would recommend Paris Shuttle at www.shuttle-airport.com Have a great trip. Deborah
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, for all the responses.
You guys are the best!
K
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:38 AM

I have read also that Bus 89 pass by Cardinal Lemoine and goes all the way to CDC.Is anyone familiar with this route?I usually take the taxi , i found it more convenient and dont mind to pay the price.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:38 AM

typing error..CDG..
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:21 AM

All of the RATP airport services are shown at

<b>http://www.ratp.info/orienter/aeroports.php</b>

The 89 bus never gets north of the river.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Thanks Robespierre..Pehaps I misread the info. I was looking at the info. reguarding Hotel Grandes Ecole and the best way to go around Paris..and I saw bus 89 just under the caption of the airport..Took it for granted that the Bus was going there also..
Merci bien mon ami..

RER (Express Metro) Port-Royal, Luxembourg

Direct Airports connection

BUS : 89
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 08:10 AM

Oh, I get it. They mean &quot;take the 89 to Luxembourg RER station.&quot;