Train Transportation Munich

Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train Transportation Munich

My daughter and I arrive in Munich for a river cruise that departs from Vilshofen, Germany.

We plan to take the train from the Munich airport and purchase a Bayern ticket since it is the most economical. This is the only train journey for this trip.

When I check schedules from the airport I get a message about possible rescrictions for travel due to COVID-19.

Does anyone have any specific restriction information about this journey. Or has anyone made this trip and can let me know any pointers.

All information I Google seems to be several years old.

Thanks
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 06:18 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Take a look at this link. The part that will probably apply to your train journey is here. If still concerned, you might contact DBB to ask about that specific journey.

Since September 2, the requirement to wear an FFP2 mask has been lifted; the new standard is the so-called "surgical mask". This is how the mask obligation will work in the future:

https://www.muenchen.de/int/en/event...gulations.html

Last edited by Melnq8; Sep 22nd, 2021 at 06:21 AM.
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 03:08 PM

Hi all, when I look at trips between Munich Airport and Munich Hbf, and then click on the details link I also see a message mentioning the FFP2 masks (so it clearly hasn't been updated yet) but that is the only message I see, the rest of that message is about taking bikes on board. Other modes of transport (bus, s-bahn) don't have that message in their details. If I look at the same thing on the German site it says there is a mask obligation according to legal requirements and that the FFP2 mask is recommended.

It would not hurt to have an FFP2 mask packed in your luggage for emergencies, as it might well be a pain to source some when on the road, if things are unpredictable. It won't cost much and will pack away easily. There may well be other opportunities or reasons to have a mask on your journey and it might as well be the best mask possible.

Lavandula
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

The cruise requires these types of masks. The US and China have KN95 or K95 masks which I have read is equal or the European FFP2 which are used in the EU.

I am very glad you clarified the meaning of the restrictions. I kept thinking they referred to the routes.

If you have the time, either of you, would you please look at the journey from Munchen Flughafen to Vilshofen. I am understanding that it includes one stop in Landshut (sp?).

what I was saying about outdated information I was able to Google is that it is better to take a bus from the airport to Freisling and continue on with the train. But I am understanding from the current schedule is a train can be taken directly from the from the airport.

Thank you very much
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 04:11 PM

I just checked your trip. I took a Wednesday, 10am because I don't know when you will be travelling. All three journeys that turned up on the page were via Landshut, with 14 minutes transfer time at Landshut. I would take the train. 14 minutes is usually very generous. If you have never caught the train in Germany before, you can find out in advance which platform (track) the train arrives at and where the next train leaves from, so you can be prepared. The trains I looked at were regional trains and you get in on the same platform that you leave from, platform (Gleis) 5 in Landshut. You should absolutely check this for yourself close to the time, details like this can change.

Hope that helps!

Lavandula
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank You. This information has helped a lot.
As many times as I have been in Europe, we almost never take a train. We usually rent a car.

Old Sep 24th, 2021, 02:07 PM

You're most welcome. Even the regional trains (while not luxurious) are good in Germany. Enjoy your trip!

Lavandula
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi lavandula. Well. We decided to pay the 2€ up charge for the agent at MUC. She was very helpful when we purchased our ticket (Bayern).
We bought a fist class ticket not understanding we would only be using a RE train. I had read somewhere the higher class might make it easier to find a seat. But of course I now realize the RE trains are all one class. DUH!,
Everyone in the airport was especially helpful.
I was too chicken to try the ticket machine for the purchase and felt the extra paid the agent was really money spent well.

The trip was so easy. Thank you again for walking me through it.
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 03:02 PM

Yes, EUR2 is not a big investment for that little extra reassurance. I am sorry about the first class thing, you live and learn. The ticket machines all have English, you usually just press the flag to change the language, although it does vary a bit from area to area (every state and urban area has its own local transport company and arrangements).

I am glad you have had a smooth beginning to your cruise. I hope you both have a lovely time!

Lavandula
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 10:10 PM

Hi Sher & lavandula,

Actually, some of the regional trains do have a first class section. I live south of Munich, and when I buy first class tickets for a trip, say to Paris or Switzerland, the first part of the trip is on the regional train, in first class. Maybe not all of them do, but between Innsbruck & Munich, they do.

However, that first class "section" is very small, just a few rows of seats, with hardly enough room for 4 passengers with luggage. I've decided to sit in second class sometimes when there is more room!

Have fun as you travel!

s
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 01:41 PM

I suppose there would be no point in having first class tickets for sale if they could not be used. I have certainly seen first class on regional trains in other parts of Germany (I know the Rhein-Main area and its trains best). Thanks for letting us know, Swandav!

Lavandula
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

I just want to say that as in all things there is a different level of customer service depending on who waits on you.

Speaking with other people on the cruise, we really were lucky in the agent we got at MUC. Other passengers were not given the same detailed information in Munich at the train station and they said they were not sure of the direction to take.
our agent gave us direction of Regensberg for the first train and Passat, the second.

Very thankful especially after a transatlantic flight