Transportation Munich Airport to Munich Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings! I will be in Munich in September for Oktoberfest. I?ll be staying at the Le Meridien Munich (between Bayerstrasse & Goethestrasse) ? I believe not too far from the Hauptbanhof Munchen. I will not have a car. Can anyone offer the easiest way to get to the hotel from Munich Airport ? via train , bus or taxi? Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 07:19 AM

The easiest and quickest way is by taxi. The cheapest way is train or bus.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Intrepid

I agree..stayed there in May this year. The hotel is directly across the Bayerstrasse street side of the main station and you can't miss it..if you come in by train, exit to the right hand side (as you face the front)of the station.
A taxi will cost you between 40-50 Euros depending upon traffic conditions and in May the driver was going 120 MPH on the autobahn and it cost 46E.
You can also take the S-Bahn (line S8 is probably the best choice) from the airport to the Hauptbahnhof..cheaper than a taxi but takes possibly longer (45 minutes). Hope this helps and enjoy Munich

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your help!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 08:02 AM
GAC

I would recommend taking the Lufthansa Bus (anyone can take it, even if not flying on LH), which leaves from directly outside the airport terminal every 20 minutes, and costs Euro 9.00 per person. Travel time is 45 minutes.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 08:07 AM

We took the train from the airport and found it very easy to use and convenient -even with luggage.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:36 AM

I have used the S bahn train, the Lufthansa bus plus U bahn, Lufthansa bus plus taxi.
My choice for where I go in Munich is the Lufthansa bus and then taxi or Ubahn depending on how robust I fee.

The bus does provide the choice of calling ahead for a taxi to meet you at the bus stop.

We were headed for cenral Schwabing and got off the bus at the Nordfriedhof stop. Taking a taxi from there was easy.

The Lufthansa bus plus taxi was the easiest way I have done it in terms of cost effectiveness. And I will do it that way again in a few days.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:16 AM

Take the train. We did it last year, and I agree with luggage it was no problem, even with the Mrs' kitchen sink. Taxi will cost you in excess of 50 euro plus tip.

Additionally, buy the family pass. It was cheaper just for the two of us, and it included unlimited U/S-bahn for the entire day throughout Munich. It was a deal. There is an information booth right before you go down the escallator, and they even speak a little English.

You can take either the S-1 or S-8 -- they both go to the Hauptbanhof. Push comes to shove, you can take a taxi from there.

Make sure you visit the Augustiner Keller beer garden, near the Hauptbanhof. I consider it the best been in Munich, but there is really no bad beer in Munich. Have a great time!!!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:44 AM

I second the suggestion to take the Lufthansa bus. It is very nice and a quick, cheap way to get to the Hauptbanhof. Once there, taxis are readily available for a short ride to your hotel.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Peep

A taxi really isn't any faster than the S-bahn and costs a lot more! IMO the only benefit of a taxi is door to door service, which is handy if you have a lot of luggage, otherwise the S-bahn is great.

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 05:52 PM

Well, there you go. Some for the taxi, some for the bus, and some for the S-Bahn. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I'm sure you will make the right one, whatever it is.

Bottom line -- drink the beer, not the water. Have a blast!!!
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 01:52 AM
Peep

Hey! The water is good, too!

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Will be sure to drink lots of beer . . and water! Thanks to everyone for your posts!