Hotel in Lyon

Aug 25th, 2003, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Hotel in Lyon

Looking for a decent resonably priced hotel in Lyon for the middle of October. Any ideas. Thanks
Aug 25th, 2003, 10:22 AM

Hotel des Artistes is a nicely furnished, attractive, reasonably priced, and well located hotel very near the Lyon theatre (opera house?.
Aug 25th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Have read other posts describing this hotel also. Do you have a website for them or how we should book them. Going the 18/19th Oct. do you think we should book ahead.
Aug 25th, 2003, 10:49 AM

I don't have a website for them and was not able to quickly find one when I "googled", but there were other sites that you could use to make reservations. I would probably book ahead, but I tend to do that if I want to stay some place in particular; may not be necessary, but why not, if you're sure that's where and when you're going.

A nice, homey restaurant with a longstand reputation is La Voute, also in downtown area, familiarly known as Chez Lea, for the chef.

Enjoy Lyon!
Aug 25th, 2003, 10:52 AM

typo:long-standing reputation
Aug 25th, 2003, 11:11 AM

Carley, here's the 800 number for Artistes.
You can ask rates and maybe a catalog or ask about a website.

1-800-426-5445
Aug 25th, 2003, 12:46 PM

We stayed at the Bleu Marine which was quite reasonable --booked through Expedia--about $80 a night for a queen and breakfast--and found it to be very nice. It is changing names to Kyriad--Lyon I think. It is a brief walk to the old town but in a very quiet and pleasant street right off the main part of town.
Aug 25th, 2003, 01:12 PM

La Voute is my favourite restaurant in Lyon. Fantastic pork pate and quennelles. The chef is magnificient enough to come to table and ask you how your food tasted. I remember sharing a chartruese with him.

I can't remember the hotel I stayed at in Lyon. It was a Mercure or a Marriot, one of the chains. It was in the "new" Lyon, as opposed to the "old" Lyon on the opposite side of the Rhone. I suggest you stay in the charming "old" Lyon.
Aug 25th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone for your help. I appreciate it.
Aug 25th, 2003, 02:41 PM

Although I've never stayed there, I can assure you that the Hotel des Artistes is in a great location, within easy walking distance of the old town (5 minutes across the bridge), the shopping areas, transport (Bellecour metro station) and lively restaurant districts (rue Mercière, Vieux Lyon and rue des Marronniers).
Website is here: http://www.hoteldesartistes.fr/
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:11 PM

If you'll be in Lyon over a weekend I'd look at the "Bon Ville en Weekend" promotion going on in many French cities other than Paris. If you stay a Friday or Saturday night you get one night free. Even though the promotion technically ended March of this year, I was able to get the same deal in Nantes for the last weekend in November this Fall. It can help stretch the travel budget.

www.tourisme.fr/week_end/ot-index.htm

I stayed at the Hotel DuBost a pleasant little two star near the Perrache train station in April. Stayed for around 40euros a night on a weekend so had a total of 80euros for a 3 night stay.
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:29 PM

Indy, Did you eat at Cigale? I was there years ago and hope to stop there again in September. Is the food still good?
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:32 PM

We have stayed a couple of times at the "Globe et Cecil." Reasonable prices and great location on the Presqu'Ile.
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:38 PM

Hey cigalechanta!

No my Dad & I didn't eat there. We ate at Brasserie Georges by Perrache, a couple of little places in Vieux Lyon and the rest of the meals were along r. Marrionners. I really liked Lyon and wished I had more time, but them I always do.

Thanks to you & StCirq it's Nantes & La Rochelle in November. I'm really looking forward to it, but I have 3 months to wait.
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:47 PM

Sorry Indy, I meant La Cigale, a beautiful old Brasseie in Nantes.
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:58 PM

Now you're taunting me. I don't get to go for 3 months. It's on my list of things to do. On the web it looks beautiful. I really like the Belle Epoque look. The Passage Pommeraye looks stunning as well.

You'll be in Nantes in September? Make sure you file a trip report so I don't miss anything.
Aug 25th, 2003, 06:09 PM

I'll be visiting friends outside Poitiers and want my husband to see La Cigale. I took a train long ago by myself to Nantes and wanted to eat at Cigale. They had stopped serving, no customers. But the waiters took pity on me and whipped me up salad, cheese board bread so I wouldn't go away hungry and asked me questions about the USA. Now I want to have the Fruit de Mer they serve. It's one of Jane Birkins favorite restaurants. I have the menus, the waitors gave me on my pullman kitchen walls. The cover is the mosaic cigale.
Aug 25th, 2003, 06:21 PM

That's a nice story. I better show up at meal times 'cause I'm a middle aged man and not a sweet, young lady like you have to be to get that kind of service.

I googled and found this:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/print...108294,00.html

Jane Birkin makes the food sound wonderful. I may have to be like her and eat there twice a day while I'm in Nantes.
Aug 25th, 2003, 10:19 PM

Carley, we too found the Globe et Cecil reasonably priced and very conveniently located on Presqu'Ile right off of the Place Bellecour. The a/c is also quite efficient, not that you're likely to need it in October. http://www.globeetcecilhotel.com/
Aug 26th, 2003, 07:08 AM

hi,
i couldn't get into the other hotels mentioned when i went to lyon last year, but i ended up at the comfort hotel de st. antoine, also located in the presqu'ile section. it was clean and comfortable. the location was great too, walking distance to old lyon.
make sure you walk around at night in lyon; i thought it was prettier than paris at night!
http://www.hotel-saintantoine.fr/access.htm