Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Public transportation and discount options in Munich & Berlin? Also airport transportation options for Munich, Berlin, Vienna?

Public transportation and discount options in Munich & Berlin? Also airport transportation options for Munich, Berlin, Vienna?

Sep 28th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi, I've not had time to research this time of the trip yet.

Berlin

I know that there's a Berlin card, which I bought in 2003. However I don't recall it being an especially good deal. Should I get it?

What about day passes? I'll be there for 6 days but I'll get in late the first day, leave early on the 6th and be mostly out of town for two days.

I know there's a 3-day museums card for Berlin.

My flight leaves early on a Sunday from Tegel (for Vienna). It's a 7 am flight. I believe public transportation is up and running by then? I'm staying near the Anhalter Bahnhof S(?)-bahn station in Holiday Inn Express. Or should I take a taxi?

Vienna

I'll be in Vienna for one day. My flight home leaves at 5 pm. I know there's a fast train that connects the airport with a train terminal, but I need to get to the city proper afterwards. Is this the "best" way? Should I cab? I seem to recall the train link is expensive.

Somehow I doubt the tourist card for Vienna if it exists is worth getting, but I'll go to at least two museums.

Munich

Pretty much the same questions. My hotel is near Hauptbahnhof. I think there's an S-bahn that will get me there? I'll be there for 4 days, but I leave at 6 am on the fourth day. I'll be mostly out of town on the 2nd day. Will see museums mostly on the first day (a Saturday) since they're closed on Mondays.

Please let me know about money-saving tips.

Thanks!
Sep 28th, 2006, 08:48 AM

My wife and I have been to Germany this summer. We spent a part of our holiday in and around Munich. So I'll try to help you on that part.

There is a 14-days Bavarian Palaces Ticket for one and two persons together and it covers the palaces and castles throughout Bavaria.

This ticket gives you free entrance to Munich Residence, Nymphenburg Palace, Schleissheim Palace, the three Ludwig Castles (Neuschwanstein, Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee), etc. For one person it costs 20 euros, for two is 36 euros.

We used this ticket and visited 7 castles and palaces. From the third visit we went in for free, as the ticket paid out.

If you go out of town you can use the Bavarian Ticket (good for up to 5 persons travelling together - 25 euros one off payment), which covers local transportation as well.

The Happy Weekend ticket is good if you go from Bavaria to some other land and it costs 30 euros with the same conditions.

Alte Pinakothek is closed on Monday and Tuesday is a long day, till 8pm.

Neue Pinakothek is closed on Tuesday, and Wednesday is a long day, till 8pm.

From the airport you have an S1 and an S8 that take you to the Hauptbahnhof.

There is a card that you can buy from an automated machine, a fahrkarten. I think it's the one covering XXL Area. There is a map drawn there, so you'll see in what area is the airport.

The card is good especially if you need more transportation during the day, otherwise I am not sure it would pay itself out.
But you can check about this there, at least you know what to look for and ask.

For around town you have some options there, and one of them covering the inner area, 4 or 5 zones, is very good, as that is where most things in town are. Forgot the cost or the name of the card. But it is there, look for it among the options given by the automated machines.

You might want to read through my trip report, maybe you get some ideas (Bier, Pretzels und Kastles)

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34869660

Hope that I shed some light for you here and there.
Sep 28th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks gabriel. I skimmed your report yesterday and read a couple of stories about the kindness of locals. I just don't have time to read it in detail right now. But I found out about the twin pass for castles from your report. Thanks for that!

I did get to do some research on my own and I'll write a little about it in case people find it useful.
Sep 28th, 2006, 12:33 PM

I believe Berlin and Munich have an especially cheap weekend public transit pass that accommodates i think up to several people at a ridiculous low price.

To wit: recently at the tourist office near Zoo station in Berlin there were four Japanese girls who could barely speak passable English and the clerk was trying to tell them that instead of buying four single tickets for four single rides they could instead by the weekend pass for unlimited travel for a cheaper price. The poor gals couldn't understand this, unfortunately for them. You can buy these weekend passes i think in the automatic machines at each station and many bus stops.
Sep 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, PB, I'll try to look into it.

Here's what I've found so far:

Munich

I think the S-bahn to the city is 8+ euros. There's a Munich card that's 12-13 euros for the outer zones. I wonder if the ride from the airport is included. If it is, I think it's worth getting it for Saturday (I'm leaving tomorrow).

I'll check at the airport to see if the ride is included.

Most of the museums don't seem to be included in the Card, but I think that there're some reductions at some of the smaller museums -- like Haus der Kunst, where I plan to visit.

So assuming that I'll use public transportation a few more times on Saturday and go to one or two attractions covered by the card, I should probably just get it.

Berlin

It's a little confusing for me. The city is divided into Zones A, B, C. There's a day ticket and a 7-day ticket. The airports are in zones AB. Zone C is basically the suburbs, so I guess most people won't need Zone C, unless you go to Potsdam or something (I think it's Zone C, but don't take my word for it -- I'm not planning to go Potsdam).

There's a 24 h and a 72 h hour Welcome Card, and you can also buy the 72 h hour Card with the 3-day museums pass for 35 euros (the museums pass alone is 15 euros), which offers a small saving.

I've not decided what to do yet.

Vienna

There're three options for airport to city center. A fast train (the most expensive -- but much cheaper for what I was thinking -- at 8 euros), a bus service, and the S-bahn. All run every half hour, but the bus may be slightly more frequent. I've printed the schedules off the web (the Vienna airport website has details) and I'll study them during the trip when I'm about to leave.