Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Distance from Franz Josef Airport in Munich to Im Hauptbahnhof Train Station in Munich

Distance from Franz Josef Airport in Munich to Im Hauptbahnhof Train Station in Munich

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Heidi

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I will be coming into Munich on an overnight train from Italy that arrives at about 7:00 AM. I am pricing rental cars right now and trying to decide where to pick up the car. I see some locations downtown and then also the airport and a train station. Does anyone know how far it is between the 2 listed above? Or can someone tell me the easiest place to get a car when we are coming in by train? I don't want to spend a lot of time or money travelling all over to get to the car. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Heidi

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:19 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening. Heidi
It is approx 10 km from the Hauptbahnhof
to the Flughafen. There regular train
service from the HB to Flughafen....
search on yahoo, FRANZ JOSEP AIRPORT-
MUNICH for additional information.
Richad of LaGrange Park, Il..

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:20 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening. Heidi
It is approx 10 km from the Hauptbahnhof
to the Flughafen. There regular train
service from the HB to Flughafen....
search on yahoo, FRANZ JOSEP AIRPORT-
MUNICH for additional information.
Richad of LaGrange Park, Il..
PS would think the airport would be a
better place to pickup a car, locations within cities can be a bit
of a problem locating and getting too.
rjv

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Bob Brown

Hi Heidi. I fear I must diagree with Mr. V on his distance figure.
The distance from central Munich to the airport is more like 29 K, which is about 18 miles. The train trip on the S bahn an take about 35 to 40 minutes.
I came in and went out with the Lufthansa bus. I rode the bus to the Nordfriedhof stop, where a taxi was waiting by radio call to take us to our hotel in Schwabing. I did not time the trip, but it was relatively efficient because we were traveling before the afternoon rush.
I see no reason to go to the airport to get a rental car when there is a group of rental car agencies in the train station. They are up a level, but for the life of me, getting there that evening to pick one up is a big blur.
I recall we rented from Sixt, and finding the place where the car was took us to another building where we bungled around for 15 minutes trying to find it. Then when we returned the car, at a different place, we ran full tilt into German bureaucracy at its finest. The entry to the Sixt lot was blocked by arriving cars. The driver of the car carrier said his job was to drop them right there. The guys down in the garage said that it was not their job to come up and get them. So about 6 cars were blocking the ramp.
And no one would move them.
Fortunately a friend of ours who lives in Munich was along and with me chiming in, we told them that we were leaving our car right there, and that we were on our way to complain as long and as loudly as it took.
Someone moved our car.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Mike

Heidi, Bob Brown is correct about the distance from the train station to the airport. S-bahn 1 or 8 will take about 35-40 minutes. It's a hike. If you can rent downtown, do it.

We found that you don't need a car to get around Munich -- I assume you are picking up and heading out of town.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:14 PM
Heidi

Thanks for all of the advice, I really appreciate it. Yes we are taking the car and driving around for a week and then returning to Munich to stay for 5 days for Oktoberfest. It sounds like picking it up at the train station is a good idea, but one more question: if I am coming on a train from Italy is Im Hauptbahnhof the station I will end up at? I just want to be able to pick up the car fairly quickly and get on our way.

Thanks again,
Heidi

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Bob Brown

As far as I know, every train of any importance bound for Munich goes to the main station, Der Hauptbahnhof. I have been in and out of Munich several times, and always got on and off at the main place.
Unlike London, Vienna and Paris, which have several main stations, the Hauptbahnhof in Munich is THE place.