Train terrorism

Old Mar 4th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train terrorism

The International Herald Tribune reports that terrorists are threatening to place bombs along train tracks in France unless a ransom of over 5 million Euros is paid. One bomb has been found so far, and workers are searching line by line for others.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 11:12 AM

ttt Comments? I have a really nervous husband yet don't want to be intimidated by terrorists. I don't trust the security in our own country so it's hard to trust that in a strange place.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 11:21 AM

Terrorists can strike us at home or they can strike us in the air or they can strike us on a train or they can strike us in a foreign city. There's no reason to think any of these are more or less dangerous than any other.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 12:01 PM

Underhill:

I heard the ransom story about French trains two weeks ago. I don't know if this makes you feel any better, but it's not a new story.

WillTravel is right...no place is safer or more dangerous on any given day than any other place or mode of travel.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 12:11 PM

That was something like two weeks ago. After that ALL the rails were searched, and there was just that one. I think that was just some petty criminal trying to get rich fast.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 01:53 PM

They have resurfaced with a letter to the Elysee. They are now asking for more money and are threatening 3 symbolic sites outside of the train system in addition to their existing train threat. The article on France2.fr does not give further details.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 02:49 PM

I think Elina is right - terrorists don't want money - they want to bring attention to their cause by causing an outrage, being top of the news for days, and to cause fear and panic.

These groups have enough income streams without resorting to extortion. It's just some lowlife trying to make his fortune on the back of all the heightened fears surrounding railways following the Spanish attack.

We must do our best to just carry on; be on our gaurd - yes, but just act like the normal civilised people we are.

Dr D.