Search

No More Pigeons

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No More Pigeons

I wanted to post a message in resonse to KidsToLondon about the "new" laws regarding not feeding pigeons in Trafalgar Square, but for some reason there was no Reply button on that message. Anyway, I was there last April and found Trafalgar Square to be virtually pigeon-free, quite a change from it's typical pigeon-covered image. Turns out the city now employs live hawks (and a handler) to discourage pigeons in Trafalgar. The hawk doesn't attack the pigeons, just scares them away. Each bird works a four hour shift, the handler switches them at lunchtime. Even if its not actually outlawed, feeding pigeons has been strongly discouraged all over - you'll always see "Do Not Feed" signs in train stations. Pigeons carry diseases and deserve the name "rats with wings".
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 01:57 PM
PBT

Let's see how you will feel about these hawks when one of them attacks your beloved Chihuahua!
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 02:14 PM
uuhhhh

can one train a hawk not to attack pigeons?

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 02:33 PM

Mmmmm squab, my own little revenge...
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 05:16 PM
ira

I am outraged that those poor hawks are being forced to perform labor for the government without being paid a proper wage, not given benefits and not allowed to strike.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 05:23 PM

Hey, they only gotta work a four hour shift though. That's better terms than most of us get.
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 02:16 AM
Sylvia

It's much nicer without them.
I believe that they are fed first thing in the morning and have learned not to come at other times.
I wish they'd have a similar law in Venice.

Old Nov 27th, 2003, 03:02 AM

Hawks can go on strike whenever they like..I well remember the embarrassment of a falconry demonstrator at a local show (in the London suburbs) whose prize perergrine took off for Oxford St...
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 03:47 AM

>Pigeons carry diseases and deserve the name "rats with wings".

Given in England that the main killers are cancer, cardiac and stroke I think disease is much overrated. The fact we try to irradicate disease means we're intolerable and develop allergies. Vote for pigeons, vote for disease - you know it makes sense.

No one seems to mention that pigeons have those lovely irridescent necks that change colour when you look at them. It's just all bad news from some quarters.
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 05:13 AM

As visitors to Trafalgar Square will have seen before, there used to be pigeon food sellers around the Square. The Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, bought them off over a period of time with a hefty sum from the public coffers to compensate them for their loss of earnings. (It certainly weren't no chicken feed). You cannot buy food any more, therefore now, no pigeons.