Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should I be Worried About Train Strikes In Italy...for our wedding???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be in Italy from Sept 1-14th. Right now they are calling for a strike of boats/trains for the night of Sept 6th and all day Sept 7th. Isn't this strange that they "schedule" the strikes? Do they change often? Do they strike without warning? We are getting married while we are there and will have to travel from Positano to Naples for paperwork regarding our wedding....just getting a bit nervous. Anyone delt with the "strike" situation that can offer any info? Any recommendations on any thing we should plan for? We do have other train travel planned during our stay too....help! (from a nervous bride!)

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 07:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes in Europe strikes are usually scheduled and may change. In Italy they are usually listed on the trenitalia website.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 07:40 PM

Almost every time I've been to Italy (more than 15, at various times of year) there has been a train strike. My experience is this: Whomever you ask about it will tell you something different.

My habit once there is to watch the morning news for the weather report and strike announcements. "Sciopero" (show-per-oh) is the word for strike. The news story may also show a written schedule for the strike. Yes, they are scheduled, and yes, they last for the set period of time.

Six years ago in Sorrento I saw a sciopero reported on the trains for the following day, the day we needed to head to Rome. We then tried to verify the strike a number of ways: at the hotel front desk, at the tourist info booth in town, at the train station. All replied, "Oh, there's no strike tomorrow." Knowing the Italian system, we didn't really believe anyone. The next day as we checked out of the hotel, again we asked the clerk, again he replied "no strike." We hailed a cab, got in, and said, "stazione" and he replied, "sciopero!" Yes, there was indeed a strike, but was only scheduled until 1PM. So we had three extra hours to kill until train time.

Last year when we were in Rome, there were large poster notices and LED signs detailing the strike the next day. The information systems in Italy are improving.

Once the strike is over, the trains get quickly back on schedule. However, you could imagine they would be extra crowded.

I would check the sites mentioned and not make important travel plans for the projected strike times.

But really--don't sweat this. Most Italians don't because it happens all the time.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Melissajoy

I too worried about train strikes in Italy. I learned that the train strikes must be scheduled at least 2 weeks in advance, and the schedule of strikes is available if you know how to find it...I've come across it several times but sorry forget where, on-line. also I learned that even when there are strikes there are certain trains that are still guaranteed to run, and these would be the Eurostar trains....I never did learn which Eurostar trains were guaranteed to run even when there was a strike, but I booked our train tickets for Eurostar to feel safer. Also scheduled strikes can be cancelled, which would be good news!

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Last time we went to Italy, we were there 2 weeks and had no issue with the strikes. I am only nervous because of our wedding and taking care of necessary paperwork. I know we can probably get there another way, but I just don't want to worry about anything extra....it has been crazy planning an entire overseas wedding on the internet!!! Cross your fingers for us!