Train from Rome to Naples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying into Rome (Sept 30)and travelling directly to Sorrento by train. I have always taken the train from Roma Termini, but my hotel in Sorrento (Hotel Royal) said that there is a train directly from the airport to Naples. Which way should we go?
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 02:40 PM

Airport to naples where you will have to change to the local train to sorrento.
That way you save going to the rome termini then doublebacking to naples.
But be sure you check to see if this is a local or express train big time difference as I found out the hard way.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 03:46 PM

I don't mean to challenge either the word from your hotel or the experience of JoanneH, but both the bahn.de and tranitalia.com timetables show no direct trains from Fiumicino to Naples. All show either at least one connection at Termini or other stations in Rome. What am I missing?
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 07:19 PM

After a search on Trenitalia, I got the same results as TimS. I was curious to find out if there is, in fact, a direct train from Fiumicino to Napoli, as that will be my route next May.

ChristinaR, why don't you contact Hotel Royal again and ask them for specific information about the direct train route? My question is a little self-serving because it would make my life easier next year, as well as yours in 30 days.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 07:31 PM

Add me to the list for being curious about the train from FCO to Naples; I need that route on Sept. 22.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 07:48 PM

I understood that there is a shuttle train from the Rome Airport to the Roma Termini and then Trenitalia to Naples. We're planning this route in October, but if there is a way to eliminate the airport shuttle, please let us know!
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:28 PM

I am afraid that the Thomas Cook European Rail Timetable confirms that there is no through train from Rome airport to Naples.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:29 PM

Hi all, I did some research on Google as I had never heard of a train that went directly from FCO to Naples either.

Via the sorrentotour (http://sorrentotour.it) website under transportation I read that Alitalia has a train that goes from FCO to the Naples Mergellina train station. The website said that IF one is arriving at FCO on Alitalia you make the arrangements to take the train at the same time you buy your airline ticket with Alitalia and that your luggage is checked through to that Naples train station.

Now I wonder if ones luggage would be on the train to Naples.
I also wonder if this website was uptodate (I have found often Italian websites are not).
I went onto the Alitalia website and I did not see anything regarding this train.
Interesting!

I hope that you get information from the Hotel Royal as to all the pertinent information and post back here Cristina as I am sure many Fodorites would like further details. Take care!
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 11:43 PM

There is a relatively new super fast train from Rome to Naples (Naples to Rome)that you will be able to find information of times on the Trenitalia website. I know about this because I booked 2 tickets back from Naples to Rome on 19th October for myself and daughter and at present there is a special deal of "Two for One" (duoperuno?)and my first class ticket(s) cost me 39 Euro. The train journey is just over one hour. You might like to look into this and see if you can match times of the trains from the airport and then onto Naples.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 01:13 AM

The Alitalia trains ceased a couple of years ago, I believe, so there are no direct trains from Fiumicino airport to Napoli.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

I emailed the hotel several days ago. This is their reply:

You have two option(Bus or Train):

From Rome airport "Leonardo da Vinci" take the train "Ferrovie dello Stato" from inside the airport to Naples, get off at the station "Tiburtina" and then walk to the square outside and look for the "MAROZZI " Bus ROME-SORRENTO which leaves every day at 15.00. Get off the bus at the last stop "Sorrento Piazza Tasso". From there you can either call the hotel from where they will send a taxi which will normally take between 10-15 min to reach you, or you will also find a taxi stand very close to the bus stop.

Another option is to go to Termini Station(Train Rome-Naples) or Tiburtina Station (Rome) and then follow instructions "How to reach us by train"HOW TO REACH US BY TRAIN
From Napoli Central Station "Ferrovie dello Stato" you need to go to the local train line "Circumvesuviana" . A train leaves every hour for Sorrento. Get off at the last stop "Sorrento". From there you can either call the hotel from where they will send a taxi which will normally take between 10-15 min to reach you, or you will also find a taxi stand very close to the station.

I was confused so I emailed my cousin in Rome and he also said that the only way was from the Roma Termini (with a train shuttle from the airport)!
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 03:25 AM
ira

Hi CR

The last notice from the hotel is partly correct: the Marozzi bus leaves Rome Tiburtina at 15:00 on **weekdays** only.

Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:28 AM

Hi Cristina - The confusion lies in a simple mistake on their part.

Instead of

- take the train from inside the airport to Naples.

... it should read

- take the train from inside the airport to Roma Tiburtina.

N.B. This is NOT the train to Roma Termini but the train directed to *FARA SABINA/ORTE*

(It goes via Roma Tiburtina ... and several other local Rome stations)

You would ONLY choose the above option if you want to go to Sorrento from Rome by bus (- Marozzi):

Dep 15.00 Roma Tiburtina.
Arr 17.00 Sorrento

Fare: €17 - one way

http://www.marozzivt.it/

If you prefer to go by train it involve a change of train at Roma TERMINI as others have said.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

P.S. Hi Ira - I think you misread the Marozzi timetable.

Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:30 AM

P.S Correction - That should read ..

Arr. Sorrento 19.00
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Dear Steve,
Thank you SO much for clearing that up for me. I think we will either rent a car or get a driver.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 05:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The Alitalia train hasn't existed in years and was only for Alitalia flights.

You must train into Rome and then get the train to Naples. The superfast train, that 2toitaly mentioned, is the AV train and takes 1 1/2 hours. The ES trains take 2 hours. www.trenitalia.com

I've used the Marozzi bus before, but they have a very limited schedule. Also, the Tiburtina station is very seedy. I would use Termini station in Rome for trains, not Tiburtina.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 05:20 AM

I was only aware of two train stations in Naples: Garibaldi and Centrale, both of which are connected underground.

There is a Tiburtina train station located in Rome.

Is it possible that the directions from the hotel were written by someone who did not proof-read the text or verify the information, or the word "directly" was incorrectly translated from an Italian word to English. Some foreign words don't translate exactly to English.